Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

1. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Actually did not get over to that part of the zoo, just heard it on the tram.
    you talked me into going this past weekend. cool weather and was curious to see it almost complete. It still isn't open but they had already moved some animals over to the new part. They had signs on their old cages.

I thought the new asia area would match the elephant area in theming but the new area didn't look as nice. For example the elephant area has grass roofing and the asia part just has regular shingles. Lots of concrete instead of wood flooring. Kills the theming. I'll hold off final judgement until I can walk the full thing rather than spy on it from the elephant exhibit.

2. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Got a letter from ZooFriends

Sanctuary Asia opening on Sept. 30th.

Default Re: OKC Zoo

The Container Store is donating a percentage of their proceeds during Opening Weekend to Zoofriends.

The Great EscApe is in the foreground and new Sanctuary Asia in the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Great EscApe is in the foreground and new Sanctuary Asia in the center.

So they call the elephant exhibit "The Great EscApe"?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    So they call the elephant exhibit "The Great EscApe"?
    Where did you get that?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Where did you get that?
    Pete said the Great EscApe is in the foreground in his image, am I misunderstanding the definition of foreground?

Great EscAPE is to the right there in the foreground and the elephant enclosure is more center..

Blog Entries

Northeast OKC Oklahoma City Zoo

Same Shells, New Digs: Galapagos Tortoise

Habitat Under Construction at OKC Zoo

The Oklahoma City Zoo’s Galapagos tortoises are getting a new, modern habitat located just inside the Zoo’s entrance! The approximately $700,000 expansion is under construction in the former Secret Garden area of the Children’s Zoo and should be complete by late summer.

The new Galapagos tortoise habitat consists of one indoor and two outdoor spaces. The climate-controlled 900 sq. ft. indoor habitat consists of a nesting area, an indoor pool, natural substrate floors, a vestibule for animal caretakers with a sink and utility space. It also features an open-air viewing area for Zoo guests. The outdoor spaces total 8,000 sq. ft. to roam with natural boulders, a log wall and native landscaping. A walkway for Zoo guests will also be constructed.

Galapagos tortoises are some of the longest living animals in the world, and the Zoo’s group of four are its oldest inhabitants. Unfortunately, spotty recordkeeping before they found their forever homes means it’s not possible to determine their exact ages. Max, Ellie, Isabela (Isa for short) and Mrs. B range from 70 to 110 years old! Max has lived at the OKC Zoo since 1974, and he’s coming up on his 75th birthday. Ellie has been with us since 1986, and she’s believed to be in her late 70s. Isa and Mrs. B arrived in 2016 and are the most senior of the group. Isa is about 90 years old and Mrs. B is between 100 and 110. The Galapagos tortoises will benefit from the new addition’s larger outdoor space and larger, modern indoor space.

Their current habitat at Island Life will be going away when construction begins on the Zoo’s next major project bringing its African species together. Construction on that project is tentatively scheduled to begin in mid-2020.

Galapagos tortoises were on a rapid decline towards extinction, going from over 200,000 individuals in the 1600s all the way down to 3,000 in the 1970s. Due to rigorous conservation efforts, their population is on the rise! There are now about 20,000 Galapagos tortoises in the wild.

Source: Oklahoma City Zoo website: https://www.okczoo.org/blog/posts/sa...ion-at-okc-zoo

Looking forward to this. Also excited about their plans for Africa.

The OKC Zoo is a World Class Zoological Park. Every Oklahoman should be proud of it.

I love our zoo, would really like to see them do an Africa themed exhibit like the new Asian exhibit. Would also like to see them build out an area in the Asian exhibit for the tigers.

I think the Cat exhibit is outdated and small for the amount of big cats they have.

13. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    The OKC Zoo is a World Class Zoological Park. Every Oklahoman should be proud of it.
    ^ most definitely. Something OKC does right!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

It will be nice to see the old pachyderm building gone.

I found this conceptual plan for Africa exhibit. Not sure how much of it will become a reality. I'm excited that their planning on train to actually go somewhere and not just a loop. lol

http://www.3frommedesign.com/master_ok_zoo_africa.html

15. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I go to a zoo with every new city I visit. Many don't even come close to comparing to how great our zoo is. From the amount of activities to conservation to learning they really do a fantastic job.

I for one cant wait to go to one of the adult Date Nights in June!

What's the difference between an adult Date Night and any other date night?

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    What's the difference between an adult Date Night and any other date night?
    Everyone there will be adult. No kids allowed. Plus, other perks such as alcohol.

https://kfor.com/2019/05/09/oklahoma...ights-in-june/

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post

I found this conceptual plan for Africa exhibit. Not sure how much of it will become a reality. I'm excited that their planning on train to actually go somewhere and not just a loop. lol

The Masterplan looks nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    The Masterplan looks nice as well.
    I saw that. Looks like they hope to turn other side of lake into campground and get rid of zoo amphitheater.

As well as turning the old bear exhibit area into an open air sea lion exhibit.

21. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I am excited about this fact also. The train should go through the entire zoo, having stops at the major "continents" and attractions. This could be a nice asset as many folks dont want or cant walk the entire zoo - especially as we add more continents the zoo will be even larger. Also the train can help to fit everything in by closing time - which I wish they'd extend past 5pm in Spring-Summer-Fall if they don't already.

I also wish they would bring back the aerial tram as it too would make a nice way to get an overview of the zoo and is something for those who don't have enough time. The aerial also would make a nice impression and a ride in itself like the train but also serve to get from one place to another.

Finally, add in more theme attractions with restaurants like the new Asia complex (have one for Africa, Europe, S America, N America, .... ) that might showcase food in those areas far beyond the hot dogs/hamburgers. Wouldn't it be nice to go to the OKC Zoo and get a bowl of Pho and/or sushi in the Asia complex? That's my thought and with the extensive train and aerial tram - likely might not only bring in more $$ so the zoo can become self sustaining (perhaps retiring the dedicated sales tax or just use that for capital only expenditure) but would give that WOW factor to visitors in something other zoo's don't have while also being quite functional/if not necessary.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Yeah, new Asia exhibit is really isolated. There is only one path to get there.

I saw that. Looks like they hope to turn other side of lake into campground and get rid of zoo amphitheater.
    it is going to be a massize camp ground for the girl scouts

https://www.news9.com/story/39556995...ew-camp-ground

Are there any future plans to update or expand upon the Aquatics area? This is my favorite part of any zoo and wish this area could be better.

Don’t know how reliable the master plan is, but it looks like they are planning on moving the sea lions out and then hopefully rehabilitate the center itself.

Thread Information