Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

Default Re: Okc zoo!

What is the status on the new Asia Exhibit? Is it on hold?

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    What is the status on the new Asia Exhibit? Is it on hold?
    It's finished and open.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's finished and open.
    Really? The 'Expedition Asia' exhibit? So the Rhinos have moved and everything?

Really? The 'Expedition Asia' exhibit? So the Rhinos have moved and everything?
    The Expedition Asia is different than the Asia Exhibit (elephants).

The latter is finished, the former doesn't have a definite time frame and I don't think it ever has.

There are several other projects ahead of it in the zoo masterplan:

- Oklahoma City Zoo

It was originally going to be built back to back with the elephant exhibit, but the economic downturn delayed things for awhile. At one point the zoo, was promoting the Exhibition Asia and even had a estimated date of completion, but I guess they took a good hard look at their masterplan and postponed it indefinitely.

Really, the projects they have on their current masterplan are more important and will give the zoo more bang for its buck.

I guess the new African style restaurant that will be part of the new giraffe exhibit will take the place of the zoo canopy restaurant which will be converted into a Herpetarium.

I personally think Aquatics should be the next to be revamped, we go probably twice a year and essentially skip aquatics the majority of the time over the last few years. It's become quite stagnant down there.

The latter is finished, the former doesn't have a definite time frame and I don't think it ever has.

- Oklahoma City Zoo
    Sorry for the confusion.

Well this sucks! I was hoping it would be done next year or the year after... Oh well.

8. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The OKC zoo really is an awesome zoo in my opinion. If I were to change one thing about it, I would redesign the big cat exhibits to make them easier to see, especially the lion exhibit. Other than that, it is an outstanding attraction and a great place to take visitors.
    That design is intentional. They want the cats to have the ability to retreat to private areas if they want to, or feel stressed, OR lets them be out and visible if they choose that instead. It is healthier for the animals mentally and physically. The exhibit better reflects a modern understanding of animals, animal management, and the effects habitats have on both.

I agree. Some of the exhibits at the Fort Worth Zoo were inhuman, imo.

Yes, famously, the OKC Zoo had an old, small bear exhibit and there was a polar bear that paced back and forth in his restricted enclosure for almost his entire life.

And of course, Oklahoma City had no business trying to keep an animal from that climate, and they ultimately transferred him to another zoo.

Thank goodness we know much more about how to treat animals and the the OKC Zoo has the funds to build proper habitats. It can make it harder to see the inhabitants at some times, but it's far, far more humane.

More on Carmichael the Polar Bear:
    http://amydeestephens.files.wordpres.../06/img122.jpg

Even back when it was a primitive animal jail, The OKC Zoo put The Denver Zoo to shame.
    From the time I was an impressionable child I always loved the OKC Zoo.
    Maybe this "ingrained prejudice" makes me wonder seriously about any Political Jackass who would propose removing funding from The OKC Zoo. Perhaps he would rather be on exhibit there than do whatever it is he is actually doing now.

But it doesn't matter, because I don't live in OKC and can't vote for Mayor.
    Yet I probably live closer to the OKC Zoo than most of the voters who have an official vote.

Isn't "Zoo" a great word? I think it is. There is no other word like "Zoo" . . . except maybe Kazoo . . . =)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I agree. Some of the exhibits at the Fort Worth Zoo were inhuman, imo.
    I would hope that ALL of the exhibits at The Fort Worth Zoo were inhuman.
    Otherwise The Fort Worth Zoo would be nothing but a year round, old time, State Fair Geek Tent exhibit.
    (wouldn't it?)

The London zoo actually had a humans exhibit a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Otherwise The Fort Worth Zoo would be nothing but a year round, old time, State Fair Geek Tent exhibit.
    (wouldn't it?)
    Hey now, pointing out that someone forgot to type in the final 'e' in a word is not german to the discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    (wouldn't it?)
    Ooops, meant to say inhumane, left out an important letter

A new 120 pound bundle of joy.

Oklahoma City Zoo welcomes baby rhino | News OK

- Oklahoma City Zoo
    It has a time frame now and this postponed project will move forward.

Oklahoma City Zoo moves forward with second phase of Asia project | NewsOK.com

Wish they would add Panda's. They are my favorite animals. If I was rich, I'd have one as pet for a companion.

FYI, tonight is the last night (Doh) for this year's Haunt the Zoo.
    - Oklahoma City Zoo

Image below, from a recent HTZ night, is Mary Poppins and Bert, aka Claire, a very delightful lass who works PT with the zoo (and whom we truly adore) and our youngest lad Alan.

Holy crap! Have you been to the zoo lately?!?!? It's amazing! We truly have a world class zoo! The new elephant habitat is HHHUUGGGGEEE!! I think its currently the largest elephant exhibit in North America and I wouldn't doubt that for a second! The elephants seemed happier too. One of them kept banging their head against a big rock... I don't know what that was about. Maybe it was the pregnant one... That would explain it lol.

Did anyone happen to go today by chance? It was the busiest I have ever seen it! People were parking in the grass across the street by Remington Park. There were DROVES of people.. We were literally elbow to elbow the entire time and surprisingly it was still really fun!
    When I saw the Thead Topic I misread it as OKC "ZOOL" . . .
    And immediately cross-referenced to ZOOL in Ghostbusters.
    Except the ZOOL in the movie was actually ZUUL.
    And The OKC ZOO is probably the most outstanding public example of Shared Civic Pride, ever.
    It had the Denver Zoo beat way back in the 50's.
    Kudos to all involved.

Just don't open the fridge for a bit Rad.

Holy crap! Have you been to the zoo lately?!?!? It's amazing! We truly have a world class zoo! The new elephant habitat is HHHUUGGGGEEE!! I think its currently the largest elephant exhibit in North America and I wouldn't doubt that for a second! The elephants seemed happier too. One of them kept banging their head against a big rock... I don't know what that was about. Maybe it was the pregnant one... That would explain it lol.

Did anyone happen to go today by chance? It was the busiest I have ever seen it! People were parking in the grass across the street by Remington Park. There were DROVES of people.. We were literally elbow to elbow the entire time and surprisingly it was still really fun!
    Were you being sarcastic? I think we have Ana amazing zoo.

OKC does indeed have a very amazing zoo. It's well known outside of Oklahoma, and for good reason.

24. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Still has the Denver Zoo beat by a long shot though its pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Were you being sarcastic? I think we have Ana amazing zoo.
    I must've been high when I typed that.

No sarcasm.

Thread Information