Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: REI finally coming to Oklahoma!

Default Re: REI finally coming to Oklahoma!

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Here's the look of the store:
    I've been in several REIs that look just that, including the old Dallas location. So it is completely disingenuous to claim that REI is getting stuck with whatever the developer will give them. I am trying to remember all of them, but I have been in at least 13 REI locations, probably some others, there are only two that would be nice in this location, the Seattle Flagship and the Denver Flagship, literally every other one is a typical mid-box or strip center store.

The one in Santa Fe, NM, is pretty schnazzy. Kinda retrofitted it into an old train station, I believe.

After forcing a redesign, tulsa city council votes 5-4 to approve development of the park.

This thing is full of drama so check this thread for complete details. I suspect it won't start for a while until the lawsuits are finished.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=20890.0

Old plan

Updated

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    After forcing a redesign, tulsa city council votes 5-4 to approve development of the park.

This thing is full of drama so check this thread for complete details. I suspect it won't start for a while until the lawsuits are finished.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=20890.0
    The developer claims he will start construction as soon as October.

That site plan would be better if the retail pad on the north side was eliminated so take out that chunk of parking closer to 71st St. Just have REI, an adjacent coffee shop/cafe on the river side and the restaurant with outdoor seating on the trail. Some kind of river connection would be a nice touch too, similar to what they have near Blue Rose Cafe where one could rent kayaks.

And keep the majority of parking along Riverside and not along the trails with a better connection to the sand volleyball courts and Helmerich Park to the south. The added trees are good but there is still way too much parking, which I know they did it because they know trail/park users will park there.

Still terrible. It should require a city wide vote to sell off parkland. I love REI, and give them way more money than I should, but still hate this. They should've gone in caddy corner in the old Lube's spot before PF moved in there.

It's not affecting me so I can't wait til this opens. To have an REI within 100 miles is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    It's not affecting me so I can't wait til this opens. To have an REI within 100 miles is fantastic.
    "It doesn't affect me so I am indifferent"

That kind of thinking does nobody any good. Heaven forbid you show support for our states 2nd largest city

HangryHippo Guest

That kind of thinking does nobody any good. Heaven forbid you show support for our states 2nd largest city
    +1.

Oh give me a break and calm down. You too, Nick.

Trust me, I'm ready for Glichmer to get off their butts and make a frickin public comment about our OKC location but God almighty, you're gonna throw me under the bus for being thankful I can will now be able to go to a brick and mortar REI that is only 90 miles away vs. a suburb of Dallas, i.e. Plano??!

Pardon me, but I'll take the closer location. The fact that it's in Tulsa has nothing to do with praising the city of Tulsa.

The only thing I'll praise the City of Tulsa for is their design of their new park along...ahhh hmmm, above... Riverside Drive!

P.S. My grandparents lived in Tulsa all their lives (that I knew them). I love Tulsa. It is much more picturesque than OKC!

Oh give me a break and calm down. You too, Nick.

Trust me, I'm ready for Glichmer to get off their butts and make a frickin public comment about our OKC location but God almighty, you're gonna throw me under the bus for being thankful I can will now be able to go to a brick and mortar REI that is only 90 miles away vs. a suburb of Dallas, i.e. Plano??!

Pardon me, but I'll take the closer location. The fact that it's in Tulsa has nothing to do with praising the city of Tulsa.

The only thing I'll praise the City of Tulsa for is their design of their new park along...ahhh hmmm, above... Riverside Drive!

P.S. My grandparents lived in Tulsa all their lives (that I knew them). I love Tulsa. It is much more picturesque than OKC!
    I have no problem that you are excited it is close, I am sure a lot of folks are! But when that is all you care about, and not about the quality of the development, then you should expect people to call you on your selfishness.

What is good for Tulsa is often good for OKC, and in this instance an REI that fits the area would set a standard for future REI's in the state.

HangryHippo Guest

I have no problem that you are excited it is close, I am sure a lot of folks are! But when that is all you care about, and not about the quality of the development, then you should expect people to call you on your selfishness.

What is good for Tulsa is often good for OKC, and in this instance an REI that fits the area would set a standard for future REI's in the state.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    +1
    Ooooo...you're up to +2

I have no problem that you are excited it is close, I am sure a lot of folks are! But when that is all you care about, and not about the quality of the development, then you should expect people to call you on your selfishness

Lol as if anything they are proposing could be better than what they aren't proposing. Okc4me is right.

Oh, and what is built here certainly won't set a precedent for what REI stores are built in OKC. What a ridiculous notion.

HangryHippo Guest

Ooooo...you're up to +2

What's your problem? Soonerfan is making excellent points that I agree with. Having trouble wrapping your mind around the thought someone might care about their city's aesthetic over your need to buy backpacks and hiking shoes in a 100 mile radius?
    🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Lol as if anything they are proposing could be better than what they aren't proposing. Okc4me is right.

Oh, and what is built here certainly won't set a precedent for what REI stores are built in OKC. What a ridiculous notion.
    I'm going to assume you got your words mixed up in that first sentence because it makes no sense when read as is.

You need to do your research and understand the history of this location. It has been a city park for years and home to volleyball courts. The process of selling it off has been pretty sketchy, causing uproar among the community. Furthermore, Tulsa is footing the bill for utility development of the lot. So If Tulsa is going to sell such a prime piece of property and invest $, then it deserves a top of the line development.

Do you really think the proposal couldn't be better? Honestly. Like in your eyes do those renderings look perfect. Because quite a few folks don't feel that way (it only passed city council 5-4)

These aren't my words, but explain perfectly what Tulsa deserves and should get out of this REI.

"Look no further than Denver for how REI can interact with a riverfront location and enhance a park/trails space. Of course REI there is in an old trolley barn and one of their flagship stores but still. I would only support this if it were just REI and maybe an adjacent restaurant or cafe. Cut out the outparcel buildings and cut the parking in half. Push REI and the restaurant closer to the bridge and preserve more of the 9 acres as park, like it's supposed to be. An REI that looks more like this with expansive river views would be pretty cool.

Can't get image codes to work - http://media.bizj.us/view/img/631775...1162-0-334.jpg

The Arkansas when it's flowing is actually much more scenic than the S Platte where REI is located in Denver. Denver is worse than Tulsa in not capitalizing on its river but the REI does a decent job of interacting with the kayak flume and the Starbucks has outdoor seating overlooking it.

The Denver REI is in a repurposed brick warehouse with 40 ft ceilings. You're not going to replicate that and while Tulsa has some similar vacant buildings they aren't by the river. But you can do something that resembles this one I.e. Brick facade, lots of windows facing the trail and river, heavily landscaped parking area and a cafe/coffee shop along the trail to engage users.

There is still a pending lawsuit over this that goes to trial in July so nothing will happening until at least later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What's your problem? Soonerfan is making excellent points that I agree with. Having trouble wrapping your mind around the thought someone might care about their city's aesthetic over your need to buy backpacks and hiking shoes in a 100 mile radius?
    ��
    Why did he have to take it to a level that wasn't even relevant to my OP? The aesthetics of Tulsa wasn't even in the realm of the point of my post. Think the cat is just looking for his dog in a fight and you barked. Both of y'all need to calm down.

I'm going to assume you got your words mixed up in that first sentence because it makes no sense when read as is.

You need to do your research and understand the history of this location. It has been a city park for years and home to volleyball courts. The process of selling it off has been pretty sketchy, causing uproar among the community. Furthermore, Tulsa is footing the bill for utility development of the lot. So If Tulsa is going to sell such a prime piece of property and invest $, then it deserves a top of the line development.

Do you really think the proposal couldn't be better? Honestly. Like in your eyes do those renderings look perfect. Because quite a few folks don't feel that way (it only passed city council 5-4)

These aren't my words, but explain perfectly what Tulsa deserves and should get out of this REI.

"Look no further than Denver for how REI can interact with a riverfront location and enhance a park/trails space. Of course REI there is in an old trolley barn and one of their flagship stores but still. I would only support this if it were just REI and maybe an adjacent restaurant or cafe. Cut out the outparcel buildings and cut the parking in half. Push REI and the restaurant closer to the bridge and preserve more of the 9 acres as park, like it's supposed to be. An REI that looks more like this with expansive river views would be pretty cool.

Can't get image codes to work - http://media.bizj.us/view/img/631775...1162-0-334.jpg

My point was the site plan could be much better than it is. 95% of the parking spaces in this development should be structured. Anything less than that is a failure and I'll be suriprised if any of it is structured. Residential should be included in this as well.

So when I see one pile of crap that looks better than another pile of crap, I still see crap.

Oh well. Anyways, back on topic. If all legal challenges go away than this could start by the end of the year. I work right next to the lot so I will keep everyone posted.

I need to change my name. Maybe soonerfan_nolongerin_okc

Default REI coming to Tulsa near Turkey Mountain

I had heard rumblings, but now it is official. Will be built in a new development just SW of the Turkey Mountain parking lot, about a mile west of where the City originally tried to get REI several years ago.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301714740.html

Article with some history on REI to Tulsa
    https://tulsaworld.com/business/loca..._medium=social

Default Re: REI coming to Tulsa near Turkey Mountain

That looks like a fabulous location for an REI. I do prefer the REI stores that are close to water and trails versus the ones in strip malls.

Default Re: REI coming to Tulsa near Turkey Mountain

Wish this was part of more of a mixed-use residential development instead of purely retail but it is a good location for REI near Turkey Mountain and river trails.

Thread Information