Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bricktown3 Bodyworks Site

• 150 room Canopy Hotel with rooftop bar
    • 125 room Home 2 Hotel
    • (2) 80-100 unit apartment / condo buildings
    • Multi-level parking garage

NewsOK Article

Default Re: Bodyworks Site

Wow. When this is all said and done, north of Reno will be a great urban district and south of Reno will be the textbook definition of suburbia. That Chevy lot is going to be a big key it seems.

Great for east Bricktown but it will be interesting with the hotel situation. Especially with the 2 hotels with the steelyard development.

I'd really love to see this property developed but 2 more hotels??

There are already 9 built or planned for Bricktown alone.

Exactly my thoughts Pete. Nice apartments mixed with retail would be much preferred. Steve's had some great quotes from Patel and Mazaheri so it will be interesting to see what who the Canopy flagship go to. Mazaheri seems to think he can get it first or be more preferred for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Exactly my thoughts Pete. Nice apartments mixed with retail would be much preferred. Steve's had some great quotes from Patel and Mazaheri so it will be interesting to see what who the Canopy flagship go to. Mazaheri seems to think he can get it first or be more preferred for some reason.
    Why not some for sale housing? I'd be waiting to see if we've hit the saturation point on rental apartments as well as hotels. The demand for for sale housing is likely there as the young people living in rentals age and start having children. The Hill and the new Civic Center housing are currently the only for sale housing, although 3 lots in Maywood just went on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    The demand for for sale housing is likely there as the young people living in rentals age and start having children. The Hill and the new Civic Center housing are currently the only for sale housing, although 3 lots in Maywood just went on the market.
    If that's your target demo, the prices of for sale would need to drop pretty significantly and I don't see that happening. Even stuff in Mesta Park and Gatewood is pretty out of range for that demo. Sure there are some here that live in those places, but why do you think Classen-Ten-Penn is taking off? Young people can actually afford those.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    If that's your target demo, the prices of for sale would need to drop pretty significantly and I don't see that happening. Even stuff in Mesta Park and Gatewood is pretty out of range for that demo. Sure there are some here that live in those places, but why do you think Classen-Ten-Penn is taking off? Young people can actually afford those.
    As a group perhaps yes, but there are definitely young families who can afford downtown prices. Probably a quarter of the brownstone owners now are under 40. There are young families in Heritage Hills and Mesta Park as well. There may be families with older children who would consider living downtown as well, now that the idea doesn't seem as revolutionary as it did 8-10 years ago. I think it's great that some are choosing Classen Ten Penn though. It's going to end up a great close-in neighborhood.

I don't believe Mr. Mazaheri has ever developed a hotel.

Most of his property is out on/near Memorial Road:

Properties

Pete, remind me again who owns and what the plans are for the property just north of this? The property on the south side of Sheridan, just west of Lincoln is what I am referring to.

I hope this doesn't derail the proposed Canopy project, which is badly needed infill in the core of Bricktown. That said, it will be great to see another eyesore gone and replaced with (hopefully) a quality development.

This is so shady.

If this gets built I hope the parking garage allows for the surface parking in front of Chevy & at Bass Pro to be developed.

There are actually 12 hotels built or planned in the area, so this site would make 14:

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are actually 12 hotels built or planned in the area, so this site would make 14:

Damn, look at all that surface parking in Lower Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    It's mindnumbing isn't it? Even if Randy Hogan wanted to use surface parking, what made him think it was the best use for canal-front real estate?

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    When you look at the revenue generating portion of Bricktown compared to the non-revenue portion it is staggering to think how far the area has to go. Most of what people consider the urbanized portion of Bricktown would fit in the Chevy Event Center surface parking lot.

Honestly, comments like this from the developer have me a little concerned but it shows a basic misunderstanding of what is trying to be accomplished in Bricktown. Given the choice between building on a small piece of land or spreading that same hotel out on 4.6 acres then I vote for small piece of land. His comment was not a selling point for me.

He has a very small piece of land, and we’re looking at having 4.6 acres.”

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    When you look at the revenue generating portion of Bricktown compared to the non-revenue portion it is staggering to think how far the area has to go. Most of what people consider the urbanized portion of Bricktown would fit in the Chevy Event Center surface parking lot.

Honestly, comments like this from the developer have me a little concerned but it shows a basic misunderstanding of what is trying to be accomplished in Bricktown. Given the choice between building on a small piece of land or spreading that same hotel out on 4.6 acres then I vote for small piece of land. His comment was not a selling point for me.
    He's not talking about a hotel on 4.6 acres. He's talking about condos, a parking garage and another hotel as well. This should change the way you think about it if he does all he says he will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    He's not talking about a hotel on 4.6 acres. He's talking about condos, a parking garage and another hotel as well. This should change the way you think about it if he does all he says he will do.
    I totally get that and this project seems like it will fit within the vision many of us have for Bricktown. I just took it to mean that they were specifically talking about the Canopy hotel portions of each development. Once a site plan is made available we can see exactly what it going to look like from a land-use perspective. I'll wait until then to bring the subject up again.

19. Default Re: Bodyworks Site

Most of what people consider the urbanized portion of Bricktown would fit in the Chevy Event Center surface parking lot.
    Not to disagree just 'cause, but that wouldn't even be close. You can take the buildings bounded by Reno, Sheridan, Mickey Mantle, and the BNSF Railroad Viaduct and that would fill the Chevy Event Center parking lot alone. Not counting the proposed Canopy or U/C Brickopolis. The rest of the structures that one would consider the urbanized portion of Bricktown could fill it almost 3 times over again. It's pretty simple to see this on the map provided above thanks to alley lines and equal block sizes.

Unless most people consider the upper canal to be the only urbanized portion of Bricktown... Now Lower Bricktown could almost fit into the Chevy parking lot, that's for sure.

20. Default Re: Bodyworks Site

I know that you were restricting your comments to the official Bricktown/LBT/DD boundaries east of the tracks, but in keeping with your sentiments it's worth noting that there are five MORE (unlabeled) hotels ALSO in the same photo. The convention hotel (barely out of frame) would make an even 20 in the immediate vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Remember when we were discussing the poorly conceived site plan for the Staybridge Suites east of here, and this parcel was brought up by the anti-urbanist as to why the Staybridge project shouldn't have to comply with urban design principles. Funny how that works.

Remember when we were discussing the poorly conceived site plan for the Staybridge Suites east of here, and this parcel was brought up by the anti-urbanist as to why the Staybridge project shouldn't have to comply with urban design principles. Funny how that works.
    I can't remember a single person arguing FOR the staybridge suites site plan.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I can't remember a single person arguing FOR the staybridge suites site plan.
    Just look for any comment from the usual suspects.

Staybridge Suites - OKCTalk

Hmmm, i know hes working on this but it seems like hes just sitting on the BoA drive thru....has there been any words about plans for it in a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post
    Hmmm, i know hes working on this but it seems like hes just sitting on the BoA drive thru....has there been any words about plans for it in a while?
    No.

When I talked to Mr. Mazaheri right after that purchase, he was very vague about his plans.

Not elusive at all, more like he wasn't really sure what he wanted to do on the site.

Thread Information