Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

Default Re: OKC Zoo

while I understand it can be disappointing to not see all the animals, I will take that rather than unhealthy and sad habitats where animals are always on display like it or not. the zoo has really is so much healthier than its past when i was a kid. we did go to the Zoo lights and loved that holiday exhibit. I hope they do that annually. I saw many people online complaining about the price when other displays are free but we thought it was worth the money for sure. Was also great to just pull up and not wait in line forever like some free displays.

^^^^ +1. With the way things are going I would not be surprised if at some point talks begin about banning zoos entirely. Given certain conditions the animals have to live in, there is merit to that logic. Even in OKC Zoo there’s still some exhibits that seem to small. I’ll notice monkeys or big cats doing nothing but pacing back and forth. I remember the Fort Worth zoo being horrible in this regard. It was actually depressing.

A lot (if not most) animals are rescues because they can't live in the wild. I'm all for giving them better habitats, but I doubt zoo's go away.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Makes sense with it being still a bit chilly. It was perfect walking weather and felt like hardly anyone there which was nice. Both the Fort Worth Zoo and the OKC Zoo are great for different reasons imo. I like both. Look forward to visiting the OKC zoo after construction is complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    A lot (if not most) animals are rescues because they can't live in the wild. I'm all for giving them better habitats, but I doubt zoo's go away.
    Honestly, some zoos should go away, but a lot do good work, like you said. Also, some zoos do research and breeding and education, so they need to stick around too (I believe the OKC Zoo does some of this work, and they have fairly reasonable habitats, so they're one of the good ones).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Honestly, some zoos should go away, but a lot do good work, like you said. Also, some zoos do research and breeding and education, so they need to stick around too (I believe the OKC Zoo does some of this work, and they have fairly reasonable habitats, so they're one of the good ones).
    I wouldn't mind if the zoo got rid of some of the exhibits to make more room for some of the animals that need more space (I know nothing about animals). I love the elephant exhibit, and that's apparently one of the best in the country for elephants. It would be cool to see the same size zoo maybe with fewer animals and more space for the remaining animals.

I'd also like to visit an elephant sanctuary of some kind, and see them just roaming around free. I also remember the zoo from when I was a kid, and today's zoo is so much better than back then. The ape and elephant exhibits demonstrate what can be done and still have the animals treated well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    while I understand it can be disappointing to not see all the animals, I will take that rather than unhealthy and sad habitats where animals are always on display like it or not. the zoo has really is so much healthier than its past when i was a kid. we did go to the Zoo lights and loved that holiday exhibit. I hope they do that annually. I saw many people online complaining about the price when other displays are free but we thought it was worth the money for sure. Was also great to just pull up and not wait in line forever like some free displays.
    Agree 100%

We loved the entire holiday lights experience, and we didn't do the part at the end where you could get out of your car. It was fun to drive through the zoo, too. We'll definitely do that again if they offer it.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I wouldn't mind if the zoo got rid of some of the exhibits to make more room for some of the animals that need more space (I know nothing about animals). I love the elephant exhibit, and that's apparently one of the best in the country for elephants. It would be cool to see the same size zoo maybe with fewer animals and more space for the remaining animals.

I'd also like to visit an elephant sanctuary of some kind, and see them just roaming around free. I also remember the zoo from when I was a kid, and today's zoo is so much better than back then. The ape and elephant exhibits demonstrate what can be done and still have the animals treated well.
    I think that is some of what's going on. Some exhibits have been removed so neighboring ones can be expanded. I think as animals pass on exhibits get reevaluated.

Awesome. OKC Zoo is one of the best in the nation IMO

You can see the new Africa exhibit under construction here:

It always seems like the area where the giraffes are is kind of way out by itself and out of the way. This should make it a destination, which is awesome. I'm impressed.

13. Default Re: OKC Zoo

very nice.

I wish they would expand the train and bring back the aerial tram - those are great ways to get an overview of this massive zoo particularly if you can't spend the whole day (or two) to see everything. The former aerial tram made a huge impact on me back in the day; having an expansive rail system could take the zoo to the next level IMO.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    very nice.

I wish they would expand the train and bring back the aerial tram - those are great ways to get an overview of this massive zoo particularly if you can't spend the whole day (or two) to see everything. The former aerial tram made a huge impact on me back in the day; having an expansive rail system could take the zoo to the next level IMO.
    It’s a pipe dream, but a return of the aerial tram would be awesome.

Blog Entries

Thank you, unfundedrick

OKC Zoo Sets New Attendance Records For 2021: https://www.visitokc.com/articles/po...ords-for-2021/

not sure it has been posted but the new admin building is well underway (you can see it in Pete's post above) they have started going vertical with the elevator and stair wells

i believe this is the design http://www.chrispritchardarch.com/okc-zoo

In the first photo, you can see the new administration building under construction at the bottom left, just west of the entrance.

The big area under construction is Expedition Africa.

Does anyone know what is going into the old train station? The new fencing looks like something big, maybe ostrich being close to Africa exhibit?

Edit, ok the map says camel rides, but I wouldn't' think they need a big fence for camels. Probably a temporary place for the other animals, as they get to later phases of exhibition Africa.

19. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Love the expansion. The yearly zoo pass we buy is always a good investment

20. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Man! That looks like about1/3 of the zoo being renovated!

21. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I haven't been to many zoos. Our kids are very young, so I assume we will go to more and more as they get older. But we went to the San Antonio Zoo last week. It was a nice zoo in that it was small and compact so very easy to get around. Pretty much saw the whole thing in 1.5 hours. But it clearly was not built for the crowds that go there. That was super unpleasant. Some of the walkways are only 3-4 feet wide. And I'm talking major walkways as the only way to get to some attractions. And some things are oddly unprofessional looking-- like some paved in uneven blacktop with plants coming out into the walkway. And I felt sorry for a lot of the small spaces the animals had. But that's the price for having a compact zoo I guess. Overall, it made me appreciate our zoo.

22. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    I haven't been to many zoos. Our kids are very young, so I assume we will go to more and more as they get older. But we went to the San Antonio Zoo last week. It was a nice zoo in that it was small and compact so very easy to get around. Pretty much saw the whole thing in 1.5 hours. But it clearly was not built for the crowds that go there. That was super unpleasant. Some of the walkways are only 3-4 feet wide. And I'm talking major walkways as the only way to get to some attractions. And some things are oddly unprofessional looking-- like some paved in uneven blacktop with plants coming out into the walkway. And I felt sorry for a lot of the small spaces the animals had. But that's the price for having a compact zoo I guess. Overall, it made me appreciate our zoo.
    I have been too a ton of zoos across the US. I think OKC has something very special. I don't think it will reach the likes of the San Diego Zoo experience but very nice. And as an aside a great little zoo is in St Louis. Right in Forest Park and free to all.

I really wish OKC could get a big-time outdoor amphitheater for big tours the summer. Even Rogers, AR has one. The Zoo Amp is ok for what it is, but it is limited. No covered seating, no Live Nation sponsor. It sucks seeing all the big summer shows go to Arkansas, Dallas, and Kansas City, and missing OKC. Not sure if one has ever been discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I really wish OKC could get a big-time outdoor amphitheater for big tours the summer. Even Rogers, AR has one. The Zoo Amp is ok for what it is, but it is limited. No covered seating, no Live Nation sponsor. It sucks seeing all the big summer shows go to Arkansas, Dallas, and Kansas City, and missing OKC. Not sure if one has ever been discussed.
    This doesn’t disprove your point by any means, but your comment did bring to mind that Glass Animals is coming to the Zoo Amp in early June. I don’t know exactly how big they are in others minds or how much they fit your criteria but I’ve been listening to them for a few years and they seem to be getting a bit more popular with the rise of their song “Heat Waves” so that’s one summer concert at the Zoo Amp that I’m actually looking forward to.

25. Default Re: OKC Zoo

not against it, but just curious if a zoo ampitheatre is a good idea with respect to the animals?

I personally would rather see an ampitheatre near downtown like the new park or along/part of the river. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information