Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northpark Mall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Far North Northpark Mall

A new nightclub is proposed for the mall. I am not sure if I like this.

http://kfor.com/2015/01/29/proposed-...d-about-crime/

Default Re: North Park Mall

I like the intention but I am not sure it should go in North Park Mall. I am sure the club will fail if they go in there. If they are able to get past NIMBY opposition, simply the fact its in suburbia in OKC will be strikes against it. I think its a better fit for somewhere in the urban core.

Not my sort of spot, but it will hopefully meet a need and meet it nicely. Myself, a bit of a dive look and some decent jazz and you have my attention.

I have some renderings I will post later.

Finish out will be quite nice.

Wow. If it ends up like they say, it should be pretty nice.

Would prefer it go in Bricktown, AA, or Midtown.

I agree it would be nice addition to downtown but the location is really growing on me. Northpark has been trying to brand itself as higher end more and more and a high end club like this(the pictures are really nice) would be a nice addition to what could be a growing nightlife scene for the area. The bars on memorial are often filled on weekends so I think this will just add to that and give an alternate destination. Not everyone wants to go downtown every weekend so more choices can't hurt but it has to be done right. They have to enforce security and keep it from turning into the lower ends clubs that are downtown now, don't let it turn into a drink till you puke and then leave establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    I agree it would be nice addition to downtown but the location is really growing on me. Northpark has been trying to brand itself as higher end more and more and a high end club like this(the pictures are really nice) would be a nice addition to what could be a growing nightlife scene for the area. The bars on memorial are often filled on weekends so I think this will just add to that and give an alternate destination. Not everyone wants to go downtown every weekend so more choices can't hurt but it has to be done right. They have to enforce security and keep it from turning into the lower ends clubs that are downtown now, don't let it turn into a drink till you puke and then leave establishment.
    That's true.

The other thing that intrigues me about this is why they choose North Park. I'm sure collectively here we could name dozens of better sites that would be closer to areas of rapid growth that is geared more towards a younger environment, but they choose here. Quail creek has a lot of money hidden in it and I could easily see it becoming a younger homeowner based in it, in 10 years as most the original homeowners scale down for retirement but that's far into the future. I just think they must know something or have a good hindsight to choose this as their location.

One of the big appeals for the operators is all the parking.

The mall has oceans of it and there is almost no one there at night.

BTW, the club would be in the back of the mall, on the east side.

Is anything closing there to make space for the club ?

11. Default Re: North Park Mall

Yes, but that was in the 80s.

Surprisingly, the mall is relatively full these days.

BC Clark just moved into a much bigger space and they spent a ton of money on build out. They now have their own entrance facing May:

Here is where this club would go.

According the latest retail survey, the mall is 75% leased:

Seems like a great deal to me. This place is dead at night except for the second run theater. Probably no one there to hear the noise. And if someone passes out drunk on Saturday night they can wake up and walk to the church that used to be the skating rink.

Default Re: Northpark Mall

Pete, any idea what the build out cost?

No, they haven't submitted a building permit yet.

I'm sure they want to get their rezoning (Planning Commission) first.

17. Default Re: Northpark Mall

I love the concept, however, I think the location is absolutely bizarre. I would rather not party at Northpark Mall, but I'll definitely check it out though.

Quote Originally Posted by edcrunk View Post
    I love the concept, however, I think the location is absolutely bizarre. I would rather not party at Northpark Mall, but I'll definitely check it out though.
    I agree. I question its viability at Northpark Mall. I would rather this club open downtown and be success than out in the burbs and be a failure. As has been said above though, it could work.

19. Default Re: Northpark Mall

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. I question its viability at Northpark Mall. I would rather this club open downtown and be success than out in the burbs and be a failure. As has been said above though, it could work.
    Downtown or on Memorial makes more sense to me.

It was approved.

terryinokc Guest

Any update on this club? It's been a year and a half...and after much fanfare and publicity on the news--no word lately. Is it still going to happen?

Last time I was at north park I watched 40 year old virgin and the projector quite 2/3 way in and had to cancel showing. Oh well only cost $.50

From the JR:

New direction for Northpark: Nightclub requests liquor zoning at mall

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record January 30, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – A developer has plans for a nightclub, but it won’t be in Bricktown or any other area that often sees bar development.

The Oklahoma City Planning Commission approved OK46 Entertainment Venture LLC’s plans to renovate a 4,880-square-foot space into The Liszt, a mixed-beverage club at Northpark Mall, 12100 N. May Ave., in the city’s northwest corridor. The application even received praise from the commission for being highly detailed. The plans will next go before the City Council.

Renderings submitted to the Planning Commission include high-quality finishes such as glass-entry doors, a liquid-motion tile wall in the entrance, faux stone walls and chandeliers. There will also be a disc jockey to help entice people to the dance floor.

The LLC is being represented by attorney Steve McCaleb, who presented the plan to the Planning Commission on Jan. 15.

Northpark Mall is owned by Tom Morris Enterprises. Vice President Kevyn Colburn said the company is excited about the club. She said the company is in preliminary stages with negotiating the lease.

“We do think it will be a good addition to our current tenant mix,” she said.

McCaleb filed a simplified planned unit development application, or SPUD, for the site since the area is less than 300 feet from a residential area. The Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Control Act requires that mixed-beverage clubs be at least 300 feet from residential areas. With a SPUD, McCaleb was able to ask for an exception to be considered for the alcoholic beverage control, level 3 permit overlay. Developers will still need to get a alcoholic beverage license. The club’s back wall would be less than 100 feet from the Quail Creek neighborhood, and the SPUD would make an allowance for it. McCaleb said during the meeting that two restaurants at Northpark already have mixed-beverage licenses, Rococo and Shogun Steak House of Japan.

McCaleb said the developer also met with all of the mall’s property owners and the vice president of the Quail Creek Homeowners Association. There were no protests filed with the commission, and no one spoke against it at the meeting.

“If you look closely at the application, this is a very, very detailed operation,” said Nick Gales, planning commissioner. “I believe when people see this operation, there will not be any protests.”

The application includes a requirement that the club owners use an identity scanner. McCaleb said the owner plans to use a Servall Biometric Identity Scanner to keep track of patrons and make sure they can legally enter the facility.

Several commission members commended McCaleb for his thoroughness on the application.

“It’s nice to have a really detailed application,” said John Yoeckel, commission chairman.

I believe it just died on the vine for some reason.

Thread Information