Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Assembly

1. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    if this was 1996 ;–)

honestly, i wasn't aware these 2 bands were still around. both good, just haven't been aware of them lately.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of good artists/bands people aren't aware of... Not sure where to lay the blame for that but when about 95% of what I listen to never gets any local radio play.... I'd have to start there possibly... If anyone still listens to the radio.

In other news on good artists not getting enough recognition... John Moreland's fourth album, Big Bad Luv, released today..... Maybe he'll get booked to play here.... Was really hoping he was going to tour with Jason Isbell again this summer.

2. Default Re: Jones Assembly

In the video Graham says that the food comes first and that they're going to do 2-3 big shows a month where they dedicate the whole venue to the concert (~1,600 capacity), in addition to black and white concert footage on the big screen during food service and a record player upstairs in the cocktail lounge that people can either pick from the collection there or bring their own in.

This concept is completely different than anything in OKC, really looking forward to it.

3. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Unfortunately there are a lot of good artists/bands people aren't aware of... Not sure where to lay the blame for that but when about 95% of what I listen to never gets any local radio play.... I'd have to start there possibly... If anyone still listens to the radio.

In other news on good artists not getting enough recognition... John Moreland's fourth album, Big Bad Luv, released today..... Maybe he'll get booked to play here.... Was really hoping he was going to tour with Jason Isbell again this summer.
    Isbell was pimping Big Bad Luv on social media today, so I'd still consider this a possiblity.

4. Default Re: Jones Assembly

JJ Grey & Mofro announced for 9/27. They're an awesome band that puts on a great show. When they come to Oklahoma they usually play at Cain's, so big get for them.

Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    JJ Grey & Mofro announced for 9/27. They're an awesome band that puts on a great show. When they come to Oklahoma they usually play at Cain's, so big get for them.
    This is fantastic news! They are an awesome act!! Cannot wait to see them without having to drive to Tulsa or Arkansas! Great job by those at Jones Assembly!!

6. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Also playing Red Rocks 5 days before and Granada (Dallas) and House of Blues (Houston) the following weekend. Good company to be with.

Some Assembly required: Film Row’s venue with a menu to open early summer

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record May 15, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – The building that is now The Jones Assembly has a high ceiling, an open-air patio, and a view from downtown’s developing west side.

It can hold nearly 1,600 people for a live music event.

But it had to be more than that, said Graham Colton, one of the partners in the project at 901 W. Sheridan Ave. He’s working with Brian Bogert, Kirk and Fred Hall of Hall Capital, and chef Brittany Sanger.

“We didn’t see a financial model of just being a music venue,” he said. “We thought, ‘What does the city need? What can it support? What can we deliver? It felt a hell of a lot bigger than a music venue.”

Bogert said the monthly live music and ticketed events are a small part of the business plan. Tickets are on sale now for the first show, The Wallflowers and Better than Ezra on July 29.

But people should be able to try the fare a few weeks before the show.

“The food and beverage side is what we’re all about,” Bogert said.

Bogert co-founded The Social Order, the restaurant group behind Texadelphia, Fuzzy’s Tacos Shop, and the Norman-based Seven47. He and Colton have been friends for years. Bogert’s dad was Colton’s football coach. Bogert and Colton had talked about having a music venue for a long time. After a visit to Dallas’ The Green Room, which is a high-rated restaurant and music venue, the pair said that’s what they wanted to bring to Oklahoma City.

Sanger said she’s bringing her Le Cordon Bleu background and using it to add elevation to Midwestern classic dishes.

“We have some items that are pushing the limit, but we think they’re still approachable and people will try out of curiosity,” she said.

Born in Oklahoma City, Sanger said she’s excited to return to a fun time in her native town, where people are getting to try a variety of cuisines. She previously worked at Lakewood Art House in Boston, where she learned how to serve more than 200 people every night.

With France and the east coast in her repertoire, she said she’ll be able to set her dishes apart from other menus.

“I think we’re really setting a new bar as far as the different types of cuisines we’re combining into one menu,” she said.

The price point is still being decided, but Sanger said a burger will be about $11 and the starters about $9.

“We want to keep everything reasonable so people will come, love what they taste, come back, and bring their friends,” she said.

But getting to The Jones Assembly is difficult because of road closures. That wasn’t part of the original opening schedule, Bogert said. The neighboring West Residences’ construction plan was originally ahead of The Jones Assembly’s. Then, the West Residence’s work was delayed. Bogert said the partners thought they could open in the fall. Yet, Sheridan Avenue closed in March.

The salaried managing staff had been hired already, so they were eager for The Jones to open as well. Nearly everyone that was hired stayed around and was able to get additional training, such as sommelier classes.

Besides hiring people for an unopen restaurant, focusing on food and beverage meant the building needed a kitchen. An original concept for The Jones Assembly called for an Airstream trailer with a small kitchen that would provide the food.

But then the partners realized they needed a full kitchen. Sanger said she combined the best of her past kitchens to create a space that’s perfect for getting the food efficiently to the guests.

“It was a bigger bet, but it was a no-brainer,” Bogert said.

With millions invested in the renovation, Bogert said the group knows there’s a lot at risk. He’s partnered with a bank that’s supported his projects in the past.

“We wouldn’t take this risk if we didn’t think it was something the city needed,” he said.

Went to Dead Center party on Saturday. This place is amazing and very versatile. Not sure if the 1600 total includes the open roof section, because that wouldn't be a great place to watch the main stage. There is a small stage in the open area that will be great for smaller acts and summertime events. The booths at the front of the balcony / mezzanine would make great VIP seating if they use them for that. I didn't have any food, so I can't speak to that, but I would go there to just hang out at the bar. It may pose some challenges with sound as there are a lot of hard surfaces, but, in the right hands, I think it will work just fine. No doubt it's a very cool addition to our venue inventory and it sounds like Colton wants to have the main stage booked 2-3 times a month and I see it getting a lot of use for special events.

It's super cool space but so large it's hard to imagine how it will be used for a restaurant / bar.

My prediction is that they are going to have to do a fair bit of experimentation to figure that part out, otherwise the place is so cavernous it's going to be hard to not feel empty / dead.

But, hats off for spending a ton of money and doing things right. It's gorgeous and a tremendous asset to OKC. I'm sure the operators will do a great job, it just may take some time to figure some things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's super cool space but so large it's hard to imagine how it will be used for a restaurant / bar.

My prediction is that they are going to have to do a fair bit of experimentation to figure that part out, otherwise the place is so cavernous it's going to be hard to not feel empty / dead.

But, hats off for spending a ton of money and doing things right. It's gorgeous and a tremendous asset to OKC. I'm sure the operators will do a great job, it just may take some time to figure some things out.
    Yeah, I don't know how it'll be set up for a restaurant. I mean, the upstairs, for the bar and patio, and / or the open air area could work. But I don't if you'd just rope off the main floor or what. Probably just depends on what the demand is and how often they're open without an event.

Is there an entrance just to the open air side? I didn't notice.

I don't think there is a direct way in/out of the patio.

The concern about filling that space also comes from the tremendous amount of construction that will be happening all around for the first year.

Even before the start of all that work, 21c and Mary Eddy's was quite slow on my several visits. It's going to take some time for that area to start drawing crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    This is fantastic news! They are an awesome act!! Cannot wait to see them without having to drive to Tulsa or Arkansas! Great job by those at Jones Assembly!!
    I'm going as well. Haven't seen him play since Wakarusa several years ago so my concert crew is excited.

Had the opportunity to tour this place last night. Nothing else like it in OKC: high-end finishes, great use of space, two outdoor patio locations, etc. Can't wait for it to open.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jones_show.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	13864

People I have spoken to who have been inside the venue say it is very, very nice and will be a great addition in a somewhat new direction for OKC.

16. Default Re: Jones Assembly

For their Twitter feed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TJA.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	371.2 KB 
ID:	13917

That is beyond cool! What an awesome project!

Amazing use of that space. The greenery chosen and its locations is superb.

Man, I keep forgetting this place is about to open.
    When Stonecloud and this open it is going to be a really cool area.
    Both have to be opening soon... anyone heard any whispered dates?

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Man, I keep forgetting this place is about to open.
    When Stonecloud and this open it is going to be a really cool area.
    Both have to be opening soon... anyone heard any whispered dates?
    Check out post # 109.

so excited about this place! looks amazing!

Lol, I got far enough as to assume they would be open in time for their first concert July 29th.

I talked to them about this over the weekend and was told they have not committed to a date, but are hoping for "a few weeks".

Another piece of the puzzle being placed. Can't wait to see the entire picture for this whole area 5 years from now.

Does anyone know if this is strictly a music venue or if they will be holding public/private events as well?

Thread Information