Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Keep in mind, the owners of these places pay promoters to go out and recruit patrons.

This is especially common in Midtown and Bricktown.
    Which seems kind of dumb at this point for Sunset if they’re doing that. The place is always packed and I don’t feel like it would need a promoter to get a crowd at this point.

Most of the crowd at Kong’s is trash now. The last few times I’ve been around there I’ve walked in and walked out. Bathrooms are always disgusting and the place is usually trashed. Women I know who’ve tied to go there basically have said it’s the only place in midtown that they feel like they need to keep their hand over their drink at all times for safety and generally avoid it now. I really hope Sunset doesn’t go that direction. It’s been crowded a few of the times I’ve been but has always been pretty clean and well kept.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Which seems kind of dumb at this point for Sunset. The place is always packed and I don’t feel like it would need a promoter to get a crowd at this point.
    Hiring promoters is how they got their crowd in the first place. Same with Kong's and almost all the places in Bricktown.

Hiring promoters is how they got their crowd in the first place. Same with Kong's and almost all the places in Bricktown.
    Figured that was par for the course for the Bricktown clubs but didn’t realize they were both doing it.

4. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

When you say "almost all of the places in Bricktown" you surely are referring to nightclubs, correct? The 4 or 5 clubs in Bricktown often get outsized notice, but there are dozens of other types of bars, restaurants and other establishments in the district who definitely do NOT practice what you are describing here.

^

Yes, meant clubs / late-night bars.

Yes, I remember Kongs when it first opened was doing a massive social media campaign using a lot of local "influencers" and contests.

I don't ever go to Kongs anymore, but I have been to Sunset a few times and it was always a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    “Shots by Sunset, a shot bar concept brought to you by Shyon Keoppel”

As long as OKC has had popular nightlife spots, the occasional gunfire at those spots has been expected. It used to be in Bricktown. Now it's moved to Midtown. Re the above shots fired, there can't be that many cars of that color in OKC. I imagine the police will have little difficulty finding the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    As long as OKC has had popular nightlife spots, the occasional gunfire at those spots has been expected. It used to be in Bricktown. Now it's moved to Midtown. Re the above shots fired, there can't be that many cars of that color in OKC. I imagine the police will have little difficulty finding the shooter.
    I hope you're right and they find the shooter. To be fair, I remember going to places like the Bowery, Velvet Underground, Inertia, Club Pyramid, Angles and countless other joints and even nightlife districts throughout the eighties and nineties and no, gun play was not common at those places. Also, once or twice a month is not "occasional."

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    ...To be fair, I remember going to places like the Bowery, Velvet Underground, Inertia, Club Pyramid, Angles and countless other joints and even nightlife districts throughout the eighties and nineties and no, gun play was not common at those places....
    Absolutely this! It should not "be expected", and it never has been and it never happened back then when I was going to those clubs too, this is a distinctly 2010s-now (maybe 2000s, I wasn't back here until 2009) thing.

Shouldn't be expected, but not a new problem: https://www.oklahoman.com/article/23...n-over-slaying.

Quote Originally Posted by Eze.2517 View Post
    Shouldn't be expected, but not a new problem: https://www.oklahoman.com/article/23...n-over-slaying.
    Find about 6-7 more of those that happened in roughly the same area in the same year, then we'll talk...

Quote Originally Posted by Eze.2517 View Post
    Right. I imagine any city of this size is going to have "that club" or "that part of town" where this sort of thing happens. Shots were fired, thankfully, no one died. That said, I'm sure the OCPD is handling it. There can't be that many bright orange camaramustangorwhatnot around town. Back when I was of the age people are when they go to these establishments, "that part of town" was a series of here one moment/gone the next establishments in north Bricktown.

I was told that Kong's is looking to expand into the old GoGo Sushi space.

16. Default Re: Kong's Tavern (formerly Gigglez)

UGH. What a waste of space that will be, as if Kong's isn't already enough of one.

Blog Entries

The exact opposite thing I was hoping would happen...

Man no kidding. Kongs sucks now.

Thread Information