Widgets Magazine

Thread: BOK Park Plaza

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: 499 Sheridan

When I worked at Leadership Square in the dead 1980's, there was enough parking. But of course, we had the massive Galleria parking lot which is now the site of Devon; and office vacancy rates were high.

But even so, there were tons of surface lots everywhere. Because I had to pay for my own parking and spent tons of time out of the office, I'd usually just park on a side street or surface lot and walk a couple of blocks. That's not an option any more.

I really think this parking crunch is a pretty new development and the City did see it coming, as they commissioned a parking study several years ago. As it is, they put up the new Main Street Garage and the place was full they day they opened it.

The bottom line is that right now and for the foreseeable future, if you want to build new office space you have to build an ample garage as well, otherwise you will have no place for the new workers to park.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    When I worked at Leadership Square in the dead 1980's, there was enough parking. But of course, we had the massive Galleria parking lot which is now the site of Devon; and office vacancy rates were high.

But even so, there were tons of surface lots everywhere. Because I had to pay for my own parking and spent tons of time out of the office, I'd usually just park on a side street or surface lot and walk a couple of blocks. That's not an option any more.

I really think this parking crunch is a pretty new development and the City did see it coming, as they commissioned a parking study several years ago. As it is, they put up the new Main Street Garage and the place was full they day they opened it.

The bottom line is that right now and for the foreseeable future, if you want to build new office space you have to build an ample garage as well, otherwise you will have no place for the new workers to park.
    And that won't change until there are a lot more residential downtown and prices are affordable to the average corporate worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I don't know much about the engineering involved, but is building at least a portion of these garages underground not an option? Is the soil/water table really the issue here, or is it primarily a cost thing?

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I don't know much about the engineering involved, but is building at least a portion of these garages underground not an option? Is the soil/water table really the issue here, or is it primarily a cost thing?
    It's just a cost thing. There are underground garages and of course other other underground structures all throughout downtown.

Thread Information