Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northpark Mall

Default Re: Northpark Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe it just died on the vine for some reason.
    Do you think the neighborhoods near it voicing displeasure over a club that close to their homes had anything to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Do you think the neighborhoods near it voicing displeasure over a club that close to their homes had anything to do with it?
    I believe it received the necessary approvals but the proprietors never moved forward after that.

I just heard the proprietor of the club is moving forward with his plans after finding an investor.

That is good to hear! Fingers crossed this happens.

Making progress at The Liszt (from their FB page):

This definitely seems like an odd place for a nightclub, unless it's one that will be primarily targeting older people.

There are TONS of apartments in the immediate area.

Go to the Sidecar at Chisholm Creek and you'll see oceans of young people, all dying for a place to go.

There are TONS of apartments in the immediate area.

Go to the Sidecar at Chisholm Creek and you'll see oceans of young people, all dying for a place to go.
    Yep, the whole apartment ghetto (not really a ghetto, that's just what we called it 'cos there were so many apts, and we lived there in a couple of different complexes) in the 122nd/Penn area is huuuuuge.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yep, the whole apartment ghetto (not really a ghetto, that's just what we called it 'cos there were so many apts, and we lived there in a couple of different complexes) in the 122nd/Penn area is huuuuuge.
    And there are now thousands of units north of Memorial and farther to the west.

Sidecar has been absolutely overrun and there are not many other places for people to go up there. Hopscotch is packing them in as well.

Wonder why pink parrot couldn't survive in that area.

The only thing that makes me doubt the success of The Liszt is access and visibility. Its on the backside of a low-volume mall that is kind of a good ways away from the restaurant corridor along Memorial road. If a night club ever went in at Chisholm creek, I feel like they would be a lot more successful with all the entertainment venues and restaurants nearby.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Wonder why pink parrot couldn't survive in that area.
    Because the space wasn't very inviting and the food not good. You can have lots of potential in the market but you still have to produce a good product to exist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The only thing that makes me doubt the success of The Liszt is access and visibility. Its on the backside of a low-volume mall that is kind of a good ways away from the restaurant corridor along Memorial road. If a night club ever went in at Chisholm creek, I feel like they would be a lot more successful with all the entertainment venues and restaurants nearby.
    As long as they don't have to go through the mall to enter it should be fine. The mall interior is dated and feels almost creepy. Time for a serious update. But, it's a great space for power walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    As long as they don't have to go through the mall to enter it should be fine. The mall interior is dated and feels almost creepy. Time for a serious update. But, it's a great space for power walking.
    Is it going in that same spot on the map that Pete showed a couple of years ago? I don't think it has an exterior entrance and if it does, its almost like a back door. They will need some good signage on the mall entrance facing towards May.

It may be a great success, just feels like their is a lot more energy at Chisholm Creek and its only going to get bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Wouldn't you say that the interior, though dated, has its own charm? It really reminds me of '70s-era malls which were still quite successful into the '90s before being killed off by the large super-regional malls. There aren't many of those left and it's cool to have one that is still successful in OKC.

I don't mind the interior.

If and when the theater does a renovation that will make a huge difference.

I don't mind the interior.

If and when the theater does a renovation that will make a huge difference.
    I haven't been to that theater since shortly after moving back here and I think even by dollar theater standards, it's pretty bad. Are they planning a renovation?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I haven't been to that theater since shortly after moving back here and I think even by dollar theater standards, it's pretty bad. Are they planning a renovation?
    I talked to AMC and they said they would like to re-do it but they haven't committed to doing so.

That cinema is where I saw Return of the Jedi when it first opened. The first time I saw Empire Strikes Back was at the cinema in Stubbeman Village.

I also saw other movies at Northpark, but I remember Jedi specifically.

I saw Austin Powers in that theater, baby.

21. Default Re: Northpark Mall

I saw Stripes in that theater, baby. Living in Wichita then but summers in OKC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Wouldn't you say that the interior, though dated, has its own charm? It really reminds me of '70s-era malls which were still quite successful into the '90s before being killed off by the large super-regional malls. There aren't many of those left and it's cool to have one that is still successful in OKC.
    Interior isn’t cool, even in a retro way, imho. It is dark and cold feeling. The successful entities all have outside entrances or are right at the doors. There are almost no interior displays or merchandising done that creates an invitation to come in. There are few inside the actual mall, except for walkers who are just looking to be inside from the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    That cinema is where I saw Return of the Jedi when it first opened. The first time I saw Empire Strikes Back was at the cinema in Stubbeman Village.

I also saw other movies at Northpark, but I remember Jedi specifically.
    I believe it was Return I saw there too, stood in a long line for a midnight show... Also saw Reds there. Both were on the BIG screen they had before they shoeboxed all the theaters. Went there unwillingly a while back, not gonna go back.

Liszt is close to opening and is targeting the end of the month.

Grand opening for the Liszt is this Friday 2/2 at 8PM.

They've spent a ton of money... Will be very interesting to see how they do and the impact on the mall.

I was told it will be non-smoking.

Thread Information