Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northpark Mall

Default Re: Northpark Mall

There was an attempt at a small exclusive club restaurant with a piano bar on the back side of the mall in the '80s. Short lived, the bust killed it if not other reasons. It was called St James Infirmary IIRC. It shared a kitchen with a burger joint that faced into the mall. I believe it started out as public and then went to some sort of members only deal. I went there once with my wife right after it opened. Went back later with my brother in law and they wouldn't let us in. That was in the days when both the mall and the area in general were considered upscale. The mall had recently expanded and was filling out.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    There was an attempt at a small exclusive club restaurant with a piano bar on the back side of the mall in the '80s. Short lived, the bust killed it if not other reasons. It was called St James Infirmary IIRC. It shared a kitchen with a burger joint that faced into the mall. I believe it started out as public and then went to some sort of members only deal. I went there once with my wife right after it opened. Went back later with my brother in law and they wouldn't let us in. That was in the days when both the mall and the area in general were considered upscale. The mall had recently expanded and was filling out.
    i'm a sucker for this kind of stuff... didn't find anything regarding turning into a private club but found a neat article from 1978. the entrance was off the back alley under a green awning. the kitchen was shared with the "out of bounds" restaurant that opened up into north park. dinner for two in 1978 dollars came to $36 after tip... a tidy sum for back then.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StJamesInfirmary.jpg 
Views:	1852 
Size:	339.7 KB 
ID:	14415  

Yep. Spendy. Sorta secret speakeasy kind of shtick with the back alley entrance. I don't think they put a name on the building or awning. Maybe on the door.

The rest of the story...I went to see a movie with my visiting brother in law. (Pretty Baby.) We were looking for a drink or meal before and/or after. I was trying to impress. Was real disappointed when they didn't let us in. We ended up that night at a dive bar farther south across from where Lynn Hickey dodge was called the Draught Board or the Draft Board, a random pick on his part since they had a neon Coors sign. He was a pretty preppy buttoned down guy, would have fit right in at St James. I thought we might have to fight our way out of the other place, especially since he was talking about stealing a Coors glass as a souvenir. Fortunately he did not. I think that was all the same night.

What is the target audience for The Liszt? I assume they are looking to attract 40-60 year-olds? I don't mean to cast doubt, but I just cannot see how this place would stay busy. I hope I'm wrong because I never want to see an OKC attempt at nightlife become a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    What is the target audience for The Liszt? I assume they are looking to attract 40-60 year-olds? I don't mean to cast doubt, but I just cannot see how this place would stay busy. I hope I'm wrong because I never want to see an OKC attempt at nightlife become a bust.
    I believe they hope to target the mature, more affluent market.

The main investor is 67 year-old Leo Kingston who was also behind Fat Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe they hope to target the mature, more affluent market.

The main investor is 67 year-old Leo Kingston who was also behind Fat Dog.
    Well that is a market that I am totally out of touch with - hopefully he nails it! I liked FatDog but, admittedly, we only made it by 3 or 4 times while it was open. What a great patio!

The Fat Dog was a little bit ahead of its time in my opinion. There wasn't (and still isn't) enough people living in that area and it didn't have much of a draw compared to its competition.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The Fat Dog was a little bit ahead of its time in my opinion. There wasn't (and still isn't) enough people living in that area and it didn't have much of a draw compared to its competition.
    Orrr....

It was owned and run by people who lived in far north OKC, had little existing constituency in the core and didn't do enough to build it.

Plenty of nearby places have succeeded.

If the dress code is 'mall walker casual' they should have no problem pulling them in off the concourse...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    If the dress code is 'mall walker casual' they should have no problem pulling them in off the concourse...
    As long as it's not after 6:30PM.

I believe this place is being run by the same guy that did run or still runs Groovy's. While Groovy's is by no means my favorite place, it is always packed when I have been or driven by.

Back to the mall, what was the original tenant where Shoe Carnival now resides?

That's a 30,000 square foot space and I know it had been a small department store in years gone by (not Steinmart I don't think but something like that)... Does anyone remember that store and if was original when the mall opened in the 70's?

Back to the mall, what was the original tenant where Shoe Carnival now resides?

That's a 30,000 square foot space and I know it had been a small department store in years gone by (not Steinmart I don't think but something like that)... Does anyone remember that store and if was original when the mall opened in the 70's?
    Shoe Gallery? I believe it was the M.M. Cohn space...

Streets operated in the space where BC Clark is (and Shoe Gallery used to occupy).

Yes, sorry, Shoe Gallery.

And I remember M.M. Cohn. Do you think this was the only previous tenant in that space?

(And with some googling: prior to that, Clarke's)

Clarke's was that big? Wow, wouldn't have thought that.

Thanks very much for the info.

Clarke's was that big? Wow, wouldn't have thought that.

Thanks very much for the info.
    You bet!

http://newsok.com/article/1967106

My aunt lived right by Northpark, so I remember spending a lot of time there in its heyday, but I only remember the MM Cohn days (born in '81, so at some point after the acquisition, it was rebranded by MM Cohn).

This is a sign outside Northpark promoting future interior renovations.

This is a sign outside Northpark promoting future interior renovations.

I really miss seeing the images... I haven't looked at OKCtalk on my phone yet, mainly because I prefer the form factor of having a larger computer screen. I might try and borrow my wife's Surface book to view OKCtalk!

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I really miss seeing the images... I haven't looked at OKCtalk on my phone yet, mainly because I prefer the form factor of having a larger computer screen. I might try and borrow my wife's Surface book to view OKCtalk!
    You aren't missing much in this case. The renderings look like they're turning the mall into an office building.

Not sure what to think about this. Northpark is pushing 50 and so much of the public space is original that I would think a light "sprucing up" and selling the retro factor would make better financial sense. But as I look at that tile flooring, I am reminded that it is still a slimy foundation when we walk into any ancient fast food joint. Places originally built as a Grandy's, Long John Silver, etc.

At which point I hear John Huston in the movie Chinatown saying "Of course I'm respectable. I'm old. Publications, ugly buildings and whores all become respectable if they last long enough."

The Liszt, the nightclub that opened a couple of years ago in the mall, has permanently closed.

So has Rococo and the AMC Theater (a while ago), so this place has become pretty empty.

However, I believe The Hamilton is doing well as is Hacienda Tacos.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    much of the public space is original that I would think a light "sprucing up"
    Needs way more than "light". It has been due for a complete remodel for about 20 years.

The Liszt, the nightclub that opened a couple of years ago in the mall, has permanently closed.

So has Rococo and the AMC Theater (a while ago), so this place has become pretty empty.

I think The Hamilton is adding a separate bar/lounge next door too...

Rococo closing really hurt us. That was our favorite date night destination.

Thread Information