Widgets Magazine

Thread: Sheng jian bao in OKC?

Default Sheng jian bao in OKC?

Does anyone know of a place where you can get sheng jian bao in Oklahoma City? There's one place I know of that has something similar, and that's New Great Wall just north of 15th and Santa Fe in Edmond, but I don't think those are the real thing.

Alternately, does anyone know any other chinese restaurants that serve the doughy pan-fried dumplings like New Great Wall? Many Chinese places have the picture of that style of dumpling up on their menu, but they're actually serving potstickers/gyoza.

Here's what sheng jian bao typically look like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shengjianbao.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	11140

And here's a picture of dumplings similar to what New Great Wall serves:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dumplings.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	11141

Where else can I find these? Bonus points if someplace on the south side or near OUHSC serves these!

Default Re: Sheng jian bao in OKC?

Good luck. This town is in desperate need of a real dumpling house. If I could find real Xiao Long Bao here I would be there every day.

Have you tried the Dim Sum menus at Grand House and Fungs in the Asian District for the Sheng jian bao?

If Fung's doesn't have them then your next best bet would be to purchase the steam buns from Super Cao Nguyen and pan fry them yourself; they have that same, pillowy texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Andon View Post
    If Fung's doesn't have them then your next best bet would be to purchase the steam buns from Super Cao Nguyen and pan fry them yourself; they have that same, pillowy texture.
    My wife loves these although I'm not a fan of the texture. If we are talking about the same thing, they are just inside the entrance, on the left where there is a rack of appetizer/snack/dim sum type foods and the buns are at the very end and on the backside of the rack. They are very easy to miss if you don't know where to look for them.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    My wife loves these although I'm not a fan of the texture. If we are talking about the same thing, they are just inside the entrance, on the left where there is a rack of appetizer/snack/dim sum type foods and the buns are at the very end and on the backside of the rack. They are very easy to miss if you don't know where to look for them.
    Yup, that's them. If you go there on Saturday or Sunday then they have that kiosk in the entryway where they sell a few more varieties of them, cash only.

Yup, that's them. If you go there on Saturday or Sunday then they have that kiosk in the entryway where they sell a few more varieties of them, cash only.
    I forgot about that! Love the green waffles!

Are you a fried tofu fan and have you tried the shop next door to Pho Lien Hua? They make their own tofu and if you ask for mushroom tofu fried, they will take it in back, cut it into 2x2 inch pieces, fry it for you and bring it back piping hot and fresh! Delicious! Also cash only.

One nice thing about being married to an Asian is that I quickly learned the good places to go in the Asian district!!!

Thanh-Son Tofu is far and away the best tofu in the metro, and you can instantly tell if a restaurant is using it in a dish. Quoc Bao uses their lemongrass tofu in a banh mi they have, and you would be hard pressed to find a better banh mi in the 405 (as an aside, Quoc Bao also bakes the bread for Pho Ca Dao, and I always thought that they had the best banh mi in the city until I tried them directly from Quoc Bao. Quoc Bao is cash only as well).

Thanh-Son Tofu is far and away the best tofu in the metro, and you can instantly tell if a restaurant is using it in a dish. Quoc Bao uses their lemongrass tofu in a banh mi they have, and you would be hard pressed to find a better banh mi in the 405 (as an aside, Quoc Bao also bakes the bread for Pho Ca Dao, and I always thought that they had the best banh mi in the city until I tried them directly from Quoc Bao. Quoc Bao is cash only as well).
    Gotta agree, Quoc Bao is easily the best banh mi in OKC. Loved them while we lived in Dallas, and was super happy when they came here. Hopefully, they're doing ok. A lot of times, when my wife goes to Quoc Bao, she says it's pretty quiet. Seems to be the case when I drive by as well.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Gotta agree, Quoc Bao is easily the best banh mi in OKC. Loved them while we lived in Dallas, and was super happy when they came here. Hopefully, they're doing ok. A lot of times, when my wife goes to Quoc Bao, she says it's pretty quiet. Seems to be the case when I drive by as well.
    I would think that they're doing alright, or at least I hope so; I'm sure they provide bread for a number of restaurants.

corwin1968 thanks for the fried tofu info. I have looked in there many times but never gone in. Now track me down some soup dumplings! They are on the cart at Fungs but are never soupy like they are supposed to be.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm assuming that at either place, SJB would only be available when they are serving dim sum? Or would they be able to make a batch separately?

Sorry for not contributing anything of substance, but this thread makes me actually taste the street vendor food from the night markets in Taipei and Hong Kong. Hao chi a!

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    Sorry for not contributing anything of substance, but this thread makes me actually taste the street vendor food from the night markets in Taipei and Hong Kong. Hao chi a!
    My wife says that back home, the food vendors arrive in her neighborhood at night and push their carts up and down the streets. They just stand in the front yard and pick and choose what they want to eat. I think street vendor food is her all-time favorite.

Bumping this thread... The restaurant scene has changed in the last three years, as well as the membership here. Does anyone know of any Chinese restaurants aside from New Great Wall in Edmond that serve these traditional chinese pan-fried dumplings? Not the thin-skinned gyoza potstickers (though those are good), but the doughy Chinese dumplings.

Like these:
    or or
    (The second and third photos come from this recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/04/...ppetizers.html)

It appears that Grand House does have them on their dim sum menu, but I'm hoping to find other Chinese joints that make them all week long without having to go all the way up into Edmond. Any ideas?

EDIT: It appears, based on this article, that the dumplings I'm looking for are actually called Guo Tie: https://www.driveontheleft.com/guide-chinese-dumplings/ (though Sheng Jian Bao would be amazing too)

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Bumping this thread... The restaurant scene has changed in the last three years, as well as the membership here. Does anyone know of any Chinese restaurants aside from New Great Wall in Edmond that serve these traditional chinese pan-fried dumplings? Not the thin-skinned gyoza potstickers (though those are good), but the doughy Chinese dumplings.

Like these:
    or or
    (The second and third photos come from this recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/04/...ppetizers.html)

It appears that Grand House does have them on their dim sum menu, but I'm hoping to find other Chinese joints that make them all week long without having to go all the way up into Edmond. Any ideas?
    Pretty sure that Grand House's dumplings are like those served every day.

Fungs Kitchen has those potstickers every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    Fungs Kitchen has those potstickers every day.
    You are my hero. Stopped by there for lunch today and they're exactly what I was looking for... And thankfully not too far away from work. Anyone know of any other places in the city that do these, especially on the south side?

Wahaha express in Edmond has it.

The original Dot Wo used to have a great version of this type of potsticker. Haven't been to their remaining store on the south side but may be worth a shot.

Thread Information