Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Hemi's Pizza

Default Re: Old Hemi's Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Settle down. This is staff's writing, not the Committee's. And, staff is different now than when those other projects were approved.
    Staff, committee, whomever.

There is a quote from somebody that works for/with the city that looked at this project and second guessed it. It's not the end of the world. It is, however, ridiculous. I'm not concerned about the building being approved. I'm concerned that we struggle to identify quality development and proceed without question, and simultaneously struggle to identify questionable development and effect substantial, quality change.

This developer doesn't deserve to read an article and see anything other than "This is fantastic and exactly what our city needs" because it's fantastic and exactly what our city needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Staff, committee, whomever.

There is a quote from somebody that works for/with the city that looked at this project and second guessed it. It's not the end of the world. It is, however, ridiculous. I'm not concerned about the building being approved. I'm concerned that we struggle to identify quality development and proceed without question, and simultaneously struggle to identify questionable development and effect substantial, quality change.

This developer doesn't deserve to read an article and see anything other than "This is fantastic and exactly what our city needs" because it's fantastic and exactly what our city needs.
    I think you misunderstand the nature of how the Committees work...

Staff is required to review all aspects, and they distinctly point out that the materials don't match surrounding, but, in context, none of the surrounding is homogeneous. Additionally, we're only talking about materials, not the setback, height, etc., which is much more important in my opinion. And, in the end, there is no "recommend approval with the condition that...". It was simply "Recommend Approval..." You're reading far too deeply into the staff report.

How did I miss this? Great design! Hopefully this will be swiftly approved.

Just got word the Urban Design Commission unanimously approved this project today.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just got word the Urban Design Commission unanimously approved this project today.

That is excellent news. I'm looking forward to seeing this building under construction. This building, if built as depicted, is a tremendous step forward for urban design in OKC and hopefully provides an example to other investors and developers of "another" right way to do urban design.

Does anyone know why the Hemi's sign survived the demolition? Is there a special exception for signage or is it just lazy demolition workers?

You don't have to permit an existing sign. And the design commission ain't giving out any more pole, pylon, and in a lot of cases, monument signs. Kind of like "adult entertainment" zoning. You can buy and rebrand a topless bar but you can't zone a new one.

Looks great! There's also a lot of room for infill in this area, particularly north of The Pump. Hopefully this sets a precedent for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Looks great! There's also a lot of room for infill in this area, particularly north of The Pump. Hopefully this sets a precedent for the area.
    There has been a housing project in the works for those bungalows and lots north of the Pump for years.

Not sure of the hold up but that project in particular would go a very long way towards filling in that immediate area and help to bridge the Paseo / Uptown gap.

There has been a housing project in the works for those bungalows and lots north of the Pump for years.

Not sure of the hold up but that project in particular would go a very long way towards filling in that immediate area and help to bridge the Paseo / Uptown gap.
    That lot was for sale not too long ago. Is that still the case or has it sold? It's a prime lot and hopefully eventually a development will end up on it that bridges and creates synergy between the Paseo and Uptown areas.

I agree there is lots of room for infill in this area and there are also plenty of good bones already there to work with.

I really really really hope these developers get cranking in the core. I think they will be rewarded with an incredible response from the community.

I must not be seeing something correctly. The site plan seems to only show 6 units instead of 8. Are some of the 3 story segments divided into more than one unit?

14. Default Re: Old Hemi's Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I must not be seeing something correctly. The site plan seems to only show 6 units instead of 8. Are some of the 3 story segments divided into more than one unit?
    I was wondering the same thing also.

I'd guess 6 just doing some quick math based on floor plate size and the 2450 number for unit size.

I'm not a big fan of the laundry being on the third floor. If something has the potential of flooding I would rather have it located on the ground floor. Also, the bedroom on the ground floor with a window right next to a public sidewalk is kinda creepy. I would feel like an Amsterdam sex worker.

Laundry on an upper floor should be placed in a contained area with a floor drain (basically a shower pan). Also, if you don't have an electronic controlled washing machine shut off valve that takes the pressure off the braided or rubber supply lines (like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...YSHVPXJCZWVEQJ) you're just waiting for those little hoses to burst.

Blog Entries

The Level has bedrooms right up against the sidewalk I believe. Seems to work okay, no?

Has there been any movement on this project yet - aside from land clearing, of course?

Yes, they just submitted slightly tweaked plans to the UDC, which have been approved.

HangryHippo Guest

Yes, they just submitted slightly tweaked plans to the UDC, which have been approved.
    What did the approved plans tweak?

Haven't noticed any dirt moved yet

Any update on this?

Just traded emails with the developer.

Said they want to sing Letters of Interest for the office / retail space before they get started.

Once they get the LOI's, they would build the whole project at once, including the condos.

That's great. Thanks Pete.

Thread Information