Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Assembly

1. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Just announced: Father John Misty. HUGE show. EXACTLY the type of show that we weren't getting only a couple of years ago.
    Didn't he play here in OKC a couple years ago? Either way, huge name... that will be a fun venue to see him. Rainbow Kitten Surprise (dumb name), was announced recently too and they're a fun band as well. Jones has been killing it.

2. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Didn't he play here in OKC a couple years ago? Either way, huge name... that will be a fun venue to see him. Rainbow Kitten Surprise (dumb name), was announced recently too and they're a fun band as well. Jones has been killing it.
    I don't THINK he has been here in a solo capacity in the past decade. Maybe at someplace like Opolis or the Conservatory before 2008, when he joined Fleet Foxes. He blew up pretty immediately as a solo act after leaving FF, and I don't recall a show here (maybe an opening slot) but it's possible I'm misremembering. I know he has played Cain's at least twice in the past 2-3 years though.

3. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I don't THINK he has been here in a solo capacity in the past decade. Maybe at someplace like Opolis or the Conservatory before 2008, when he joined Fleet Foxes. He blew up pretty immediately as a solo act after leaving FF, and I don't recall a show here (maybe an opening slot) but it's possible I'm misremembering. I know he has played Cain's at least twice in the past 2-3 years though.
    I could have sworn he played somewhere like Rose State as Father John in the last 3-4 years, but there's a chance I'm not remembering that right as well.

Default Re: Jones Assembly

I could have sworn he played somewhere like Rose State as Father John in the last 3-4 years, but there's a chance I'm not remembering that right as well.
    He played at Cain's about a year ago. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

I have to agree with the sentiment expressed earlier that this show is a real sign that OKC is climbing on the list of cities who can draw new and big acts. This type of show would have skipped us (and did) in the past.

5. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    He played at Cain's about a year ago. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

I have to agree with the sentiment expressed earlier that this show is a real sign that OKC is climbing on the list of cities who can draw new and big acts. This type of show would have skipped us (and did) in the past.
    I knew he has played Cain's a couple times, but for some reason I'm remembering an OKC show too. Oh well.... looking forward to this show!

I was curious too, so i checked setlist.fm and it only shows 2 Father John Misty shows in Oklahoma - both at Cain's ('15 and '17). Not that that's a complete concert encyclopedia, but it's usually a pretty good reference point for concert dates and locations, especially within the last 5 years or so.

7. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    I was curious too, so i checked setlist.fm and it only shows 2 Father John Misty shows in Oklahoma - both at Cain's ('15 and '17). Not that that's a complete concert encyclopedia, but it's usually a pretty good reference point for concert dates and locations, especially within the last 5 years or so.
    I figured it out, definitely not in OKC.. will be nice to have him here for the first time, he puts on a great show.

And for those interested, there's a presale starting Tuesday.
    http://www.fatherjohnmisty.com/#tour

9. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    And for those interested, there's a presale starting Tuesday.
    http://www.fatherjohnmisty.com/#tour
    We should get a handful of good shows around that time with bands making a nearby stops before they play at ACL.

Yes, Arctic Monkeys are playing the Criterion between ACL weekends and it sold out in 2 days.

Rainbow Kitten Surprise is a great get, very excited for the upcoming Oh Wonder show and the Lake Street Dive show as well. This place is absolutely crushing it.

I saw Lake Street Dive last year at the Jones and they were fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I saw Lake Street Dive last year at the Jones and they were fantastic.
    Awesome to hear. This will be my first time seeing them and their new album is one of my favorites of 2018 so far. Something to look forward to for sure.

Toad the Wet Sprocket coming August 5th!

https://www.facebook.com/events/189090758398954/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Toad the Wet Sprocket coming August 5th!

https://www.facebook.com/events/189090758398954/
    Wow, I saw them... I can't remember when... sometime in the 90's. Not sure if it was them I saw at the Katt Bricktown Ampatheater or Ian Moore or the Toadies. It may have been another venue. No idea they were touring again. I guess it's true. Old bands never die, they just do reunion tours.

Did they ever build that retractable roof? I haven't been there in a minute.

17. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Aaron Lee Tasjan announced for August 7th.

Saw him open for John Moreland at the Tower in December and he played a blistering opening set.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Did they ever build that retractable roof? I haven't been there in a minute.
    Installation should be starting soon. It's been in fabrication.

Also Dawes on 11/06 is a solid get!

Probably both great performers, but man, so many shows here in OKC are "folk-rock" or just folk or "red-dirt". Wish we could get more pop, electronic, full-band, or rock acts (and not the umpteenth iteration of some old 60s/70s band with one or no original members). And before the criticism starts, yeah, I know we get some, but seems to me to be skewed towards the folksy/country side of things.

After seeing Chris Whitley multiple times before he died, I just about can't watch any guy-with-a-guitar without getting bored pretty quickly. Of course, this is all just my opinion, as these shows sell out anyway, so my opinion is in the minority here, I suppose.

^

I agree.

But, Book of Love is coming to the Tower on July 27th. I'll be there.

As far as rock is concerned, Kurt Vile is coming in December!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    As far as rock is concerned, Kurt Vile is coming in December!
    though it is a biiiiit folkey.

24. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Probably both great performers, but man, so many shows here in OKC are "folk-rock" or just folk or "red-dirt".
    I feel the same way but it's the ones you mention here that I'm still having to go outside OKC to find. And the Aaron Lee Tasjan show is probably not going to be a huge draw (patio show).... I mostly listen to Americana these days but it's rare that the ones I enjoy come to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Probably both great performers, but man, so many shows here in OKC are "folk-rock" or just folk or "red-dirt". Wish we could get more pop, electronic, full-band, or rock acts (and not the umpteenth iteration of some old 60s/70s band with one or no original members). And before the criticism starts, yeah, I know we get some, but seems to me to be skewed towards the folksy/country side of things.

After seeing Chris Whitley multiple times before he died, I just about can't watch any guy-with-a-guitar without getting bored pretty quickly. Of course, this is all just my opinion, as these shows sell out anyway, so my opinion is in the minority here, I suppose.
    I saw Dawes at the UCO Performance Lab a couple of years ago, and I didn't really think of them as folk-rock... more like an updated, sort of poppier, jam band. Like a jam band that fans of jams bands may not like, ha.

That being said, I think there has been a strong resurgence of folky / americana influences in some corners of popular music, at least the corners that involve people playing instruments. If anything, I think seeing more of these shows come through OKC actually represents keeping up with some current music trends more so than some kind of indication that the market is out of touch.

And just for reference, who would be some real "rock" bands that formed in the last decade or so that you would like to see here?

Thread Information