Widgets Magazine
Page 129 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2979124125126127128129130131132133134 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 3362

Thread: BOK Park Plaza

Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I am not trying to be argumentative but I am really interested in knowing where one of these companies made a truly important and long-term power play in CITY decision-making? And yes, this is only a traffic light. Thats done a lot of places there is a large corporate installation. In fact, I bet Tinker has a few.
    Paycom has 3 police officers Monday through Friday directing traffic at their HQ during rush hour. They stop the westbound traffic on the service road to let their employees out. Then they direct traffic at JKT and Rockwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Paycom has 3 police officers Monday through Friday directing traffic at their HQ during rush hour. They stop the westbound traffic on the service road to let their employees out. Then they direct traffic at JKT and Rockwell.
    How is that handled? Are they really on-duty OKCPD officers or security guys or off-duty cops? Does Paycom write a check to OKCPD for this or does OKCPD do it out of the kindness of their hearts? Can anybody rent the OKCPD for their business? Anybody know any details? This kind of thing has always seemed weird to me...

Blog Entries

Off duty officers do traffic all over. There are always officers at various churches, etc. when services let out.

4. Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

^^^^^^^^^
    Also all kinds of other events. When you see an OCPD officer at a Thunder game on the court, they are off-duty. When you see one in the lobby of an event at the Civic Center, they are off-duty. When you see one standing on the steps of Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse on a big game night, they are off-duty. When you see one working the gate at a fundraiser, off-duty. OCPD allows their officers to be hired in uniform for off-duty work with certain restrictions. It is considered a perk of being an officer and a way for them to generate additional income. There are certain officers who coordinate this, which I assume means there is some sort of internal reporting (but don't know for sure). The going rate used to be about $50/hr but that may have changed. It has been quite some time since I was involved with the hiring of off-duty officers for anything.

FWIW, I don't ever see OKC off duty officers doing traffic work, but I do see Sheriff's deputies. I assume they're off duty...

6. Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

Yes, sheriff's deputies also do off-duty work. There is a captain in the Sheriff's department who handles this. Same deal as OCPD, though their rate is less. Quite a few of the sheriff's deputies you see are reserve deputies. OCPD has a higher rate than off-duty deputies. Lower Bricktown management uses sheriff's deputies on weekend evenings to shoo along kids who are violating curfew, etc.

Thanks for the replies, didn't know they could wear their uniforms off-duty, makes more sense now.

Isn’t OHP the same way? I thought the construction companies usually pay OT for the cars sitting at construction zones..

9. Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

^^^^^^^
    I assumed those OHP troopers were off-duty but didn’t know for sure.

When I worked at McDonald's in high school in Edmond, we had two off duty police officers that worked off duty in full uniform on Firday and Saturdays. (Chip and Boyle I think). Never understood how that worked, being able to work armed, privately, in full Edmond PD uniform...

I would guess that their commission gives them their police powers 24/7, so they can enforce laws anytime they want. If someone wants to pay them to enforce those laws on their time, it shouldn’t be an issue as long as they follow all the same rules and regulations as if they are on city time.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    I would guess that their commission gives them their police powers 24/7, so they can enforce laws anytime they want. If someone wants to pay them to enforce those laws on their time, it shouldn’t be an issue as long as they follow all the same rules and regulations as if they are on city time.
    By law, all commissioned law enforcement officers in Oklahoma are authorized to enforce law violations, even off duty. Further, they are allowed to carry their weapons off duty if approved by the head of their agency. In addition, they are allowed by law, if allowed by their chief officer, to perform security work and other types of duties while off duty, and use their uniforms. And in departments that have take home car programs, they are allowed to use their patrol vehicle if authorized by their agency. Oklahoma City has such a program. In fact, in OKC, officers are allowed to use their patrol vehicle for personal purposes within the city limits of OKC. Even out of uniform. They can drive them to the store, the mall, to take their kids to school, to church...etc. (Or at least that was the policy a few years ago but I believe it is still the policy). The only condition on that was they were subject to being called to respond to emergency situations if necessary. The purpose of the program is to put more police cars on the street. It is effective. Instead of the cars being parked for the officers off duty days, they are out and about being seen and hopefully deterring crime. We have a few officers that attend the church I attend, and some now drive their patrol cars to church and park them up front. Just a deterrent to criminal activity.

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has a similar program. Except I don't believe they can use the car to go to the store/church/etc. But they can use their cars for private security work. All those OHP cars you see parked at road construction sites are off duty Troopers. They are paid by the contractors for those services. I even believe it is required in the construction contracts that the contractors have to hire off duty troopers to sit at the sites, lights running, as a safety measure.

Some may see this all as a misuse of taxpayer money, but it is a relatively inexpensive way for the cities and the state to have a larger law enforcement presence out and about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    Some may see this all as a misuse of taxpayer money, but it is a relatively inexpensive way for the cities and the state to have a larger law enforcement presence out and about.
    Our police are not paid well anyway. It is a good way for them to earn extra money.

This is the crazy huge intersection as you head north on Hudson at Main.

The car pictured on the right had actually stopped at the 2nd light (there is another light directly above where I was stopped here) and was in the middle of motorist purgatory before figuring out his/her mistake and just driving through the red light.

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    By law, all commissioned law enforcement officers in Oklahoma are authorized to enforce law violations, even off duty. Further, they are allowed to carry their weapons off duty if approved by the head of their agency. In addition, they are allowed by law, if allowed by their chief officer, to perform security work and other types of duties while off duty, and use their uniforms. And in departments that have take home car programs, they are allowed to use their patrol vehicle if authorized by their agency. Oklahoma City has such a program. In fact, in OKC, officers are allowed to use their patrol vehicle for personal purposes within the city limits of OKC. Even out of uniform. They can drive them to the store, the mall, to take their kids to school, to church...etc. (Or at least that was the policy a few years ago but I believe it is still the policy). The only condition on that was they were subject to being called to respond to emergency situations if necessary. The purpose of the program is to put more police cars on the street. It is effective. Instead of the cars being parked for the officers off duty days, they are out and about being seen and hopefully deterring crime. We have a few officers that attend the church I attend, and some now drive their patrol cars to church and park them up front. Just a deterrent to criminal activity.

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has a similar program. Except I don't believe they can use the car to go to the store/church/etc. But they can use their cars for private security work. All those OHP cars you see parked at road construction sites are off duty Troopers. They are paid by the contractors for those services. I even believe it is required in the construction contracts that the contractors have to hire off duty troopers to sit at the sites, lights running, as a safety measure.

For the record Paycom pays the police officers, doesn’t cost the taxpayers a dime.

16. Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

^^^^^^^
    I don't think yukong was trying to say otherwise; I'm guessing the "...some may see this all as a misuse of taxpayer money..." comment was referencing his/her own additional information regarding the car take-home program.

Bricktown3 Re: BOK Park Plaza

BOK logo is going up today on the building.

18. Default Re: BOK Park Plaza

There is a case (Stewart v. State, 1974 OK Cr 173)that says a off duty police officer working as private security has no more authority or power than that of a private citizen. The can do a citizen's arrest but have to follow the statutory requirements of that.

I have no issue with them working private security other than we the citizen's subsidizing it. They are using gov't equipment for free to do their side jobs. It is no different than if we let the parks grounds employees use the city mowers to run a lawn cutting service on the weekends. The last time I asked an officer friend of mine...they don't reimburse the city for the wear and tear or the gas on the patrol cars when they sit outside the bank for 8 hours running the a/c on their patrol cars.

FYI...starting salary for OCPD officer is $52972 ($25-$26 per hour)with lots of benefits. OCSO Deputies make less. Not worth it to me but not exactly low pay. They make $35-$50 hour on side jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    There is a case (Stewart v. State, 1974 OK Cr 173)that says a off duty police officer working as private security has no more authority or power than that of a private citizen. The can do a citizen's arrest but have to follow the statutory requirements of that.

I have no issue with them working private security other than we the citizen's subsidizing it. They are using gov't equipment for free to do their side jobs. It is no different than if we let the parks grounds employees use the city mowers to run a lawn cutting service on the weekends. The last time I asked an officer friend of mine...they don't reimburse the city for the wear and tear or the gas on the patrol cars when they sit outside the bank for 8 hours running the a/c on their patrol cars.

FYI...starting salary for OCPD officer is $52972 ($25-$26 per hour)with lots of benefits. OCSO Deputies make less. Not worth it to me but not exactly low pay. They make $35-$50 hour on side jobs.
    I believe the benefit is not in the authority power off duty, but the apparent increase in police presence as a deterrent to crime.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    For the record Paycom pays the police officers, doesn’t cost the taxpayers a dime.
    I was well aware of that fact. I was just making the point that some might see these programs as a waste of taxpayer money...it is in fact a good program that heightens police visibility. Thus a safer community.

You can see the 4 floors BOK occupies (24-27) directly below their newly installed sign.

Blog Entries

BOK towers 27 stories; they occupy the one floor below their signage (24th), the floor of the signage (25th) and the two top floor above that (26th & 27th) floors. Got it?

Any speculation on potential tenants? Would be a good opportunity to grab a relocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    BOK towers 27 stories; they occupy the one floor below their signage (24th), the floor of the signage (25th) and the two top floor above that (26th & 27th) floors. Got it?
    No, the top 3 'stories' are just mechanical and the crown.

BOK occupies the first habitable floor below the sign (the 27th) and the three below that. You can see the shades are partially open on those 4 floors, as they are the only tenant in the building. The also have a small branch on the ground floor.

Thread Information