Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

1. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I have heard of some programs doing that but I'm not sure I have never heard of a Zoo reintroducing animals to the wild especially if they were bred in captivity.

Most Captive-Born Predators Die If Released

Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC Zoo

I get that, and am in no way an expert on the matter. I just feel the educational value of zoos alone merit their existence, when done right obviously, which I feel our zoo does a good job at. So you'd rather shut down zoos and let species go extinct? (just clarifying, you're certainly entitled to your position)

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with that. Captivity programs have previously returned species previously extinct in the wild back to the wild. I agree it isn't ideal, but it's better than losing them all together.
    I could see that for animals that are not more likely to die by poachers in what wilds are left, though over time that is becoming more and more only what land countries set aside for protected land. Many of which do not have the money to actually defend animals in the natural preserves.

The OKC Zoo continues it's reputation as an elephant brothel. LOL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...8e4_story.html

5. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I love that story.

Any reason the zoo closes at 5pm? Seems really early, especially on weekends. Very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by icecold View Post
    Any reason the zoo closes at 5pm? Seems really early, especially on weekends. Very annoying.
    Evidently, that is very common. The Dallas Zoo closes at 4:00PM, the Tulsa Zoo closes at 5:00PM, and the San Antonio Zoo closes at 6:00PM. The Audubon Zoo in New Orleans closes at 4:00PM through the week and at 5:00PM on the weekend. I suspect it may have something to do with being able to properly care for the animals.

8. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I bet it does. I'll wager the zoo wants evening cleanup and feeding to be done so the animals can be least-stressed by dark.

Most zoo's close early for evening feeding and maintenance as listed above. I have a love/hate relationship with zoo's as I know some of the work is great work they do but I also hate to see animals stressed and captive. So I like that they do try to give them time away from being on display.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    The OKC Zoo continues it's reputation as an elephant brothel. LOL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...8e4_story.html
    Just reminds me; one year we took a group of students from Deer Creek (Middle School) to the OKC Zoo. The Elephants at the time were in full mating bloom--very slow motion and methodical process like a battering ram breaking through a door (LMAO). The children had questions like you wouldn't believe (utter silence & bashfulness among the adult chaperones); however, you felt that they (giggling children) knew more than they let on to.

In Oklahoma, he will come under the guidance of a 47-year-old bull named Rex in a state-of-the-art facility with six other elephants in total.

The departure comes as the National Zoo has been trying to build its elephant herd, with the addition of four new elephants in the past two years.

But Kandula is too closely related to the zoo’s breeding-age female, Maharani, who is technically his aunt. Zoo officials have said that Kandula was being moved to a zoo with females to whom he is not genetically related.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...b69_story.html

Haunt the Zoo starts tonight and runs all week.

I'm going tonight to volunteer handing out candy... Should be great fun.

Didn't realize this until I read it but it's the biggest fundraiser for the zoo.

Holy heck, what a crowd!

Not having kids -- and also not having lived here for the last 25 years -- I had never been to Haunt the Zoo and had no idea what a big deal it is.

Really fun to see the thousands (literally) of kids and their families. So many great costumes and everyone having a great time on a gorgeous night.

13. Default Re: OKC Zoo

If that's something you enjoyed being around, tomorrow night in Bricktown is the second annual Brick or Treat event, and they're expecting as many as 5K trick or treaters.

Default Re: Okc zoo!

Anyone have photos of Bob Jenny, Reptile Director? He used to come to schools and was on TV alot...this was back in 50s/60s. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by chatterdude View Post
    Anyone have photos of Bob Jenny, Reptile Director? He used to come to schools and was on TV alot...this was back in 50s/60s. Thanks...
    Actually, his name was Bob Jenni.

He was featured in this video from ten years ago.

A very interesting interview about and with Gayla Peevey and her continuing involvement with the OKC Zoo.

NewsOK Videos | Zoo Tales: Gayla Peevey to highlight weekend's holiday festivities

17. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Elephant Chai suffered injuries, weight loss months before her death -- A tad bit different from what local zoo staff were saying publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Elephant Chai suffered injuries, weight loss months before her death -- A tad bit different from what local zoo staff were saying publicly.
    Good for the Seattle Times. Imagine that--a journalist using the Open Records Act to delve a little deeper into things. The OKC media is lazy. Reporters value access more than truth and it's done us all a disservice. The OKC Zoo has a huge budget. If they are treating their animals poorly, the public should be informed.

Our leaders spend lots of time and energy hiding their use of public money from the public with organizations like OKC Alliance and our lazy news media sit back and allow it to happen.

Have there been any updates on the Zoo's upcoming construction plans or updates to the Zoo master plan? I know they're way behind what they laid out a few years ago. They took down the banners announcing the new Africa area and expanded Asia exhibits. And we pretty much skip Aquatics every time we visit the zoo now. I know it was supposed to be renovated in the next few years.

20. Default Re: Okc zoo!

I know they recently finished the Bison enclosure and Hospital. Btw, if you haven't been yet, the hospital is very cool and there is also an area where you can watch the cooks prep and make all of the food.

I have all the detailed plans and will post them later.

I've read that they are also in the very early stages of developing a new Africa exhibit as well in the old elephant area.

Ahh, I assume this must be the Asian exhibit that there's been a big sign for back by the elephants?

Yes, Phase II of the Asia exhibit and it's massive and ambitious.

Thread Information