Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Yuzo

Default Re: Yuzo

It's so good, they'll find their following.

It's already my favorite Japanese or fusion place in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's so good, they'll find their following.

It's already my favorite Japanese or fusion place in town.

Totally agree. We went in for lunch last week and it is simply fantastic. It was our first time, but, three other separate groups at the bar said they work in the area and already come all the time. The rolls we had were quite tasty and refreshing. The lunch specials that other folks were enjoying appear to be great value, too. We are really excited to go back.

Went there for the first time yesterday. Very good sushi with fresh tasting fish. I did the lunch sushi plate with an order of gyoza. The sushi was chef's choice of fish but since it was slow they asked me if there was a specific one or two I wanted to try. It was nigiri sushi which included hamachi (the one I tried; it's apparently a yellowtail according to the chef), tuna, shrimp, a whitefish, and (I think) eel. The California roll that came with was good quality. I wasn't a big fan of the salad that came with it, which was essentially a spring mix topped with cold, shopped tuna. The tuna tasted wonderful, but it just didn't really fit with the lettuce. The gyoza were great; the sauce that came with them was great even though it didn't taste traditionally Japanese (it had an almost salsa quality to it). I would say my experience was probably an 8 or 9 out of 10. It is a touch pricey for lunch so I'll probably save it for a nicer occasion.

I went tonight. Had gyoza, calamari, big easy and bombshell rolls. Also had the pancetta (sp?), where it was like a creme brulee without the burned sugar.

Gyoza was good, @hookertime, the sauce had a house picante in it. The rolls were also good. I admired the creativity of the rolls more than anything like cayenne and strawberries/kiwi sauce.

The thing I liked most about Yuzo was the atmosphere though. Heard that this place is going to go from split lunch and dinner times to being open all day at the start of the new year.

Stopped by for lunch today. The interior, service, and food were all very good. Give this place a try because there were almost no other customers there during our visit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7346.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	13390

Dinner and drinks on Saturday night and it was fantastic as usual.

They were quite busy but there was no wait.

Had the pork buns appetizer which was absolutely delicious, as well as the Dr J roll which is now my favorite roll in OKC.

The service was excellent. Another great experience.

My wife and I randomly decided to try Yuzo a few weeks ago. It is absolutely fantastic. We have been back several times and continued to be impressed.

Yuzo has great appetizers and interesting sushi. It's definitely in my monthly rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Yuzo has great appetizers and interesting sushi. It's definitely in my monthly rotation.
    I can agree with that. Good atmosphere too. When I was last there, the chalkboard at the bar was worth looking at too, in addition to the menu.

10. Default Re: Yuzo

I heard from a good source that Yuzo is not doing well. Apparently they are behind on their rent and have other outstanding bills. I am not sure they will survive.

People need to go!

Perhaps my favorite place to eat in OKC. Really like the bar area too.

If they are behind, that's really sad. I make sure to go here at least once a month in my rotation. Was just there last Friday night and had a great time.

This is unfortunate. We love this place, prob our favorite Japanese place in town. If not our favorite, a close second behind Tokyo.

I'm sad to hear this. I commit to trying to eat here more often!

I had completely forgotten about this place... I will have to check it out. You know, I never hear any buzz about this place or see it mentioned anywhere... maybe they have a marketing problem?

Or there's just too many new restaurants opening? They're on our list to go to, but we only eat out at nice places (like this) once (maybe on rare occasions twice) a week and fast food once a week, and we now have about 70 restaurants on our list that we want to go to, but haven't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I had completely forgotten about this place... I will have to check it out. You know, I never hear any buzz about this place or see it mentioned anywhere... maybe they have a marketing problem?
    This. I love this place but never think of it

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Or there's just too many new restaurants opening? They're on our list to go to, but we only eat out at nice places (like this) once (maybe on rare occasions twice) a week and fast food once a week, and we now have about 70 restaurants on our list that we want to go to, but haven't yet.
    Could be true. For the area there are a handful of places. In terms of Japanese places though, I think this is it. I don't count Yokozuna.

I'm not aware that they have done anything significant to advertise. They are fairly invisible on social media and don't have much buzz. It's sad, but I could see this coming last fall. Advertising is important.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I'm not aware that they have done anything significant to advertise. They are fairly invisible on social media and don't have much buzz. It's sad, but I could see this coming last fall. Advertising is important.
    This is where I'm going to place my bet. Outside of this forum, I haven't heard of this place. AT ALL. "Build it and they will come" doesn't work if you don't tell anyone you built it.

21. Default Re: Yuzo

I went for the first time a couple weeks ago for lunch, and while our food was good the service was some of the worst I've ever had. It might've just been an off day for the server, but it look us close to 2 hours to get out of there, including waiting 30 minutes and eventually getting the manager to get our check. Hopefully they do well, but I don't think they're the only restaurant not doing well there.

22. Default Re: Yuzo

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    This is where I'm going to place my bet. Outside of this forum, I haven't heard of this place. AT ALL. "Build it and they will come" doesn't work if you don't tell anyone you built it.
    Well, it actually DOES work for a lot of places. There are a large number of places in Midtown, Film Row, Plaza, Uptown 23, and even Automobile Alley which have opened with zero advertising - many of which have yet to advertise - and many of them with very little if any social media, yet which are absolutely SLAMMED. Some places just have an "it" factor, or an operator with an existing local following, or an extra-special location, an extra-special interior, or fill a niche, or have great outdoor space clearly visible from the street, among various factors. This really has none of those things, not to say the food and interior aren't great, which they are in this case. They just had more built-in barriers to success, which of course are best met with aggressive marketing and communications.

Blog Entries

Hope they turn it around, but the overall lack of management is what I saw when they first started this thing. I worked with them when they first came to town. They were unorganized, remodel took months longer than they planned, several permit issues with the city (did work without permission), no electricity on during early remodel (to save a buck) etc.... Free social media is a must these days, and they aren't giving that much attention. I have also "forgotten" about them as well. There are too many options around there to be lazy.

I really like Yuzo. Excellent food and atmosphere. I do think the branding and marketing is one thing that is hurting it. Compare it to Cultivar next door. Big difference. Hopefully they are able to turn it around.

The food is good but could have predicted this. Of course, there's some magic that goes into a successful place, but these didn't help IMO:

- Space is too big. Lots of extra square feet they're paying for. Go small, pack in the tables, it's better to run a wait time.
    - Windows are too darkly tinted. Even if you're walking by you can't see if anyone is inside. It looks dead.
    - Biggest one- No patio. Even if it's just for looks, tables and chairs and an awning say, "We're open, and we're a restaurant." It's square footage you don't pay rent for. Bonus advertising from customers eating outside and looking happy. A block down Cultivar nailed this one.

Thread Information