Widgets Magazine
Page 128 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2878123124125126127128129130131132133 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 3362

Thread: BOK Park Plaza

Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The bus station sign is now illuminated, both the sign itself and the glass sarcophagus.

"Sarcophagus." LOL

2. Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

Does anyone know the final height on this building ? Originally it was to be a few feet shorter than the Oklahoma Tower, but it looks much taller from about every angle. I can't see how the ground elevation could be that much different between the two buildings.

I think Oklahoma Tower's listed height at 434' may be incorrect, actually being a little shorter.

6. Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Does anyone know the final height on this building ? Originally it was to be a few feet shorter than the Oklahoma Tower, but it looks much taller from about every angle. I can't see how the ground elevation could be that much different between the two buildings.
    I agree. Every angle it looks noticeably taller.

This photo is from https://twitter.com/DowntownOKC.

I have been trying to figure out this traffic signal and now it seems it is actually setup for the Devon parking garage rather than for Main Street.

A traffic light for a parking garage? That's a first for me.

Doesn't that same garage have a second (primary) exit onto Devon's little Harvey strip to the east? Why do they need such extreme priority to get onto Hudson?

is it open to the public? I could see a benefit for public events, which would probably have more people entering from Hudson.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    is it open to the public? I could see a benefit for public events, which would probably have more people entering from Hudson.
    No, the Devon garage is not open to the public.

12. Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

Looks to me as if they might be signalizing both the garage AND Main Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Looks to me as if they might be signalizing both the garage AND Main Street.
    Yes, that's what I was trying to figure out.

We'll soon see.

Yesterday, the bank officially opened the ground-floor branch. From https://twitter.com/BankofOklahoma:

Took this today of the Main / Hudson intersection.

As you can see, the garages on either side of Hudson will have a light and there are also lights at Main.

It's a bit odd because as you head north on Hudson, you end up stopping at the garage lights which creates an absolutely huge intersection.

Why not encourage Devon employees to use Harvey? It is essentially their private driveway now, and has a normal intersection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yesterday, the bank officially opened the ground-floor branch. From https://twitter.com/BankofOklahoma:

Well, it's nice too see where some of my BOK's banking fees are going..........

That intersection/signal setup is completely absurd. This city is going to get worn out fast riding around in Devon's back pocket.

20. Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    That intersection/signal setup is completely absurd. This city is going to get worn out fast riding around in Devon's back pocket.
    It's interesting but I doubt it's going to greatly impact anything or anyone except during peak rush hours in and out of the garage who happen to use what is now, essentially, a side street.

As far as the city getting tired of Devon? Uh, no. Devon is too big a fish. Offset the traffic light with the huge number of high paying jobs, tax revenue, charitable donations, civic donations and the good far outweighs the bad.

Sometimes, you just make allowances.

Big cities/states don't let a small handful of company executives influence urban design, tax codes, legislative debates, etc. the way the brass at Devon and Continental do. It's actually the root of many of Oklahoma's and OKC's problems. Even though there is widespread support for addressing education issues, Harold Hamm still shows up to stare down legislators just so he can get his very narrow interests served. If making "allowances" for Devon means putting their interests ahead of good urban design then that's a bad move, precedent, and approach. Devon is not an expert on design and shouldn't have sway if it's a bad policy. Obviously, I'm speaking to far more than these traffic lights built for Devon employees in their parking garage district. Devon should have a seat at the table to make an argument for what this area looks like. However, in OKC too often, it's not a seat at the table, they're just handed the decision-making power outright.

22. Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

I am not trying to be argumentative but I am really interested in knowing where one of these companies made a truly important and long-term power play in CITY decision-making? And yes, this is only a traffic light. Thats done a lot of places there is a large corporate installation. In fact, I bet Tinker has a few.

Cities don’t pay for education funding

Blog Entries

What is the antonym of sycophants?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Big cities/states don't let a small handful of company executives influence urban design, tax codes, legislative debates, etc. the way the brass at Devon and Continental do. It's actually the root of many of Oklahoma's and OKC's problems. Even though there is widespread support for addressing education issues, Harold Hamm still shows up to stare down legislators just so he can get his very narrow interests served. If making "allowances" for Devon means putting their interests ahead of good urban design then that's a bad move, precedent, and approach. Devon is not an expert on design and shouldn't have sway if it's a bad policy. Obviously, I'm speaking to far more than these traffic lights built for Devon employees in their parking garage district. Devon should have a seat at the table to make an argument for what this area looks like. However, in OKC too often, it's not a seat at the table, they're just handed the decision-making power outright.
    That’s actually how most if not all cities function. He who holds the gold makes the rules.

Thread Information