Widgets Magazine

Thread: 104th and South May

Default 104th and South May

Does anybody know what happening on the SE corner of SW 104 and May just behind gas station ?

Default Re: 104th and South May

If it's this area shaded in red that you are referring to, I believe it is an apartment complex.

As much as they are disliked, we need some more apartments to come online in this area. People complain about the lack of retail and restaurants on the south west side, the money might be there, but the density isn't. Apartments add to that density and can make it more attractive. Memorial road is a good example (well not a good example for urban development). Lots of apartments nearby to the south bringing in the density, and a lot of wealth on the north bringing up the average income of the area.

I didn't realize that there was such a large empty land mass on the south side of Crest. I wonder if it is all owned by same person?

Will be Cross Timber Apartments:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I didn't realize that there was such a large empty land mass on the south side of Crest. I wonder if it is all owned by same person?
    Here is the map of the Cleveland County Assessor.

All the land to the south of Crest is owned by RFA LAND LLC, which also owns the NW and NE corner of the intersection of 104th and S May. Crest owns the outparcels directly east of their parking lot. And 104th and May Apartments LLC owns the land the OP is talking about.

I'm doing some research on RFA LAND, LLC. Seems they share the same address at 1033 NW Grand (on the Chesapeake campus) as several real estate development/land holding companies. Seems they are involved with Memorial road and quail springs area. So RFA LAND is of course just a land holding account, but there is a significant owner of those 3 large parcels.

RFA Land is Tom Blanton's company.

SMH - don't need apartments in the area

Just a pet peave, but I wish more apartments in OKC had attached garages.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Just a pet peave, but I wish more apartments in OKC had attached garages.
    I agree. Given the prevalence of destructive hailstorms in central Oklahoma I am surprised more apartments don't offer garages or covered parking of some sort.

Oklahoma has such an abundance of cheap single resident housing that if I was really worried about hail, I'd rent a house.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. Given the prevalence of destructive hailstorms in central Oklahoma I am surprised more apartments don't offer garages or covered parking of some sort.
    No expert here, but I'd be willing to make a guess they don't have a high enough rate of return. That is, if I reserve so many square feet for garage space, that's not going to generate the same revenue as living space. You can lease out the garage space for an incremental/premium marginal rate for someone who is already renting an apartment, but not the same rate if that same space were an apartment with another full-rate tenant.

I knew back in the day I thought about getting an apartment I sure looked for covered garages. Not many then, either - one of the reasons (among many others) I ended up building a house. Best decision investment wise I've ever made without question.

I see quite a few around town with at least canopy parking, that I am sure costs an additional fee.

On the southside of town I can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head that have canopies.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I see quite a few around town with at least canopy parking, that I am sure costs an additional fee.

On the southside of town I can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head that have canopies.
    At Pheasant Run every apartment has one covered parking spot.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    No expert here, but I'd be willing to make a guess they don't have a high enough rate of return. That is, if I reserve so many square feet for garage space, that's not going to generate the same revenue as living space. You can lease out the garage space for an incremental/premium marginal rate for someone who is already renting an apartment, but not the same rate if that same space were an apartment with another full-rate tenant.

I knew back in the day I thought about getting an apartment I sure looked for covered garages. Not many then, either - one of the reasons (among many others) I ended up building a house. Best decision investment wise I've ever made without question.
    Now that I've reread my post, I guess I should have stated I wish more apartments in South OKC/Moore/Norman had garages. There are plenty of complexes downtown and on the northside that have such amenities. Montclair Parc is down the road from this development and has attached garages as well as carports and from what I understand stays full. More importantly, it rents for a premium above what other complexes go for, so it is less likely to devolve into a slum 20 years from now, as elitist as that sounds.

Ill just say for myself, I currently rent a townhouse style apartment in Addison TX with a two car attached garage. I would argue that I'm paying about $200/month more for a comparative unit without any sort of garage. Mind you this is for around 150-200 sq ft of unfinished space, no duct work, flooring, just a little electrical wiring. And considering they would be getting nothing for giving me 2 open air parking spaces, I'd say $200 extra a month is a pretty good deal for whatever management company owns this place.

Huge new apartment complex coming to the NE corner of this intersection surrounding the two small lakes.

Building permits filed today...

This is by Continental Properties out of Wisconsin. They are also doing a big project on the SW corner of Memorial & MacArthur.

It seems all their apartment communities offer some private garages:

I feel like there was another thread that originally started talking about this.

and here it is...

104th and S. May - OKCTalk

Pete can you find a site plan or layout?

I hate to see those two lakes (ponds) filled in with dirt.

Working on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Working on it!
    Figured you were, just thought I'd ask!

Drove through the Crest parking lot at 104/May and noticed they have installed two EV charging stations. Did not see Tesla brand on it so assuming it is a generic set up

I read a story in Oklahoman 2-3 weeks ago describing the local company doing the charging stations around the state. Stations are on section line intersections in shopping center lots. Although most are okay, I think the location at NW 23rd & Pennsylvania (located 10 feet from the worst bus stop in OKC) is a bad idea.

Thread Information