Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterford Marriott

Large Chain Waterford Marriott

Rumor has it that the Waterford Marriott will be changing flags to a Renaissance. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Default Re: Waterford Marriott

Upgraded reservations: Waterford prepares for new name, new look
    By: Molly M. Fleming

OKLAHOMA CITY - Construction will begin this week on the re-branding of a prominent Oklahoma City hotel.

The Waterford Marriott, 6300 Waterford Blvd., will become the Waterford Renaissance, with the $7 million renovation work beginning Thursday and expected to wrap up by October, said Kerry Parker, spokeswoman for the Waterford Renaissance. A commercial building permit was filed July 2 by Greg Ward with Norman-based The McKinney Partnership Architects.

Rhode Island-based The Procaccianti Group purchased the property with two other hotels in 2003. At that time, TPG Chief Financial Officer Gregory D. Vickowski said the company believed it was an opportune time to buy because the country was at the bottom of the economic cycle.

The 197-room hotel was built in 1984 and is surrounded by a neighborhood in the city's northern corridor. The entire facility will be redone, including changing the bar and restaurant, Parker said. The eatery will be opened up to lead guests to the outdoor space near the pool. The restaurant will feature a chef-driven modern/American bar-type menu, capitalizing on local and seasonal ingredients.

Parker said the Renaissance's re-branding and renovation plan is to make the hotel into a destination for local residents and visitors.

"In an effort to distinguish itself from other Marriotts, there's an initiative that each hotel brings local experiences to guests, from live music to vendors from popular restaurants," she said. "It just depends on what's native, local and indigenous to the area."

Guest rooms will be renovated three floors at a time, with Maryland-based designer David Ashton creating an Oklahoma-driven look. The hotel offers nine floors, 8,000 square feet of total meeting space, 10 breakout rooms, and a seating capacity for 400 people in its largest area. The library will be renovated into a boardroom, Parker said. Financial details about the cost of the renovations were not available at press time.

Once the transformation is complete, people can expect to visit the hotel for weekly and monthly events that will be open to the public.

"Renovating this property is really giving people their hotel back," Parker said. "People do remember the Waterford fondly. It's an interesting market. It's definitely about time to reinvigorate the property."
    HotelBrokerOne Chief Operating Officer Peter Holmes said the switch from Marriott to Renaissance is a lateral move, since it's in the same corporate family. But the change will help bring more meetings to the property.

"A lot of meeting planners seem to really like the Renaissance brand," Holmes said. "At times, it has a little bit better price point. I think (the re-branding) will help ultimately."

The Waterford is a full-service hotel, a property type that is hard to find in the city. Holmes said the property's food offerings, location and overall quality have helped make it successful and will keep it as a top hotel.

"It could be anything in the Marriott chain - from a JW Marriott to a Renaissance - and it would perform roughly the same," he said.

This is great news.

OKC needs more up-scale hotels and this project has been a little dated.

Sounds like the improvements will go a long way towards making the property more competitive at the upper end.

That's good to hear, it's too bad there isn't some sort of easy pedestrian access to Classen Curve or NH Plaza, unless you know you just wanted to jump the fence of the cemetery

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    That's good to hear, it's too bad there isn't some sort of easy pedestrian access to Classen Curve or NH Plaza, unless you know you just wanted to jump the fence of the cemetery
    Those destinations are a mile away. I live in the area and would love sidewalks, but I doubt hotel guests will walk a mile to the Curve or the Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Those destinations are a mile away. I live in the area and would love sidewalks, but I doubt hotel guests will walk a mile to the Curve or the Plaza.
    a mile? weenies

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

HotelBrokerOne Chief Operating Officer Peter Holmes said the switch from Marriott to Renaissance is a lateral move, since it's in the same corporate family. But the change will help bring more meetings to the property.

"A lot of meeting planners seem to really like the Renaissance brand," Holmes said. "At times, it has a little bit better price point. I think (the re-branding) will help ultimately."
    Is moving from Marriott to Renaissance truly a lateral move? I don't know the first thing about Marriott's branding, but Renaissance seems to be a step below Marriott. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by john60 View Post
    Is moving from Marriott to Renaissance truly a lateral move? I don't know the first thing about Marriott's branding, but Renaissance seems to be a step below Marriott. I don't know.
    I agree with this. I believe Renaissance is slightly below a full-fledged Marriott.

I've always considered them to be lateral. Full fledged Marriott's are as low as a Category 3 for rewards members. The lowest you can find Renaissance are Category 4. Waterford is currently Category 4 and the downtown Renaissance is Category 5. OKC Ambassador is Category 6 btw, the Tulsa Ambassador is Category 5.

Blog Entries

Marriott considers it as a "Lifestyles" brand, one step below luxury. Luxury is Ritz, Bulgari and JW Marriott. The Renaissance brand probably is more appropriate given the guests they expect to target through their reservation system. Others in Lifestyles is Edition, AC Hotels, Moxy and Autograph Collections hotels. Marriott and Delta are Signature

https://hotel-development.marriott.c...nds-dashboard/

Marriott operates 18 brands internationally.[36]

Signature brand[edit]
    Marriott Hotels & Resorts
    Delta Hotels

Luxury[edit]
    Ritz-Carlton
    BULGARI Hotels & Resorts
    JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts
    Renaissance Hotels

Lifestyle/collections[edit]
    Autograph Collection Hotels
    AC Hotels by Marriott
    EDITION Hotels
    MOXY Hotels

Destination entertainment[edit]
    Gaylord Hotels
    Marriott Vacation Club (MVC)

Select-service lodging[edit]
    Courtyard by Marriott
    Fairfield Inn by Marriott
    SpringHill Suites by Marriott
    Protea Hotels

Extended-stay lodging[edit]
    Residence Inn by Marriott
    TownePlace Suites by Marriott
    Marriott Executive Apartments

Timeshare[edit]
    Frenchman's Cove, USVI a Marriott Vacation Club resort
    Marriott Grand Residence Club
    The Residences at the Ritz-Carlton
    The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club

Conference centers[edit]
    Marriott Conference Centers

Very interesting about the Marriott levels, thanks for posting that. I know Ritz-Carlton still operates as a separate company. I believe it was St. Anthony that sent key people to the Ritz-Carlton Leadership Center and its customer (patient) service is tops in Oklahoma City now. That place is worth every dime in teaching customer service skills at another level, just as they offer at their hotels. Their willingness to share their "secrets" is even extended to other hoteliers and while clients are kept secret when requested, several rivals have supposedly attended. I know that Rackspace is a high-profile tech company that is known for super high-quality customer service, and sent their top people to RCLC. It's fascinating how some companies "get it" and others are almost deaf to even the most basic customer service.

I"m glad to see Marriott is putting a comprehensive effort into the Waterford. I'm no regular, but I think it's been a bit neglected.

My wife and I stayed there when we were married two decades ago, and we went back for a special 20th anniversary visit. While the experience was by no means *bad*, it wasn't particularly *special* - even after I'd mentioned the purpose of our visit. The front desk was understaffed, bell service was non-existent, and more than a few folks in line with us were getting a bit perturbed; things were just very "harried" and disorganized for a hotel that I certainly think aspires itself to be at a (much) higher level than your average Motel 6 or HI Express.

In contrast, I remember spending one evening at the Renaissance downtown - 10th anniversary as I recall - and the mere mention of that quite "en passant" led to a room upgrade on the corner (with a *fabulous* view of Myriad Gardens), along with a special snack/dessert tray brought up to our room at no extra charge as a "Happy Anniversary" treat. I didn't ask for *anything*, and the fact it was our anniversary was purely an incidental mention to the clerk. I was stunned.

(As an aside, I tried to rebook the Renaissance for our 20th, but it was loooong ahead booked up).

Anyway, all that aside to point out that I think the Waterford needs the upgrade and should become a fine place worthy of its heritage once they're done. Looking forward to it.

Yes, this was once regarded as a special place... I remember having a lavish company Christmas party there in the late 80's.

But it's largely been forgotten and has certainly not done much to keep up with the competition.

$7 million should go pretty far here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NWOKCGuy View Post
    Marriott operates 18 brands internationally.[36]

Signature brand[edit]
    Marriott Hotels & Resorts
    Delta Hotels

Luxury[edit]
    Ritz-Carlton
    BULGARI Hotels & Resorts
    JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts
    Renaissance Hotels

Lifestyle/collections[edit]
    Autograph Collection Hotels
    AC Hotels by Marriott
    EDITION Hotels
    MOXY Hotels

Destination entertainment[edit]
    Gaylord Hotels
    Marriott Vacation Club (MVC)

Select-service lodging[edit]
    Courtyard by Marriott
    Fairfield Inn by Marriott
    SpringHill Suites by Marriott
    Protea Hotels

Extended-stay lodging[edit]
    Residence Inn by Marriott
    TownePlace Suites by Marriott
    Marriott Executive Apartments

Timeshare[edit]
    Frenchman's Cove, USVI a Marriott Vacation Club resort
    Marriott Grand Residence Club
    The Residences at the Ritz-Carlton
    The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club

Conference centers[edit]
    Marriott Conference Centers
    This list you post is from Wikipedia. The one I posted above is from Marriott how it regards its own brands. Marriott does not put Renaissance in its "Luxury" category, rather the "Lifestyle" category. In the industry it is not considered a "Luxury" brand either. But, it is well regarded and definitely one of their upscale brands.

This webpage has a picture of what the rooms will look like after the renovation.

^

Thanks for that.

Here is the 'after' room photo:

This list you post is from Wikipedia. The one I posted above is from Marriott how it regards its own brands. Marriott does not put Renaissance in its "Luxury" category, rather the "Lifestyle" category. In the industry it is not considered a "Luxury" brand either. But, it is well regarded and definitely one of their upscale brands.
    Does Marriott's official designation also have Fairfield Inn's in the same category as Courtyard? That really surprised me in NWOKCguy's list. Maybe Fairfield has changed a lot, but not that many years ago Courtyard was far nicer than a Fairfield.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Does Marriott's official designation also have Fairfield Inn's in the same category as Courtyard? That really surprised me in NWOKCguy's list. Maybe Fairfield has changed a lot, but not that many years ago Courtyard was far nicer than a Fairfield.
    Yes, it is the same....Select Services (euphemism for "limited" services). That said, it is defined more by services than aesthetics. Many of the Courtyards are getting long in the tooth and may not be as nice as you remember.

Yes, it is the same....Select Services (euphemism for "limited" services). That said, it is defined more by services than aesthetics. Many of the Courtyards are getting long in the tooth and may not be as nice as you remember.
    You are probably right, it's been awhile since I've been in a Courtyard. I remember when Marriott unveiled the Fairfield Inn they considered it a "budget alternative." I tried it out once someplace in Missouri and all I can remember was thin walls. But it's been a long time ago as well.

The new room décor looks very nice but I'm not sure I understand how that is an "Oklahoma-driven look".

22. Default Re: Waterford Marriott

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    The new room décor looks very nice but I'm not sure I understand how that is an "Oklahoma-driven look".
    I see a tornado on the wall
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

23. Default Re: Waterford Marriott

I wonder if thisw could open the door for a new regular Marriott in the area of if this could encourage the old NW Marriott to do the needed upgrades to get the brand back?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I wonder if thisw could open the door for a new regular Marriott in the area of if this could encourage the old NW Marriott to do the needed upgrades to get the brand back?
    That hotel won't do a further upgrade until a new brand is decided on. The type of upgrade required depends on which brand it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I see a tornado on the wall
    I thought that was a sandstorm.

Thread Information