Widgets Magazine

Thread: 811 N Hudson

Midtown 811 N Hudson

The French and Unique buildings located just north of Elemental Coffee are being renovated and have been for several months. They have installed windows doors and a patio on the outside. Seems like more work has been done inside than out, but I haven't been able to see it. The buildings are looking great (maybe even almost complete) and I'm excited to see more life on Hudson once this development has tenants. I haven't heard any rumblings about this on this site or elsewhere. Anybody have the scoop?

The attached photo is a google street view grab from may. It looks much better now!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uniquefrench.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	13408

Default Re: 838 N Hudson

Here is a photo I took in November.

I know they have part of that space leased but am unsure of the tenants:

Default Re: 811 N Hudson

Also, the address where the building permits were issued is 811 N. Hudson, so I've renamed this thread accordingly.

Default Re: 838 N Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here is a photo I took in November.

I know they have part of that space leased but am unsure of the tenants:

HOLD UP!

Can we all take a look at this photo real quick. It looks like they just rebricked the front of the building. As if they just popped it off and put on what they wanted with cast concrete. The brick is very different and the side of the building looks very odd.

It bothers me it doesn't match or they didn't continue it around the side of the building. Maybe I'm just that OCD?

^

I believe all that was done when the building was originally constructed.

It was definitely not part of this recent renovation.

It used to be pretty common on urban buildings to spend money on nice brick along with more detailing on the front elevation and cheaper brick on the back and sometimes sides depending on the siting of the building. A really interesting example is the recently-renovated flatiron on 5th street. The two sides that face the street are blonde brick and the back side is a standard red. Back in the day the back side of the building was covered by other structures.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by streettree View Post
    It used to be pretty common on urban buildings to spend money on nice brick along with more detailing on the front elevation and cheaper brick on the back and sometimes sides depending on the siting of the building. A really interesting example is the recently-renovated flatiron on 5th street. The two sides that face the street are blonde brick and the back side is a standard red. Back in the day the back side of the building was covered by other structures.
    Another good example is the building on Broadway that's getting a new floor addition on top. The facade is beautiful but the sides are cheaper brick, I think because when we had the good old days of urbanism, the sides of these buildings would not have been (as) visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Another good example is the building on Broadway that's getting a new floor addition on top. The facade is beautiful but the sides are cheaper brick, I think because when we had the good old days of urbanism, the sides of these buildings would not have been (as) visible.
    Exactly right.

And you mean the Markham Building and there are a bunch more examples, including the Braniff where they completely tore off what was the backside and added glass because the original brick was never meant to be see on that exposure.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Exactly right.

And you mean the Markham Building and there are a bunch more examples, including the Braniff where they completely tore off what was the backside and added glass because the original brick was never meant to be see on that exposure.
    That's it - the Markham Building. Was just googling it. Thanks Pete.

Blog Entries

Nice, I'm glad it's several things. And don't get me wrong, I will definitely walk up to Jimmy's.

Thread Information