Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10th Street RFP

Default Re: 10th Street RFP

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    Is this a matter of taste or a legitimate long term concern?
    It seems like a matter of taste from my perspective. Personally I really like it and think it will fit in well with the neighborhood.

Reminds me of "uglier" version of The Hill. I would like it if the brick was removed and replaced with like a sandstone or a "middle eastern" look. Would give the area some different culture

At first glance, the townhomes look like pueblos of the Southwest, which I like. I'm not sure how I feel about the brick though.

I get the feeling it's something that will look better in person than on a screen. As with several other developments that have been proposed, the quality of the brick will make a difference.

As usual, the vultures are out early for the immediate kill.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    As usual, the vultures are out early for the immediate kill.
    I agree. I don't understand why there is so much negativity regarding this project. I think it could look really sharp in person.

I love it! I think it will look great.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. I don't understand why there is so much negativity regarding this project.
    Because this is OKCTALK and that is what we do. LOL

Is it perfect urbanism? Probably not, but it could be a real game changer for this area.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Because this is OKCTALK and that is what we do. LOL
    retiny

One of those renderings is reminiscent of the Manitou Cliff Dwellings. Not sure if that's what the designers were going for. Sorry if it seems like I'm going for "the early kill," but these are rather ugly and uninspiring.

Oddly, there's usually a euphoric early reaction to new housing developments here, followed by a more sober, inquisitive view, then ultimately one of outrage once the designs are downscaled for budget. It's actually rare that the reactions start out negatively on housing projects -- unless they kind of suck.

I like it. I see nothing wrong here. Doesn't mean I'm packing my bags for my new future home.

This project will be successful if it can provide economical townhomes (below 200K) and tax abatements. Not sure if the city is going to step up for that, but that is the for-sale niche that this project can successfully target.

Hard to get a decent new townhome for 200K in OKC. You can do this in most Midwestern cities (Chicago, Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland, Buffalo, St. Louis, Louisville, Detroit, and Pittsburgh all provide nearly citywide tax abatement).

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I like it. I see nothing wrong here. Doesn't mean I'm packing my bags for my new future home.

This project will be successful if it can provide economical townhomes (below 200K) and tax abatements. Not sure if the city is going to step up for that, but that is the for-sale niche that this project can successfully target.

Hard to get a decent new townhome for 200K in OKC. You can do this in most Midwestern cities (Chicago, Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland, Buffalo, St. Louis, Louisville, Detroit, and Pittsburgh all provide nearly citywide tax abatement).
    Since when did you turn into Mr. Positive, or, rather, what's her name?

nm

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I agree, but to be fair when those cities were built, they were built with street after street of rowhouses. I am not sure OKC ever had them, even prior to urban renewal because that isn't how this city was built. I could be wrong though.

Anyways, I am glad to see more townhomes being built.

The facade was redesigned and the number of units slightly decreased. A SPUD application has been filed and should be going before the planning commission in a few months.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12970974_1037187773040192_8236690766298715356_o.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	415.1 KB 
ID:	12512

Just noticed on the south side of 10th and about McKinley,it looks to be one of those modern style houses being constructed. apparently they've run out of cheap land in SoSa

Oh! And this one... any updates on this?

Dirt being moved on Douglas and 10th. Any other news on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The City has issued an RFP for the 3 acres of vacant land along 10th west of Classen that was left over after they cleared out dozens of houses for a street widening project. This is at the very southern edge of the Classen Ten Penn neighborhood.

The RFP responses are due back June 30th and they will be designating the conditional developer(s) in September.

They hope for housing buy will accept mixed use; they also designate structures should be at least 2 stories

Greetings,

Drove by this area a few days ago and saw tract 1 through 3 being cleared. Does anyone have an update from the developer?

Thanks!

Kevin

An update here would be nice.

Based on City Council records, Venice Properties (Dodson) purchased the property on July 31st, 2017 for $56,000 or $0.43/sf. The Purchase and Redevelopment Agreement indicated as follows:

Phase 1: Tracts A & B to begin construction 6 months from closing, (7/31/2017) so right about now. Phase 1 is to be completed 18 months from the closing of construction financing, and cannot be extended to longer than 24 months. The County Clerk shows no records of a mortgage on either of those tracts yet.

Phase 2: Tracts C & D to begin 6 months after completion of Phase 1, so before 7/31/2020. Phase 2 is to be completed 18 months from the closing of construction financing, and cannot be extended to longer than 24 months as well. As far as the timeline is concerned, we are looking at a total completion around August of 2022.

A minimum of 10% of the units are required to be "lower income".

No building permit has been filed that I can find; however, a permit was filed for the dirt work on 1/10/2018 (SWL-2018-00026 & 00027).

Work starts on mixed-use project on NW 10th near Western

When the City of Oklahoma City widened NW 10th between Western and Penn, it bought a wide swath of homes along the north side of the street and then was left with remaining land that was odd and relatively shallow.

[PRBREAK][/PRBREAK]

The city issued an RFP in 2015 with development restrictions and certain design constraints.

One acceptable bid was received from Dodson Custom Homes (doing business as Venice Properties) proposing a mixed-use project consisting of apartments, condominiums and first-level retail space. Dodson builds in new home communities in Edmond, Yukon, Oakdale and far north Oklahoma City. The company has also renovated older homes on the near northwest and northeast areas.

In June of 2017 the city sold the 3 acres on four separate parcels to Dodson for $56,000 and the two parties entered into a redevelopment agreement.

The agreement stipulates the property will be developed in two phases. The first, which has just commenced, must be completed by the end of 2018 and involves Tracts A&B, the easternmost parcels of the 4.

Tract A will include 12 apartments above 6 retail spaces. Tract B will be 9 for-sale townhomes.

The second phase will included another 9 townhouses on Tract C and while plans for Tract D – the largest – are still preliminary, the current plan calls for 24 apartments over 21 retail spaces.

The entire development will be two levels. Originally Dodson had proposed 3 stories with elevators but later scaled back.

As part of the redevelopment agreement, Dodson has agreed to reserve at least 10% of the total residential units – rented or sold – for the income eligible. The threshold being households that earn no more than 80% of the Area Median Income based on household size.

Dirt work has commenced on Tracts A and B. Pricing will be set at a later date.

This development is at the southern edge of the Classen 10 Penn neighborhood which is seeing a resurgence with many renovated homes due it's excellent location and popularity of the adjacent Plaza District on NW 16th.

Do you know if closing Brauer and creating the pocket park is part of Phase 1 or Phase 2? I'm glad to hear that they're keeping the small retail spaces. They had proposed leasing the entire ground floor to one tenant which would have completely changed the uses and impact of the development.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Talker View Post
    Do you know if closing Brauer and creating the pocket park is part of Phase 1 or Phase 2? I'm glad to hear that they're keeping the small retail spaces. They had proposed leasing the entire ground floor to one tenant which would have completely changed the uses and impact of the development.
    I believe the Bauer project would be part of Phase II.

Talked with them today. They are still adjusting the plans, but are aiming for low $200's per foot for the townhomes.

Thread Information