Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: AC Hotel

Blog Entries

Default Re: AC Hotel

Very nice, not groundbreaking, but looks clean and will age well. I think this is a good compromise from the original and updated revisions. Build it!

This looks really nice! I like it! I really hope they go ahead with this design.

I like how the bar is right at the corner with outside seating.

Bars in AC Hotels are cool and lively, so this will add much to that intersection and hopefully energy to the street as well.

I bet this will be viewed as a fair compromise.

4. Default Re: AC Hotel

Just to be clear to those who questioned what he said after he commented, nobody who posts here knows more about Bricktown design ordinance than cafeboeuf.

I think the changes are very good. Having been to two of the BUDC meetings where preliminary designs on this building were presented, I would guess that this re-work will get very favorable response.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Just to be clear to those who questioned what he said after he commented, nobody who posts here knows more about Bricktown design ordinance than cafeboeuf.
    Right and had I seen his post before I made mine I would have merely quoted him and said the same thing and saved myself some time and effort.

Blog Entries

Wasn't meant as a negative or anything against cafeboeuf, just thought I had fuzzy memories about Sheridan hotels getting rejected for "not enough brick" so presumed there was some guidance on what was "enough".

7. Default Re: AC Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Wasn't meant as a negative or anything against cafeboeuf, just thought I had fuzzy memories about Sheridan hotels getting rejected for "not enough brick" so presumed there was some guidance on what was "enough".
    Yeah, and I didn't mean for that to sound nasty at all - sorry if it did - just letting anyone who doesn't know that his word is as trustworthy as it gets on that topic. He's forgotten more about it than I will ever know, and I'm closer to it than most.

I think the "not enough brick" comments came during a time when some since-departed committee members really didn't understand what they were there to do and spent too much time just trying to impose "nice" on the neighborhood without understanding that "nice" is completely subjective. They were imposing personal taste and a misguided understanding of their role, IMO. They were often pushing for buildings to mimic rather than do what is described in the ordinance language Pete posted, which is to "...enhance or complement this [brick] characteristic." I think it is also important that the language says "innovative design and creative use of building materials such as glass, concrete, and architectural metals are encouraged..." This design fits those expectations very well from a materials standpoint. Even in a true HP district (which Bricktown is NOT), new construction is usually supposed to complement rather than mimic. That is, it should have similar scale, window openings, unifying materials, etc., but should not attempt to be indistinguishable from the historic.

Blog Entries

Makes sense and I agree

It's nice to see the massing extended to the corner. It wasn't bad before, but this is certainly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

I think the changes are very good. Having been to two of the BUDC meetings where preliminary designs on this building were presented, I would guess that this re-work will get very favorable response.
    Aww, gee, thanks.

I should have added more to my comment... the BUDC committee members have always been extremely brick-supportive, but the ordinance hasn't ever (or for at least the last 7 years) had a minimum percent required. The ordinance is very suggestive, and when it was split into west and east Bricktown, the west portion (west of Joe Carter), was much more focused on brick, and east Bricktown was encouraged to play with other architectural materials. The east side ordinance was crafted to reflect the Stewart metal buildings and other non-brick structures on the east side of Bricktown. When the zoning code merged the two into one district, some of the language from the east portion was folded in to allow for, and encourage, different materials on the east end in order to avoid the Disney-fication, so-to-speak, of Bricktown. The code was originally written to preserve the existing brick character and reinforce a brick warehouse/industrial feel elsewhere.

I like the use of architectural metals and glass on the east side, so conceptually I think the AC proposal works well. I'm not sold on the corner treatment and the physical layout though, personally. Something about the vertical and horizontal breaks feels off to me...

Blog Entries

Thanks that's informative. I didn't realize there was an enforcement different between east and west.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I'm not sold on the corner treatment and the physical layout though, personally. Something about the vertical and horizontal breaks feels off to me...
    Though the same things.

Kind of ironic the east code was written to encourage compatibility with buildings that no longer exists - and it comes to light on the very lots where they stood. Reminds me of the new police station being designed to match the old police station that itself is being torn down for parking for the new police station.

14. Default Re: AC Hotel

Looks nice IMO. Build it, today!

Perhaps this will 'force' the HGI to raise its' bar as well?

One quesiton though, why are the loading docks so near the street? I suppose it has to be there due to the locn of the kitchen, but seems odd that there isn't a better way to conceal the backhouse in the true backhouse of the building.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

They've started work on both the AC and Hyatt Place:

Wow, this is all moved so fast I love it, 5 projects all in the last 3, 4 months

By next Spring this area will look completely different. Do they have any idea on the timeline for completion?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Groundbreaking Flyer HP AC Bricktown.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	12710

Groundbreaking officially is next Wednesday, June 22nd, 10 AM on the construction site- see flyer above for details.

http://lodgingmagazine.com/newcresti...oklahoma-city/

The modular style build of the AC Hotel will be very neat to watch over 4 days.

Groundbreaking officially is next Wednesday, June 22nd, 10 AM on the construction site- see flyer above for details.

http://lodgingmagazine.com/newcresti...oklahoma-city/

The modular style build of the AC Hotel will be very neat to watch over 4 days.

the number of pending openings of Element Hotels in the region has me amazed there's not one announced for OKC, with all these other boutiques (Wichita! Omaha! Bentonville! 6 new locations in Texas!)

here's the list

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/elemen...language=en_US

<wasn't sure where to put this, maybe one in Midtown would work>

Lol, bits, that's a top notch username. Deserves a compliment.
    "I' not gonna lie, that smells like pure gasoline."

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Lol, bits, that's a top notch username. Deserves a compliment.
    "I' not gonna lie, that smells like pure gasoline."
    I hear that 60% of the time, it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I hear that 60% of the time, it works every time.
    Had a good chuckle there.

Thread Information