Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Jones Assembly

Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    What do you think caused this swing, and what can we do to keep the pendulum on this side?
    1. The Tower kicked out Levelland (who had done nothing) and put the facility in the hands of Stephen Tyler and Chad Whitehead, and they've been incredible. They also just forged a relationship with the Granada in Dallas.

2. Jones has found its legs and has been consistently getting good shows.

3. The Criterion had a bit of a management shakeup and a new non-exclusive relationship with the Knitting Factory and you can see the difference in bookings.

4. It seems the city put a charge into SMG to provide the same sort of attention as the BOK in Tulsa. Mayor Holt recently tweeted about the upswing in concerts at the Peake.

And although it has yet to open, the main stage at Scissortail Park is being booked by the Jones guys and you can bet they will pull some good acts.

2. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Just today 3 shows were announced.... Cold War Kids at Jones, Switchfoot at Criterion, and Drive By Truckers at The Tower.... And I've not seen it mentioned here but Cheasapeake got one of only 6 Guns N Roses shows this fall.

I would bet far fewer people are traveling up the turnpike to spend their money at Cains and The Brady, and even the BOK.

4. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I would bet far fewer people are traveling up the turnpike to spend their money at Cains and The Brady, and even the BOK.
    I have a few shows outside OKC (Aaron Lee Tasjan in Fort Collins and Wilco in Austin) but other than that haven't been traveling to shows out of town like I have in previous years.... And the Wilco show was a decision on going to Tulsa on a Tuesday or just making a weekend of it in Austin to catch their show on a Saturday.

Even better Jones is right across the street from my office.... So I just walk to concerts after work now. It's awesome!

Jones is just great on so many levels.

Also, they helped bring Jeff Tweedy of Wilco to the Page Woodson auditorium in March.

6. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Jones is just great on so many levels.

Also, they helped bring Jeff Tweedy of Wilco to the Page Woodson auditorium in March.
    Yep and that was a great show!

Just Jeff, his guitar, harmonica, some stories, and great songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Yes... Saw Aaron Lee Tasjan on the patio side last year and despite the low turnout it was a great show... I actually think the sound on the patio is better than the indoor stage.

Son Volt may have a slightly larger turnout. I'll be there for this show and I'll be back in October for Lucero on the patio.
    After last night I’m now a big fan of the patio side concerts. It was awesome being able to snag a seat and the sound was good. They played a lot of my favorites but I felt like their set was pretty low energy. Didn’t seem like they were excited to play last night, but it could just be me.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    They played a lot of my favorites but I felt like their set was pretty low energy. Didn’t seem like they were excited to play last night, but it could just be me.
    I got that feeling too. It was a good show, but there was very low energy. Seemed like they flew through the first 3 songs without any pause between for applause. Felt pretty odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    After last night I’m now a big fan of the patio side concerts. It was awesome being able to snag a seat and the sound was good. They played a lot of my favorites but I felt like their set was pretty low energy. Didn’t seem like they were excited to play last night, but it could just be me.
    They played in Sweden on Saturday night... so maybe still a little jet lagged? I didn't sense much energy from the crowd either. Maybe it's just my age, but crowds in general seem stoic these days.

Overall, I thought it was a good vibe, though. Liked the outdoor set up. I wouldn't want it every time, but for a crowd that size, it's a good option for them to have.

We were wondering whether those apartments right above the patio go for a premium or a discount. Ha.

If you've never seen Son Volt before, then maybe their low energy demeanor came as a surprise. All the times I've seen them over their career they've been very similar to Tuesday night - I don't think Jay Farrar is wired any other way. You won't see him doing leg kicks or jumping off a drum riser!

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    If you've never seen Son Volt before, then maybe their low energy demeanor came as a surprise. All the times I've seen them over their career they've been very similar to Tuesday night - I don't think Jay Farrar is wired any other way. You won't see him doing leg kicks or jumping off a drum riser!
    Good point. I saw them in the 90s and it was a pretty mellow show, too. Well, we weren't, but they were. Ha.

12. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    Agreed.... Saw them at Will Rogers Theater back in the mid 90's and it was pretty much the same show.... Farrar is a songwriter not a rock star.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    They played in Sweden on Saturday night... so maybe still a little jet lagged? I didn't sense much energy from the crowd either. Maybe it's just my age, but crowds in general seem stoic these days.

Overall, I thought it was a good vibe, though. Liked the outdoor set up. I wouldn't want it every time, but for a crowd that size, it's a good option for them to have.

We were wondering whether those apartments right above the patio go for a premium or a discount. Ha.
    I looked at an apartment directly over the patio last week and it was the last one they had available. $1850 monthly for a two bedroom, but they were offering a free months rent with it.

about that retractable roof? did they give up on that? was on patio sunday for brunch and as soon as sun hit the table people were scattering like vampires. moving tables into whatever shade they could find or as we did, abandoned our table for indoor community area to finish cocktails.

Because the trees had grown up through the roof, they told me they had to have it redesigned.

I'll find out the latest and report back.

Because the trees had grown up through the roof, they told me they had to have it redesigned.

I'll find out the latest and report back.
    Um, trim the trees instead?

17. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Wondered about that roof when I was there for the Son Volt show because we had storms firing up north of us.

Thankfully the storms held off until well after the show but even the opening act mentioned a couple of times they were hurrying to get Son Volt on before the storms hit.

Was just told the roof is still in the works but it has to be redesigned to accommodate the trees, which have grown much taller than the tree farm led them to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Um, trim the trees instead?
    It would be pretty difficult to keep trees that large trimmed to fit below a roof without killing them.

Was just told the roof is still in the works but it has to be redesigned to accommodate the trees, which have grown much taller than the tree farm led them to believe.
    I wondered about that the last few times I've been there.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    It would be pretty difficult to keep trees that large trimmed to fit below a roof without killing them.
    Eh, it can be done, but I don't know what kind those are, so depending on the species, yeah, maybe. Also, replacing them with smaller ones would seem to be cheaper than redesigning a roof to fit around them, but I don't know all the details behind the scenes (holes/spaces in the new retractable roof that go around them?) , so maybe not. Just seems like the easier solution would be to fix the trees, not the roof.

Those trees are beautiful and I'm sure they want to just work around them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Eh, it can be done, but I don't know what kind those are, so depending on the species, yeah, maybe. Also, replacing them with smaller ones would seem to be cheaper than redesigning a roof to fit around them, but I don't know all the details behind the scenes (holes/spaces in the new retractable roof that go around them?) , so maybe not. Just seems like the easier solution would be to fix the trees, not the roof.
    I agree, and if they have to build the roof higher, won't that effect site lines of the adjacent apartments? Seems like a bad deal for those tenants.

^I would guess that the answer will be around and not over.

25. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Anyone know if they have the roof on the patio fixed?

Have a patio show Thursday night and it it looks to be wet and cold.

Thread Information