Widgets Magazine

Thread: Pepe's Restaurant

Default Pepe's Restaurant

Pepe was like an uncle to me. I found out just now he passed Sunday. This year sucks so far.

Julian "Pepe" Gonzalez Obituary - Baggerley Funeral Home | Edmond OK

Default Re: Pepe's Restaurant

What a life!
    If I read his obit correctly he ran the El Chico at Shepard Mall, as well as Laredo's on NW 63, both of whom had excellent food.
    I remember seeing him in Laredo's and at the time not sure who he was.
    RiP.

Reviving this old thread because the latest building application permits released for March listed a permit issued for a new building at 1701 S Broadway, which would be the old Pepe's. The cost listed is $1,735,000, so I'm curious indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Pepe was like an uncle to me. I found out just now he passed Sunday. This year sucks so far.

Julian "Pepe" Gonzalez Obituary - Baggerley Funeral Home | Edmond OK
    Same. My family had been dining there since the 80s. Even in the years preceding his death, we'd go, he'd still recognize me and he'd sit down at our table and catch up. He really understood the importance of personal relationships with his customers.

There's a chance then that either I or my sister waited on you or your family in the early 90s at some point.

Still miss this place. Ive tried the restaurant on Classen owned by his son but it's not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Reviving this old thread because the latest building application permits released for March listed a permit issued for a new building at 1701 S Broadway, which would be the old Pepe's. The cost listed is $1,735,000, so I'm curious indeed.
    Hopefully not just another mini strip mall. It's a large lot and goes back all the way to the railroad easement I believe so there's possibility of something more interesting there.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Hopefully not just another mini strip mall. It's a large lot and goes back all the way to the railroad easement I believe so there's possibility of something more interesting there.
    It’s going to be a AAA Car Care Center.

Link

^^^^
    Damn Jumper, how did you find that? I looked high and low trying to find out what's going there. Also, you don't realize how much land is behind the old Pepe's building until you see that map.

Yeah, there's an old tortilla factory back there. He had an impressive operation back in the day.

Demo has begun on this. Didn't have a chance to take a picture.

Building is gone, demo complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Demo has begun on this. Didn't have a chance to take a picture.
    There was a few pics posted on a facebook group I'm a part of. If folks are interested I can download them and share them here. For me it's just depressing.

In 1989 and for a few more years, when I worked just down the street, I used to eat lunch there 2 times a week, sometimes 3 times a week.

Food was great, but the best part was that he would greet us and come back to make sure everything was ok.

A good man, he is missed.

Thread Information