Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NW 16th and McKinley

Default Re: NW 16th and McKinley

They hope to break ground in January.

Building permits filed yesterday for this project.

2-3 months from breaking ground, per Ben Sellers.

2017?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    2017?
    LOL, Spartan.

Pete edited his post, which before said January. So I'm confused. It's February. 2-3 months would be April-May.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Pete edited his post, which before said January. So I'm confused. It's February. 2-3 months would be April-May.
    I didn't edit anything.

What is confusing about my post #51 above?

You're right. Wow I'm an idiot. For some reason I saw this thread had new activity, but it looked like this was the newest post. So that's why I was confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They hope to break ground in January.
    Thanks for updating this, which will be a really important project for bringing the Plaza's synergy into CTP.

They've started work:

Making some good progress here:

Would love to see Similar projects extend from here to Goro... or have those houses in between renovated.

They are about to start going vertical.

looks like there's still some urban grit 1 block away

http://www.koco.com/news/police-inve...-city/41410536

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    looks like there's still some urban grit 1 block away
    Blame god, not stereotypes about the inner city

http://www.koco.com/news/police-okla...ghter/41417760

Brick work has started on the bottom half.

Interesting...

The Journal Record - December 8, 2016
    Multi-use project near Plaza District gets go-ahead
    "Planning Commissioner Bob Bright said during Thursday’s meeting that he regretted approving a multifamily complex under construction on NW 16th Street. He apologized during the meeting for giving the project approval because it doesn’t fit the Plaza District neighborhood."

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Talker View Post
    Interesting...

The Journal Record - December 8, 2016
    Multi-use project near Plaza District gets go-ahead
    "Planning Commissioner Bob Bright said during Thursday’s meeting that he regretted approving a multifamily complex under construction on NW 16th Street. He apologized during the meeting for giving the project approval because it doesn’t fit the Plaza District neighborhood."
    Oh ridiculous. It's insane how blind some people are in this city regarding the future.

For all that many people in this city want to be like Dallas, few to none seem to have paid attention to just how far north of downtown "urbanization" is taking hold in one of the sprawl-iest cities in the country.

16th and McKinley is just about within walking distance of the Memorial...so why exactly are we freaking out about density in the area?

You know what doesn't fit the Plaza District neighborhood, Mr. Bright? Your vision...

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Oh ridiculous. It's insane how blind some people are in this city regarding the future.

For all that many people in this city want to be like Dallas, few to none seem to have paid attention to just how far north of downtown "urbanization" is taking hold in one of the sprawl-iest cities in the country.

16th and McKinley is just about within walking distance of the Memorial...so why exactly are we freaking out about density in the area?

You know what doesn't fit the Plaza District neighborhood, Mr. Bright? Your vision...
    What he said! I live in the neighborhood and I am excited about it. I am also excited about the three story condos going in at 13th and Classen.

I live in Gatewood and want more developments like this! This kind of thinking drives me absolutely insane. Bring on more density and more infill projects like this! What is terrible is the modern 1 story home across the street, that doesn't fit and shouldn't be allowed.

Absolutely love the house currently being built on 16th & Douglass

Bob Bright is notoriously unfriendly to new urbanism.

Younger and more diversity are needed on these commissions and boards.

I think it fits the Plaza well. On what grounds would it not be approved-- Personal taste?

I just really hate that dense, urban development is such a struggle in OKC. The Bob Bright ilk is trying to smear the Pivot Project guys by apologizing for approving their past project, and fighting the current. That's just a sign that the Pivot guys are really close to turning the corner and creating real change. How can Cornett and the Council keep Bright on a commission while they pretend to be pro-business?

That said, this type of public battle absolutely discourages others from getting involved as well. PR comes at a price. Bob Bright is on the losing side of everything, but he can still do some damage.

It is a godd----d miracle that we have a fraction of the development we have seen in the last ten years. The mentality in this city has been anti-urban, pro-suburban, anti-pedestrian, anti-historic preservation, anti-transit and even anti-arboreal for so long it is painful to think about.

And every little victory that is achieved, be it the streetcar, urban housing, or a rezoning request, requires a bloody battle. Progress does not come easily in this town.

Conversely, the cheaper and ****tier the development, the more likely it is to receive smooth, pain-free approvals, especially if it involves a heavy hitter tearing down a building.

Thread Information