Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Assembly

Default Re: Jones Assembly

Jones Assembly to get retractable roof

Following an amazing run after opening this summer, the Jones Assembly continues to look for ways to serve their large following.

Proprietor Brian Bogert told OKCTalk a new fabric cover will soon be installed over the roof opening on the huge patio and have panels that can be partially retracted to regulate light and the elements in the quasi-outdoor space.

Currently, the Jones patio has large heating and cooling units that serve to keep the space temperate even in extreme conditions. But glaring sun and precipitation can at times render the space unusable.

In addition to large overhead doors connecting to the main room, the patio features a pass-thru from the main interior bar as well as satellite bars that are employed during events. The stage also extends to the outdoor space which allows for completely separate performances.

Bogert says they hope to start work on the cover soon and have it ready in March.

Jones has become wildly popular often booking well in advance for dinner, lunch and brunch and it continues to book very popular music events, including recently hosting Willie Nelson the day after Thanksgiving.

The bar scene which often spills over onto the patio remains one of the hottest in town.

The first of the 345 apartments of West Village – the mixed use project surrounding the Jones and 21c Museum Hotel – will open later this year. A large parking garage along Sheridan opened last November.

Whattttttttt a freaking retractable roof. That is awesome. Be jelly kc and dallas

3. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Didn't they discuss this when they were doing the build-out, but nixed it due to cost? This will be a great improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Whattttttttt a freaking retractable roof. That is awesome. Be jelly kc and dallas
    That phrase still makes me LOL.

This should help a lot during the winter because standing outside was relatively unbearable on cold days even with their monster heaters, which were only really effective if you stood right underneath them. It was kind of a funny sight seeing groups of people huddled under the heaters and then giving up and crowding inside.

Oh Wonder announced for 4/26. Pretty cool, as they aren't playing a ton of shows in the area. A couple in Texas, a couple in Missouri. Don't even have a Dallas stop on this tour currently.

Quote Originally Posted by GoThunder View Post
    Oh Wonder announced for 4/26. Pretty cool, as they aren't playing a ton of shows in the area. A couple in Texas, a couple in Missouri. Don't even have a Dallas stop on this tour currently.
    Great Get! and on my Birthday no less, but I will be in NYC

Tried the pizza at the Jones last night and it was just fantastic. Ordered the sausage & fennel version and it had great flavor with even a bit of spice. It's getting harder and harder to choose there because everything I've had has been so good.

I also learned some things that I thought I would share for those who didn't already know.

First, you are welcome to bring your dog to the patio (which I did) as long as you enter through the west patio door. The door is down a narrow little alley along the west side of the building that is bordered by the construction fence for the apartments directly west. I asked the guy at the valet stand which is nearby, and he directed me.

Second, they now reserve most the outdoor tables in the center of the patio, at least on weekend nights. Everything had 'reserved' signs on them apart from the areas along the western edge which were open seating.

Third, if you want food but don't have a reservation, you can go to the hostess stand and they'll promptly seat you at one of the reserved outdoor tables.

Fourth, even with decent weather and the heaters on full blast it was quite chilly outside. The new retractable roof is really going to make a difference out there.

That pizza sounds amazing. I kick myself for never making it there. I work across the street but the timing never works out. If my wife's work schedule ever lets up I've got to make an effort.

10. Default Re: Jones Assembly

I’ve tried that same pizza and agree it’s a tasty pie.

11. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Spoon announced for 5/17 and LANY for 5/29.

12. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Spoon especially is an excellent get for the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Spoon announced for 5/17 and LANY for 5/29.
    Cool on Spoon.

Its interesting there was some talk on here about people who hadnt heard of David Byrne and now I have to admit that several of Jones bookings have been groups I have never heard of, LANY, Judah and the Lion, St Paul, JJ Grey...I literally had never heard of these acts until they were booked at Jones. Its making me wonder why and how thats happening. On what type of stations do these acts get played?

14. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    On what type of stations do these acts get played?
    They probably don't... At least not locally.... I would say at least 90% of the bands I currently listen to, and attend concerts for, have never received any air play on an OKC radio station.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    They probably don't... At least not locally.... I would say at least 90% of the bands I currently listen to, and attend concerts for, have never received any air play on an OKC radio station.
    The Spy plays a lot of indie / alternative music.

And The Edge at 92.9 plays tons of good alternative.

16. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Spy plays a lot of indie / alternative music.

And The Edge at 92.9 plays tons of good alternative.
    Anyone playing any Americana/Roots/Red Dirt music locally?

John Moreland is poised to be the next Chris Stapleton. Is he getting any local air play?

What about SiriusXM stations. I dont really listen to FM

Anyone playing any Americana/Roots/Red Dirt music locally?

John Moreland is poised to be the next Chris Stapleton. Is he getting any local air play?
    The Spy does all types of specialty shows, including Jack Fowler's "Tumbleweeds All the Way Down" where they play an eclectic mix:

http://kosu.org/programs/tumbleweeds-all-way-down

"Tumbleweeds All the Way Down is your weekly source for American roots music - country, blues, and folk. If it sounds like blood, sweat, heartbreak or alcohol, you will hear it here."

The Spy does all types of specialty shows, including Jack Fowler's "Tumbleweeds All the Way Down" where they play an eclectic mix:

"Tumbleweeds All the Way Down is your weekly source for American roots music - country, blues, and folk. If it sounds like blood, sweat, heartbreak or alcohol, you will hear it here."
    Folk Salad, Sunday evenings on NPR, also plays a good local and national mix of folk, Americana, blues, etc.

EDIT: I believe its actually aired Sunday evenings on KWGS (Tulsa) and Saturday evenings on KOSU (OKC/Stillwater).

20. Default Re: Jones Assembly

They also do a Red Dirt Radio Hour but these offer very limited access.... Just looking at The Spy's playlist and I don't see one band I currently listen too.

Personally I've found the best way to find new music is on Pandora by entering an artist or genre..... My other source is opening acts for bands I already listen to.... Nikki Lane and The Dirty River Boys I both heard the first time opening for the Old 97's and Aaron Lee Tasjan played a blistering opening set for John Moreland at The Tower in December.

^

I agree about Pandora and similar services, was just trying to address the local radio issue.

I've grown to really enjoy listening to the Spy shows because they introduce me to bands and genres I wouldn't normally seek out.

22. Default Re: Jones Assembly

I've grown to really enjoy listening to the Spy shows because they introduce me to bands and genres I wouldn't normally seek out.
    I gave up on radio a long time ago. Actually kind of triggered when The Spy went off the air briefly..... Anyone remember April Swinney the Sassy Little Spy Girl from the 90's?

I'll occasionally turn on The KATT and they are still playing the same songs I listened to there 15 years ago.

23. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Spotify is how I find 99% of the new music that I listen to. Their algorithm on their "discover" tab is spot on and allows me to find new bands all the time. In regards to local radio I stopped listening a long time ago, due to ads if not anything else.

24. Default Re: Jones Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    What about SiriusXM stations. I dont really listen to FM
    The bands mentioned above plus bands we often miss for various reasons including lack of local exposure heretofore would be on stations like XMU, The Loft, 1st Wave, The Verge, Routes Radio

I've heard of only 1/4 of the bands they have booked. That tells me that I have been living in an algorithm bubble of music for some time now.

Thread Information