Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma smoking laws set to change

Default Re: Oklahoma smoking laws set to change

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    They we're thinking if they don't want to go to a smoky bar they won't. Oklahomans were libertarian minded on some things.

This can't be overstated. We don't really need a smoking ban. The market is taking care of it. Name one bar that has opened in the past few years that allows smoking (wsky doesn't count). Fassler, RJ's, Sidecar, Packards, Slaughter house, pump, mule, oak and ore, empire, etc.
    I truly can't remember the last time I came home from the bars and smelled like smoke outside of WSKY.
    When a coworker and I visited Fassler Hall for lunch a month or two ago, we asked if we could smoke and we were told we could, as long as we were near the end of the patio (on the corner of the building closest to St Anthony). But they did not allow smoking inside the main portion of the building.

For the record, I don't smoke often, but when I do I try to take care that I'm not bothering those around me. It's my decision to smoke, but that shouldn't cause discomfort for those around me. Perhaps I'm somewhat rare in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Name one bar in okc that's opened recently that allows smoking indoors. Most allow it on the patio in open air, which doesn't really bother that much. The free market is taking care of this for us.
    I consider the patio to be part of the premises.

prem·is·es
    ˈpreməsəz/
    noun
    a house or building, together with its land and outbuildings, occupied by a business or considered in an official context.

3. Default Re: Oklahoma smoking laws set to change

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    For the record, I don't smoke often, but when I do I try to take care that I'm not bothering those around me. It's my decision to smoke, but that shouldn't cause discomfort for those around me. Perhaps I'm somewhat rare in that regard.
    You're like a freaking albino leprechaun in that regard!

Any updates on this legislation? Do we know which legislator is working on this?
    Can we expect this to be introduced this next session?

6. Default Re: Oklahoma smoking laws set to change

Uh oh...wait until the state hears about this!

What's funny, is that while the state law disallowing cities to enact smoking bans has been in place since the 80's, Edmond has had a smoking ban at or near city parks/playgrounds since 2009 or so, and as far as I know it's never been challenged.

Good. Now to ban it on public sidewalks so I can actually enjoy dining outside.

Since everybody at all levels involved are all from the same party I don't expect there to ever be an outright challenge from one level of government to the other, but honestly I wish that would happen. The state is out of control. I'm not sure what a challenge would look like; lawyering would likely not be productive. Perhaps some form of public shaming from a political campaign. Clearly they aren't interested in working together to resolve local control. The state wants to run everything. Into the ground.

The State Law did change allowing cities to create ordinances for their own properties, hence the new ordinance. The OSCN still shows the 2010 document, however, and the State Statute was changed in late 2013. Here's the original memo to council on the ordinance:

http://www.okc.gov/councilnotes/2015...ing%20memo.pdf

That update only applies to city property though right? The city still does not have the ability to create an ordinance banning smoking in, for example, restaurants, right? I thought the state specifically passed a law taking that power away from cities and that it was still in effect?

That's really what I would like to see change and we are heading backward.

Now wait a minute, if I decide to open up a restaurant and want to allow smoking, who are you to tell me I can't do that. Smoking is legal. As such, if you don't like it you simply have the option of not being a customer of mine.

I am against smoking completely. If it were up to me, I'd ban smoking in public, maybe with the exception of designated smoking areas. But banning smoking in a private establishment goes a little too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Now wait a minute, if I decide to open up a restaurant and want to allow smoking, who are you to tell me I can't do that. Smoking is legal. As such, if you don't like it you simply have the option of not being a customer of mine.

I am against smoking completely. If it were up to me, I'd ban smoking in public, maybe with the exception of designated smoking areas. But banning smoking in a private establishment goes a little too far.
    That happens all over the country. It's not a new concept.

Don't you live in LA now? Literally the place that pioneered this position? I have every right to tell you that you have to maintain certain health related standards when you are preparing my food and when I am in your Restaraunt consuming it. That was settled about a hundred years ago.

Also, it's good that you're outside of this state now. You'll find that nearly every major city in the country now bans smoking in places like this. Big shocker, OKC is once again bringing up the rear on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That happens all over the country. It's not a new concept.
    That's fine. I still don't agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Don't you live in LA now? Literally the place that pioneered this position? I have every right to tell you that you have to maintain certain health related standards when you are preparing my food and when I am in your Restaraunt consuming it. That was settled about a hundred years ago.
    Yes, and California has several things I don't like about it than intrude on people's rights.

Listen, you don't have to come in my restaurant if you don't want to. If you do, you are choosing to enter my establishment knowing there are going to be smokers in there. Also, how do customers smoking affect how the food is prepared? It is prepared in a kitchen which is separated from the eating area. . . This isn't about food preparation safety, it's about whether or not I choose to allow smoking inside MY restaurant.

Also, I want to be clear, if I ever make it and get a lot money, I plan on opening up several restaurant concepts I've conjured up over the years. Not one of those will allow smoking inside.

^

This issue has already been settled in most states and western countries and the momentum is completely in one direction.

It's just that Oklahoma -- as usual -- is on the wrong side of yet another public health issue, at least for the time being.

So is driving, but we don't let people drive on the sidewalk, or go 100 mph down the interstate. Many legal activities have limitations.

Blog Entries

OKC Thunder sent out an email this morning to season ticket holders giving notice of City Ord. 25,294 and informing there will no longer be an outdoor smoking area on arena property (as of Jan. 29th game).

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    OKC Thunder sent out an email this morning to season ticket holders giving notice of City Ord. 25,294 and informing there will no longer be an outdoor smoking area on arena property (as of Jan. 29th game).
    And they also stated per NBA rules, if you leave the arena for any reason there is no re-entry during the game.

Smoking is legal.
    Except for the places where it is illegal - which now includes public property.

Is this new ordinance going to keep City employees from smoking outside the doors of City buildings (or is that already 'supposed' to be against the law)? Walking by any government building is like going into a 50's high school bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by just the facts View Post
    except for the places where it is illegal - which now includes public property.

Is this new ordinance going to keep city employees from smoking outside the doors of city buildings (or is that already 'supposed' to be against the law)? Walking by any government building is like going into a 50's high school bathroom.
    hoo hah!!! I almost peed my pants after laughing so hard.

Thread Information