Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Assembly

Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Cool on Spoon.

Its interesting there was some talk on here about people who hadnt heard of David Byrne and now I have to admit that several of Jones bookings have been groups I have never heard of, LANY, Judah and the Lion, St Paul, JJ Grey...I literally had never heard of these acts until they were booked at Jones. Its making me wonder why and how thats happening. On what type of stations do these acts get played?
    Good music hasn't been played on radio stations since the 1970s-1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    That really depends on your age. Most people listen to the music/genres they liked in their teens and early twenties for their entire lives. I loved the radio back in the 2000s up to around 2012.

Today radio is being killed by the likes of Spotify as well as the homogenization of the stations across markets. OKC radio hasn't been the same since Cumulus bought out Citadel. I wonder if teenagers are still listening to it like they did a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Cool on Spoon.

Its interesting there was some talk on here about people who hadnt heard of David Byrne and now I have to admit that several of Jones bookings have been groups I have never heard of, LANY, Judah and the Lion, St Paul, JJ Grey...I literally had never heard of these acts until they were booked at Jones. Its making me wonder why and how thats happening. On what type of stations do these acts get played?
    I know I've heard Judah & the Lion on 92.9 The EDGE. Moon Taxi, too. It wouldn't surprise me if they've played some LANY, though I don't immediately recognize their first few songs on Spotify.

5. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Also, just want to point out that massive mainstream success a la radio play is never a good indicator of the types of bands that make great shows for venues the size of Jones, Tower, Criterion, etc.. If you look at a lot of the bands getting radio play right now, they ALREADY PLAY Oklahoma City. But they are playing Chesapeake Arena. others in the Top 40 shot to that position so fast that they have already bypassed venues like this and if they are not headlining they are opening for someone else who IS playing Chesapeake. Some of them might have enough staying power to play arena shows more than once, others will disappear and never be heard from again.

The bands who are playing these venues - other than classsic acts - are almost always going to be bands that are big within genres that are not especially mainstream. And these days you rarely find those acts on radio anywhere, especially OKC, with the notable exception of The Spy.

The much-maligned Diamond Ballroom is a bit of an outlier in this regard by the way, because they book a lot of hard rock and metal bands, and up-and-comers in those genres DO get mainstream airplay here. The same is true for country in this market. You'll know the names of more of the up and coming bands playing a venue because they are being played on mainstream country stations here.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I wonder if teenagers are still listening to it like they did a decade ago.
    They don't. My sister works at a high school. The students make fun of her for listening to the radio. Kids these days stream everything.

7. Default Re: Jones Assembly

^^^^^^^
    Yep. Popularity these days comes from streaming algorithms, TV show licensing, commercials...

8. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    Yep. Popularity these days comes from streaming algorithms, TV show licensing, commercials...
    I always get a chuckle at the movie theatre when I get there early enough to see the advertising before the trailers. They will always show some video of the hot new music sensation and I get about 1/4 of the way through the video and I'm sitting there asking myself "People really listen to this?".

The last one I saw was when I went and saw Hostiles and it was an attractive Latina artist but she basically danced around the screen and sang the same couple of phrases over and over.

The only people I know below the age of 30 that listen to FM radio anymore are ones who have some type of barrier to use streaming service. EG: older car with no bluetooth/aux capabilities or not enough cellphone data to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    The only people I know below the age of 30 that listen to FM radio anymore are ones who have some type of barrier to use streaming service. EG: older car with no bluetooth/aux capabilities or not enough cellphone data to spare.
    Below the age of 30, listens to FM all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I'm 32 but that's my issue. Love Pandora/Spotify but I don't have bluetooth in my older Jeep. And I don't listen to music at work (on the road or in meetings most of the week and rarely in the office) or at home unless I have guests over.

Recently announced Vince Staples. I would consider that their biggest act they currently have scheduled...over 3.5M monthly Spotify listeners.

I have to say, the downside of dropping FM, which I've done, is that I don't get exposed to new music as much. I throw on a classic radio channel and call it a day. I have to rely on my kids to introduce me to new music.

There’s a handful of modern stations, pretty much every genre has its “today’s hits” station besides jazz, because jazz...

It’s all crap anyway. The hip hop is either bass heavy Memphis style featuring singers that sound like they’re on the codeine syrup, hook heavy Houston style featuring rappers who twang like they grew up on a farm, even though they’re from Long Beach, CA, and that god awful trap style with the auto tuned singing. And it all sounds like it’s produced by a teenager with a $50 keyboard. No musicality, thin, no beat, all bass.

Country and pop are essentially the same. It reminds me of rock and hip hop in the early nineties, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, NWA and solo members like Dre and Cube made it HUGE and within 6 months there was mass imitating. Similarly all country sounded the same in Nashville during the 60’s before the outlaw movement. I wouldn’t categorize those eras as crap, but nothing is like it is now with instant and near free distribution of media and laptop music production. You really have to sift to find quality. But what do I know? Cardi B was just just nominated for 2 rap Grammys, and I swear her whole persona and music is a joke turned serious. Like trump 2016.

Easy killer knocking Houston style rap...not sure who you are referring as being from CA trying to have that sound.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Easy killer knocking Houston style rap...not sure who you are referring as being from CA trying to have that sound.
    Didn’t knock Houston, but tell me Vince Staples, so many others, even Kendrick Lamar, are not heavily borrowing from the styles (but definitely not sounds) of Paul Wall, Chamillionaire, or Lil’ flip. Not that I’m a fan of that sound, but I’ve heard it before,

I couldn't tell you because I don't really listen to newer rap at all, but I believe you.

I always liked The Fat Boys. Do they still make music?

Trap rap is all I listen to on Pandora, but I like it for the deep base. The style of rap these days is definitely different as to the very first rap I listened to, i.e. Dre's The Chronic, etc.

20. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Is 1340 AM still around? I used to listen to that in high school

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I have to say, the downside of dropping FM, which I've done, is that I don't get exposed to new music as much. I throw on a classic radio channel and call it a day. I have to rely on my kids to introduce me to new music.
    I agree with this. One thing I liked/like about FM radio is being exposed to new music. I also think that an FM station with decent DJs and a decent PD is much more enjoyable to listen to than Pandora. Unfortunately with the state of radio these days you don't typically find that especially in smaller markets like OKC where big corporations like iHeartMedia have been homogenizing the stations. KJ 103 for instance used to be great but it's nearly unlistenable today (and it's not because I don't enjoy Top 40 anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Is 1340 AM still around? I used to listen to that in high school
    PowerJammin 1140/1340 is now Power 103.5 out of Anadarko. Unfortunately the signal is spotty in the OKC metro area. I find it hard to believe after all these years that OKC has never had a local hip-hop/r&b station on the FM dial. The biggest hip-hop hits eventually get played on Wild 104.9, but their playlist is much more limited and mainstream than something like 97.9 The Beat in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Do you use Spotify? They have some curated, probably algorithm based, playlists that I've used to find new music. I usually listen to Discover Weekly and Release Radar each week and consistently find new and new-to-me music that I like on them. The best part is that they are no where near as narrowly formatted as most radio stations are.

So to get this back on track,

When is the canopy going to be done?

They are waiting for the building permit to be issued then should start work right away.

Shouldn't take them long to have it installed.

25. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Just announced: Father John Misty. HUGE show. EXACTLY the type of show that we weren't getting only a couple of years ago.

Thread Information