Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Update on WinCo?

Default Re: Any Update on WinCo?

I don't know if this has been posted, but Walmart will not price match on Winco products. That's what I've been told.

Does Walmart price match on anyone's store brand? For that matter, does Walmart even carry it in the first place? I don't think it's so much a 'will not' price match, but a 'can not' because it's not available. One of Target's brands is Market Pantry, and I bet Walmart won't price match them either.

Since I've left The Beast (Walmart) ten years ago, they've apparently given store managers the final authority on who they will or will not price match. But it's always been their policy to not match prices on competitors' store brands. Price matching must be on the same item (brand, size, etc.) and they will not honor percent-off ads.

Yeah, it's always been that way. It has to be the same brand/size/everything, you can't use price match to have Walmart sell you a Samsung TV for $X just because Target sells a Phillips TV for $X. Walmart will start matching Market Pantry and other store brands as soon as Walmart starts carrying them.

^

It's exactly why price matching usually doesn't mean much apart from catchy advertising.

Price matching is a mixed bag. There are arguments that it's ultimately negative for consumers, although you're nuts to not take advantage of it. Lots of manufacturers have started implementing MAP (minimum advertised price) policies to try to stop the pricing wars. That's why you see more and more "add to the cart to view the pricing" messages. Amazon is notorious for having bots that crawl their competitor's sites to always make sure they're the cheapest, and at the same time those sites keep trying to come up with hurdles to prevent Amazon's bots from being able to harvest prices.

7. Default Re: Any Update on WinCo?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

It's exactly why price matching usually doesn't mean much apart from catchy advertising.
    I think the same thing applies to car dealers who claim "if you can find a better deal, we'll just give you the car!"

terryinokc Guest

Not specific to Moore..but I was in the Wal Mart at NW EXP and Council a couple of weeks ago. Had about 12 items separated on the checkout to be price matched with a Homeland ad in hand.
    Cashier said they don't do any price match any more....these were all name brand items. Not sure if this is on a store by store basis or not. She actually told me to go to Homeland to get the items at a better price.

9. Default Re: Any Update on WinCo?

Quote Originally Posted by terryinokc View Post
    Not specific to Moore..but I was in the Wal Mart at NW EXP and Council a couple of weeks ago. Had about 12 items separated on the checkout to be price matched with a Homeland ad in hand.
    Cashier said they don't do any price match any more....these were all name brand items. Not sure if this is on a store by store basis or not. She actually told me to go to Homeland to get the items at a better price.
    I think this is happening everywhere.... The Walmart in Ardmore is no longer price matching.

Since WinCo opened in Moore, the SuperWalmart on 19th street is making ZERO effort to compete on the grocery side. I used to go Wal-Mart several times a week. Now since WinCo opened, I go maybe three-four times a month. Each trip I walk through the grocery side and compare prices. WinCo is lower on virtually everything I check that I buy often.

But Crest is a different matter. They are actually trying to compete with WinCo on many items.

Hey Pete I think they started some sitework on the penn and memorial location. I remember someone saying they had to sort through some drainage issues and it looks like right now they're starting with that.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Hey Pete I think they started some sitework on the penn and memorial location. I remember someone saying they had to sort through some drainage issues and it looks like right now they're starting with that.
    Yes, thanks.

I need to get out there with my drone... It's on my list!

Thread Information