Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bodyworks Site

Default Re: Bodyworks Site

Downtown OKC didn't get along, and politicans prior to 2000 seemed to be content with the seedy hourly and adults- only motels that lined Lincoln Blvd at the time.

Found this site plan which shows:

• 150 room Canopy Hotel with rooftop bar
    • 125 room Home 2 Hotel
    • (2) 80-100 unit apartment / condo buildings
    • Multi-level parking garage

I'm surprised they're still talking about building hotels. How close are we to market saturation?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I'm surprised they're still talking about building hotels. How close are we to market saturation?
    Nationwide hotel occupancy rates are at their highest level (seasonally-adjusted) EVER. I haven't seen the numbers for the OKC metro but if they are anything like the national numbers you can easily see why banks are eager to finance these things.

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/20...-for-best.html

Man, something needs to happen to that big ass parking lot in front of BEC.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Something needs to happen with that parking period. Getting so tired of seeing surface parking lots. They ought to be banned at least in the downtown area or taxed like hell per space. Structured parking is the way they should go and it is a win-win.

Edit: I just noticed it is a parking garage but it looks to be only 2 stories. Would be nice to see it taller and take up less room so some buildings can front Lincoln.

HangryHippo Guest

In the worst way.

They need to take another stab at that site plan. I am willing to offer free consultation.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Something needs to happen with that parking period. Getting so tired of seeing surface parking lots. They ought to be banned at least in the downtown area or taxed like hell per space. Structured parking is the way they should go and it is a win-win.

Edit: I just noticed it is a parking garage but it looks to be only 2 stories. Would be nice to see it taller and take up less room so some buildings can front Lincoln.
    He's talking about Bricktown Event Center.

Energy FC Re: Bodyworks Site

Agree. I vote for an Energy stadium.
    Credit to d usa for the photoshop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GBMLiE8.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	11763

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    He's talking about Bricktown Event Center.
    Oh. Yeah I wish that would go away as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    They need to take another stab at that site plan. I am willing to offer free consultation.
    What changes would you make?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    What changes would you make?
    Far from perfect, but it's pretty good.

Well it's a little weird to see an entire city block proposal in Bricktown that is surface-parked...

This project just screams cheapola. Because that's what it is. But as far as cheap goes, no it isn't bad. They didn't do anything maliciously stupid like the Candlewood project across the street.

I think this is an instance where you apply standards here for the sake of protecting Gary Brooks' investment (that is if you need a reason other than having standards). The Steelyard, and all of the hard work that Brooks has poured into that which by the way he didn't have to do, really should raise the bar for East Bricktown. Really all of Bricktown.

I just worry with the way that things go in OKC that once Steelyard is done, people will be amazed at how excellent it is, and then we will go straight back to the type of developments that East Bricktown has always had: Bass Pro, McDonald's, gas station, suburban city-built fire station, green pitch roof inn, Harkins, Sonic, Toby Keith's, Earl's Rib Palace, KD's Soul Food, and of course parking on parking (but not actually on top of said parking).

The parking area is a very large garage I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryor Tiger View Post
    The parking area is a very large garage I believe.
    Didn't see the ramp. That's certainly better than I realized then, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Didn't see the ramp. That's certainly better than I realized then, thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    It seems to be only 2 stories though. They could have stacked it more instead of having a parking garage fronting Lincoln.

Agreed, but that's still way better than anything anyone else has done along Lincoln. Really anywhere from I-40 up to... I-44? lol

Every city has a corridor that is really much, much worse than the locals realize. Lincoln ("Renaissance" and all) may be ours. It's pretty bad.

I just worry with the way that things go in OKC that once Steelyard is done, people will be amazed at how excellent it is, and then we will go straight back to the type of developments that East Bricktown has always had: Bass Pro, McDonald's, gas station, suburban city-built fire station, green pitch roof inn, Harkins, Sonic, Toby Keith's, Earl's Rib Palace, KD's Soul Food, and of course parking on parking (but not actually on top of said parking).
    Hopefully once the Steelyard is done, people will understand how these developments should be done and others will raise the bar.

Most of what you mention was built by Randy Hogan. While there is so much to be excited about in OKC, I get depressed every time I walk the canal down past the Harkins. Randy Hogan also had no excuse given what other cities were building at the time.

Let alone some of what he has done in other cities, including proposed in suburban Jenks, Oklahoma...

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Hopefully once the Steelyard is done, people will understand how these developments should be done and others will raise the bar.

Most of what you mention was built by Randy Hogan. While there is so much to be excited about in OKC, I get depressed every time I walk the canal down past the Harkins. Randy Hogan also had no excuse given what other cities were building at the time.
    Wait, you don't like Lower Bricktown?

Let alone some of what he has done in other cities, including proposed in suburban Jenks, Oklahoma...
    What development are you referring to?

Across the Creek Turnpike from the Oklahoma Aquarium there..

OKCTalk - First look at 10-story Canopy Hotel for Bricktown

Looks like the condo plans may be on hold but hotel is going forward.

Thread Information