Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Park

Classen Squirrel Park

Work is set to soon start on Squirrel Park, a grouping of four living units formed out of shipping containers.

Developer Peter Schaffer received approval yesterday from the Planning Commission to move forward with the project, which will feature four unique homes. The units at Squirrel Park will initially be for lease with the possibility of being sold as condominiums later.

The units will span two lots on the south side of NW 32nd just east of Classen and represents more urban infill where housing demand has surged in recent years.

The architect is AHMM of London, the same group that designed the recently-completed OKSea project, which was also formed out of containers.

AHMM continues to make an impact on urban Oklahoma City, having already designed Level, Mosaic, The Plow, Duncan Bindery, the American Energy Partners fitness center and the recently announced Bob Moore Headquarters.

Default Re: Squirrel Park

I love these. I would live in a shipping container house - just not on 32nd and Classen. But someone else will be very happy with that location I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I love these. I would live in a shipping container house - just not on 32nd and Classen. But someone else will be very happy with that location I am sure.
    What's wrong with 32nd and Classen?

^Not sure. I just bought a house at 42nd and Classen. Maybe betts knows something we don't.

5. Default Re: Squirrel Park

42nd and classen demographics are a bit different. To me for what these will probably cost I think they will probably be too high to justify for the neighborhood. Being that close to Lees Grand House would be a bonus though.

Interesting idea, but maybe it's just me, it's a terrible name.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I lol'd when I saw the name as well.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    42nd and classen demographics are a bit different. To me for what these will probably cost I think they will probably be too high to justify for the neighborhood. Being that close to Lees Grand House would be a bonus though.
    It definitely is a tier or three below the same blocks north of 36th, but there is a decent amount of investment going into the Central Park area right now...just not at the rate of several other inner city neighborhoods. I'm sure they will be priced much higher than the comps in the neighborhood, but you have to start somewhere. In the Highlands area of Denver (which is fairly nice now), there were people building $400k + houses next to dilapidated houses in the sub $50k range as early as 5 or 6 years ago.

On a positive side, it's two blocks from the newly renovated Memorial Park so that will be nice.

Blog Entries

Was there historically a park at this location that was removed? Weird name to pick out of the blue if not...

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I lol'd when I saw the name as well.
    Same reaction. But I am guessing I'm not in the TM.

They could use this as their logo. It's a Beaver, but close enough, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    #StillABetterNameThanGigglez

duplicate

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squirrel2.jpg 
Views:	2885 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	11415  

They could use this as their logo. It's a Beaver, but close enough, right?

Get outta here with your beaver.

Hey that's Bucky !

Power to the Beaver !

I bought my wife a shirt with this logo.....

17. Default Re: Squirrel Park

18. Default Re: Squirrel Park

I kind of like the name - it's quirky just like the development.

I have a friend that works for the UN in Afghnistan. He lives in a shipping container on the UN compound. Last time he was home we went to Anchor Down. He he walked in and said this looks like where I live!

Container homes are brilliant for this area right now. They're essentially money making place holders. Once the streetcar is running up Classen, the land these sit on will be worth what would currently seem like an obscene amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    So this area is something between Putnam Heights, Military Park, and Central Park. I don't think it's a bad area. It certainly has more potential though. Use Memorial Park for asset-based improvements in cleaning up this neighborhood.

I think as a whole the north side is way more diverse than people realize. Very scattered, mixed-income in nature (which is supposed to be trendy right now?).

I would like to take 5 of them, welded in an octagon shape and have the outside coated by these folks. Industrial Coatings | Rhino Linings Industrial

Have a gazebo with garden or what ever you wanted on your inside courtyard.

These have a lot of potential for the affordable, minimalist living that the younger people seem to be attracted to. On some blogs for these kinds of homes, I've seen these done really well and some done in a way that look shaky. Landscaping is a crucial element. The big fear, if not done right and well-maintained, is they could become the 21st century trailer parks.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    These have a lot of potential for the affordable, minimalist living that the younger people seem to be attracted to. On some blogs for these kinds of homes, I've seen these done really well and some done in a way that look shaky. Landscaping is a crucial element. The big fear, if not done right and well-maintained, is they could become the 21st century trailer parks.
    My thoughts exactly. Looks like a trailer park.

Thread Information