Widgets Magazine

Thread: Hertz Call Center - NW Expressway

1. Northwest OKC Hertz Call Center - NW Expressway

I received a sale flyer for this property in my email inbox yesterday. Is Hertz still located here or are they vacating?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hertz Call Center - NW Expressway.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	18513  

2. Default Re: Hertz Call Center - NW Expressway

My wife still keeps in touch with a couple people that work there. I'll have her ask.

Default Re: Hertz Call Center - NW Expressway

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I received a sale flyer for this property in my email inbox yesterday. Is Hertz still located here or are they vacating?
    A lot of the old timers have taken a buyout for the end of this year. Not much left in that building.

Maybe they can sell it to Waffle House for a new HQ ? lol

This looks like a sale/leaseback where Hertz gets money in the transaction and then remains as a tenant.

6. Default Re: Hertz Call Center - NW Expressway

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    A lot of the old timers have taken a buyout for the end of this year. Not much left in that building.
    They've done that every few years forever. They don't really downsize much if at all. They just refill the positions with newbies. My wife got almost 1 1/2 years full pay plus insurance when she took an early out about 15 years ago.

The 2nd page of the OM mentions Hertz being open to leasing 20-30k of the space long-term after the sale. I think they are just trying to relieve themselves of an asset that they aren’t fully utilizing.

Buddy who used to work there talked to buddy that still does. As the fine gents have mentioned upthread, Hertz is doing their regular buyout and downsize effort. This time it appears they are trying to get almost all the way out of this complex. I think they still have people out by Quail Springs, and not much else.

9. Default Re: Hertz Call Center - NW Expressway

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Buddy who used to work there talked to buddy that still does. As the fine gents have mentioned upthread, Hertz is doing their regular buyout and downsize effort. This time it appears they are trying to get almost all the way out of this complex. I think they still have people out by Quail Springs, and not much else.
    That's pretty close. One of my wife's contacts who still works there just sat down at our Friday night spot. She works at Quail and says they're going to early out a bunch and cram more people in Quail and get NW Exp as small as possible. But if history repeats itself they'll end up hiring a bunch and need more space on NW Exp.

10. Default Re: Hertz Call Center - NW Expressway

flexibility
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Besides 5601 NW Expressway, the only other place in town for Hertz employees is at the airport and maybe an HLE location and used car sales. They sold the RAC location to Costco a few years back.
    I don't think it will be too long until they will be completely in Estero.

How many jobs at their peak were in OKC? What's the current pay for entry level EEs and what's the pay scale for their first level managers?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    How many jobs at their peak were in OKC? What's the current pay for entry level EEs and what's the pay scale for their first level managers?
    In 1985, the Data Center on NWX, had approximately 1,400 ( with about 250 IBM mainframe and system programmers). It also had about 40 programmers at the Indy Center ( on Independence Street over by Baptist (these were moved to the Data Center in 1987) and I'm not sure about the personnel count at the Reservation Center on North Penn. But I'm sure in the hundreds. The Data Center was Hertz Corporation Rent - A - Car HQ. At this time the Hertz HQ was at 660 Madison Ave in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    In 1985, the Data Center on NWX, had approximately 1,400 ( with about 250 IBM mainframe and system programmers). It also had about 40 programmers at the Indy Center ( on Independence Street over by Baptist (these were moved to the Data Center in 1987) and I'm not sure about the personnel count at the Reservation Center on North Penn. But I'm sure in the hundreds. The Data Center was Hertz Corporation Rent - A - Car HQ. At this time the Hertz HQ was at 660 Madison Ave in NYC.
    Wasn't North Penn more of the 'data center'? I know Loves had cold feet for years about buying it because it required a huge investment to turn it from a concrete bunker to an everyday office building.

15. Default Re: Hertz Call Center - NW Expressway

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Wasn't North Penn more of the 'data center'? I know Loves had cold feet for years about buying it because it required a huge investment to turn it from a concrete bunker to an everyday office building.
    My current wife and an ex-wife (pure coincidence) both worked at Hertz for a combined 50+ years. NW Exp was the Data Center. Penn was the Call Center. First wife was in DRB (Daily Reports Bureau) at NW Exp for her entire 30ish years. My current wife was in Vehicle Recovery at NW Exp then the department moved to the Chase bank building at 63rd and NWExp, then to Quail before she left at 22 years.

I was in IT (IBM Mainframe) for 23 years. My wife worked there for 43 years, 3 months and 10 days. And she retired a couple years ago at 63 yrs old.

North Penn was the Reservation center, but with the internet and online self booking, that dried up and about half a floor was relocated to the Data Center.

I seriously doubt Hertz will have much of a presence in a couple years.

Fun Fact - The Reservation center was relocated around 1970 to OKC due to Regulations that resulted in 'phone charges by the mile'. That's why a lot of res centers are in the central states, like American Airlines in Tulsa, Hertz in OKC, also a hotel chain had one in OKC at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Funny, I heard that Hertz was the delay in changing hands. Something about the building was loaded with old technology and personal client info that would have an enormous cost to remove it safely and legally. Seems Love's bought the building with a 3, or 5 year leaseback to Hertz. And the leaseback had an incredible escalator on rent the last 2 years as motivation to Hertz to clear out. Something like $1 million the first year, $6 million in year 4 and $12 million in year 5. Those $ numbers are all made up, and just being used as an example.

I worked for CDI (who worked for IBM, who worked for Hertz as a result of Hertz outsourcing their IT). Started in 2009, left in 2013, and the data center on NW Expwy was the main data center, had tons of HP equipment in it, some very very old. The res center on Penn was their call center and disaster recovery (or business continuity, as it's called now) site and could theoretically take over all processing if the data center was destroyed. Never tested it while I was there, although a few applications did run from the res center once in a while. All of Hertz was using older hardware, easily 5-10 years past their prime. No idea what it's like now, though, but I suspect it's still not all current tech (I believe their main reservation code was (and may still be) written in COBOL).

Thread Information