finish=2017
    height=433 ft. / 27 floors
    sq. feet=692,716
    acreage=2.7
    Information & Latest News

Links

County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow21.jpg 
Views:	1546 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	9839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow20.jpg 
Views:	1302 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	9840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow19.jpg 
Views:	1433 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	9841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow18.jpg 
Views:	2331 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	9842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow17.jpg 
Views:	1397 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	9843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow16.jpg 
Views:	1679 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	9844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow15.jpg 
Views:	1660 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	9845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow14.jpg 
Views:	1263 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	9846  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow13.jpg 
Views:	1817 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	9847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow12.jpg 
Views:	1351 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	9848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow11.jpg 
Views:	1164 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	9849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow10.jpg 
Views:	1316 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	9850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow9.jpg 
Views:	2069 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	9851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow8.jpg 
Views:	1114 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	9852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow7.jpg 
Views:	1730 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	9853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow6.jpg 
Views:	1217 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	9854  

Name:	hinesnow5.jpg 
Views:	1030 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	9855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow4.jpg 
Views:	1146 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	9856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow3.jpg 
Views:	4068 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	9857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow2.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	9858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnow1.jpg 
Views:	3067 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	9859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnewest23A - Copy.jpg 
Views:	1304 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	9860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnewest3A - Copy.jpg 
Views:	1054 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	9861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnewest2A - Copy.jpg 
Views:	1064 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	9862  

Name:	hinesnewest1A - Copy.jpg 
Views:	1083 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	9863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnewest20 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	1115 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	9864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnewest19.jpg 
Views:	904 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	9865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnewest18.jpg 
Views:	1615 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	9866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnewest17.jpg 
Views:	1177 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	9867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnewest16.jpg 
Views:	1073 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	9868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnewest15.jpg 
Views:	2916 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	9869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnewest14.jpg 
Views:	1093 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	9870  

Name:	hinesnewest12.jpg 
Views:	2210 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	9871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinesnewest11.jpg 
Views:	1392 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	9872  

Default Re: 499 Sheridan

Top seems to have a crown hopefully they will have L.E.Ds. Like the inlets of Devon!

Have they said if the garages have the possibility for either expansion of the garage, or better, a building on top of the structure?

BTW, you can see the skybridges are going to look like the existing one that connects Devon's garden wing to the auditorium:

Looks like the plan is to have some basic lighting in the crown:

The tower will include a lighting strategy at the top two bays of the crown curtain wall module (approximately 28’) to highlight the presence of the tower during evening and early morning hours. The lighting is designed to have two levels of brightness. The brightest light will occur within the 1 foot 4 inch space between the primary vertical expression and the secondary vertical accent tube, creating slots of light that run the perimeter of the taller volume of the crown. A more subtle light will be cast from the remainder of the wall in the 28’-0” lighting zone. The lighting strategy will further enhance the experience of the nighttime skyline.

6. Default Re: 499 Sheridan

This area quickly becoming akin to Rosslyn in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by tpg4635 View Post
    Have they said if the garages have the possibility for either expansion of the garage, or better, a building on top of the structure?
    There is nothing to indicate the garages would be expandable.

In fact, in the John Pickard interview he said that the 9 story garages are as about as tall as you can make them and still be practical, otherwise you are 'driving to heaven".

True! no fun parking on the top floor. Some comments have said go down, but OKLAHOMA..........the land of clay and high water tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is nothing to indicate the garages would be expandable.

In fact, in the John Pickard interview he said that the 9 story garages are as about as tall as you can make them and still be practical, otherwise you are 'driving to heaven".
    That interview frustrates me more than the building itself, from it he makes it sound like three sides will be largely fronted by retail and be porous entrances for urban design. At least call a spade a spade, only two of the sides have even close to half the frontage being retail and even those are broken up by the grand (overly wide) pedestrian entrance/lobby out to the garden on one side and the garage entry/exit on the other. This building does not respect urban design as was tried to be indicated, not sure if it was a slip but he mentions something like paying tribute to Devon tower is the first priority (which I believe) , it also looks like the second priority is giving a good view of the gardens is the second (which ironically also should give it horrible glare/lighting in the mornings)

Regarding the garages, one way to deal with the number of levels is to put a good number below ground.

That way you enter and exit in the middle and can either go up or down.

Interestingly, there is zero below-grade parking in this project.

It looks like a box. Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Regarding the garages, one way to deal with the number of levels is to put a good number below ground.

That way you enter and exit in the middle and can either go up or down.

Interestingly, there is zero below-grade parking in this project.
    Agree, was really hoping to see underground parking for this project.

I don't mind the box. The parking garages will be ugly though.

It would be fairly easy to make this project into a total home run.

1) Eliminate the angle of the building so that you can keep the Hotel Black.
    2) Take out the back half of the Motor Hotel and incorporate it into the new building. Sort of like the Braniff building. Kinda. Convert the original half to luxury housing with ground level retail.
    3) On Main Street, recreate the original storefronts for your retail space. They're going to have to tear down those buildings to put in their parking garage, but there's no reason they can't make the corner of Main and Hudson look like the Carpenter Square Theater again. Much better than the sides of the Devon garage that currently lines Hudson.
    4) Build the garages study enough so that in the future a few levels of housing can be placed on top. People don't want to drive up 9 levels to park, but that doesn't mean you can't put 4 or 5 levels of nice expensive apartments with a view of the Myriad Gardens on top. Don't even have to do it now. Just build it so you can do it later.
    5) Incorporate some of your west parking garage into the base of your tower. This raises the tower up another 5 levels or so, so most of the offices will still have a great view of the park. That takes care of any lost parking spaces as a result of keeping the Hotel Black and the front of the Motor Hotel. The building will also be like 50 feet taller so that soondoc will shut the hell up.
    6) Make the ground floor design of the garage on Sheridan look similar to the old bus station.
    7) Make a space on Sheridan for the Lunch Box to come back.

If they did half of those things, it would go a long way towards making people happy. If they did all of them, people would be ecstatic. And some of them should actually be really easy and not that expensive.

Edit: These changes would also be something that would be worth allocating TIF funding to get.

Picture #2 above makes 499 look pretty small in comparison to Devon. The building doesn't look that impressive. Need to add some height or it will be hidden from several angles.

15. Default Re: 499 Sheridan

The retail spaces in the garages were clearly an afterthought. At 20' deep, they are barely large enough for pop-up shops.

WOW....a short glass box, how original and exciting!! An Architectural gem for sure, something to be proud to have.

It's bland and destroys so much of our city for parking and a glass box. How disappointing!

Once again, this isn't terrible it just isn't special. Most cities have a building or two that looks like this in their downtowns. Major cities like Dallas and Houston have plenty of these structures in their suburban areas. I would like this a lot better if it were ten floors higher so it would actually make an impact on the skyline. It is tall enough to be noticeable as is but it will be hidden from many angles.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    I don't mind the box. The parking garages will be ugly though.

It would be fairly easy to make this project into a total home run.

1) Eliminate the angle of the building so that you can keep the Hotel Black.
    2) Take out the back half of the Motor Hotel and incorporate it into the new building. Sort of like the Braniff building. Kinda. Convert the original half to luxury housing with ground level retail.
    3) On Main Street, recreate the original storefronts for your retail space. They're going to have to tear down those buildings to put in their parking garage, but there's no reason they can't make the corner of Main and Hudson look like the Carpenter Square Theater again. Much better than the sides of the Devon garage that currently lines Hudson.
    4) Build the garages study enough so that in the future a few levels of housing can be placed on top. People don't want to drive up 9 levels to park, but that doesn't mean you can't put 4 or 5 levels of nice expensive apartments with a view of the Myriad Gardens on top. Don't even have to do it now. Just build it so you can do it later.
    5) Incorporate some of your west parking garage into the base of your tower. This raises the tower up another 5 levels or so, so most of the offices will still have a great view of the park. That takes care of any lost parking spaces as a result of keeping the Hotel Black and the front of the Motor Hotel. The building will also be like 50 feet taller so that soondoc will shut the hell up.
    6) Make the ground floor design of the garage on Sheridan look similar to the old bus station.
    7) Make a space on Sheridan for the Lunch Box to come back.

If they did half of those things, it would go a long way towards making people happy. If they did all of them, people would be ecstatic. And some of them should actually be really easy and not that expensive.

Edit: These changes would also be something that would be worth allocating TIF funding to get.
    Quote of the day. Maybe it won't be a mid rise now.....

20. Default Re: 499 Sheridan

Shhh...he hasn't found this thread yet. Supports my theory that he's actually a bot.

I hate to be that guy, but I feel like all the guys trumpeting the "urban design" horn are ignoring the white elephant in the room.

Some of you may not remember but OKC experienced the worst terrorist attack in American history (at the time) with the bombing of the Murrah Federal Building. I think from that time on, OKC has no choice but to build "away" from the street in at least some capacity with major projects. Safety has to be first, & I know for a fact this played a giant part in the designs of the Devon tower. Since the company who is designing this building, and the same company who will be occupying this building, are the ones who also were behind the Devon tower you have to expect similar design standards. I'll sacrifice a little street activity for an increase in security.

I don't have much to add, but looking at everything again just kind of makes me sad. If this were proposed for a currently empty block, I'd be beyond excited.

I see nothing here that merits razing some of the little historical stock we have left downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but I feel like all the guys trumpeting the "urban design" horn are ignoring the white elephant in the room.

Some of you may not remember but OKC experienced the worst terrorist attack in American history (at the time) with the bombing of the Murrah Federal Building. I think from that time on, OKC has no choice but to build "away" from the street in at least some capacity with major projects. Safety has to be first, & I know for a fact this played a giant part in the designs of the Devon tower. Since the company who is designing this building, and the same company who will be occupying this building, are the ones who also were behind the Devon tower you have to expect similar design standards. I'll sacrifice a little street activity for an increase in security.
    You definitely have a point. I think about that every time I see the new federal building in Midtown. It's deplorable in terms of urban design but I know it was built that way for security reasons.

Is everyone familiar with buildings 14 and 15 on the Chesapeake campus? I wish someone would building a parking garage with offices surrounding it so it didn't obviously look like a parking garage. I wouldn't think it would be that hard, but it would cut down on the amount of spaces.

25. Default Re: 499 Sheridan

Definitely disappointed that we're giving up history for a glass shoebox....but it's angled...ooooooo sarcasm.

Thread Information