Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Boulevard

Default Re: OKC Boulevard

The problem isn’t enforcement, at least not fully. The problem is that they designed the road like NW Expressway and slapped a ridiculous 25 mph speed limit on it.

If you don’t want people going 50 on it, then don’t design it in a way that encourages people to go 50. Simple as that.

2. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

^^^^^^^^^^
    This, 100%

3. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

Yeah.... I find that excuse inexcusable.... Part of being a responsible driver is reading and obeying the posted speed limits... I have no problem with it and I'm no superhuman... Just a simple human like everyone else.

They've also staggered those speed limits fairly well through there now and the 25 doesn't begin until just before Oklahoma... So they blew through 3 other speed zones before they passed me in the 25.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Yeah.... I find that excuse inexcusable.... Part of being a responsible driver is reading and obeying the posted speed limits... I have no problem with it and I'm no superhuman... Just a simple human like everyone else.

They've also staggered those speed limits fairly well through there now and the 25 doesn't begin until just before Oklahoma... So they blew through 3 other speed zones before they passed me in the 25.
    Sure on the individual level as a driver. Doesn't mean people won't do it in mass(police going to catch everyone?) The boulevard isn't fully open yet and its a problem. Eventually the city will cave raise the speed limit 5 mph, then cave again and be another 5 mph.

5. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Sure on the individual level as a driver. Doesn't mean people won't do it in mass(police going to catch everyone?) The boulevard isn't fully open yet and its a problem. Eventually the city will cave raise the speed limit 5 mph, then cave again and be another 5 mph.
    It's not just the Boulevard where it's a problem.... I've had people pass me doing 60+ on Walker and Western where the posted limit is 40.... Do those streets feel like they're designed to drive 60 on?

Really, as long as it's not a safety issue (street designed for high speed, no pedestrians, etc.) go whatever you feel is safe and I'll mind my own business. It's like left lane hogs doing exactly the speed limit. Just get over, if I want to risk going faster and getting caught let me. Your job is to operate your vehicle in accordance to the law, it's not to enforce the law. If others want to try their luck in operating outside of the law, just let it go.

The cops in Oklahoma focus way too much on speeders so I laugh whenever someone complains the police aren’t doing enough to nab speeders. If people doing 60+ in a 25 zone bother you, you best stay way far away from Bay Area, LA and NYC areas. I wish people drove faster in OKC like they do here. I don’t care what the posted limit is on the Boulevard the proper speed is 60MPH and the police DO enforce it. I’ve gotten a nice ticket from them for it before. They are taking full advantage of it. They even had someone behind me pulled over and when I left they had another person in front of me pulled over. Non sense.

No one will slow down on this Boulevard unless the design of it changes and it’s irresponsible of the city or OkDOT to post inappropriate speed limits because that’s puts pedestrians at risk. Even is DT LA you have people driving 50-60 at times and pedestrians are used to it. Maybe not so much in OKC and a real risk can be presented. The cops don’t need to be pulling people over. The city needs to redesign the Boulevard to be pedestrian friendly then if people want to drive like idiots then go for them.

As long as we prosecute close calls as attempted homicide and pedestrian deaths as murder. Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    As long as we prosecute close calls as attempted homicide and pedestrian deaths as murder. Sure.
    That sure isn’t a hyperbole at all.

Naw, I'm going to side with Jerry here. This forum has seen the speeding discussion over and over and over and over and over again, and each time it boils down to "if I'm willing to accept the consequences, I should be able to do it". Can't change the terms now, you can't pick and choose the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That sure isn’t a hyperbole at all.
    I had a friend put in a wheelchair for two years because a car going forty over plowed him down while he was riding his bicycle. It's not hyperbole.

I watched an ahole on classen yesterday morning in a white Challenger pushing up against the back tire of a bicycle on the way to work in the morning, because he was impatient trying to get from 50th to downtown. Keep in mind there are multiple schools along this strech with children crossing the street. He got so frustrated he finally swerved over into the next lane, Which was occupied by me at the time. Luckily I managed to avoid getting killed by this ahole since I could maneuver my motorcycle between the cars. So no, not hyperbole. I wonder if the make my day laws would have allowed me to fire back in self defense? I mean, attempted muder with a deadly weapon doesn't have to be a gun.

I also find that people that drive this way tend to have higher rates of uninsured, since they have so many tickets and can't afford insurance thanks to thier overpriced car.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I had a friend put in a wheelchair for two years because a car going forty over plowed him down while he was riding his bicycle. It's not hyperbole.

I watched an ahole on classen yesterday morning in a white Challenger pushing up against the back tire of a bicycle on the way to work in the morning, because he was impatient trying to get from 50th to downtown. Keep in mind there are multiple schools along this strech with children crossing the street. He got so frustrated he finally swerved over into the next lane, Which was occupied by me at the time. Luckily I managed to avoid getting killed by this ahole since I could maneuver my motorcycle between the cars. So no, not hyperbole. I wonder if the make my day laws would have allowed me to fire back in self defense? I mean, attempted muder with a deadly weapon doesn't have to be a gun.
    I am sorry to hear about your friend and yes that guy who did that to that biker is a f@cking asshole and lucky he got away from that biker. Some of those cyclists don’t play. I cycle every single day and a lot of times from Hollywood, onto the valley following the orange line pathway to Calabasas then onto pch via lv/Malibu Canyon rd to Santa Monica which is pretty nice ride and I have encountered my fair share of assholes. It makes me mad and I have gotten into fist fights many times including one last week. This isn’t an issue I take lightly.

However be it someone driving stupid at unreasonable speeds making a dumb mistake getting a murder charge which would ruin their life(yes I’m aware they ruined someone else’s) is a bit much. It’s a sh!tty thing and the world ain’t fair, but I think most people would have massive regret and there is manslaughter charges for a reason. Murder would be they intended to kill someone, no? I’m honestly asking because I’m not well educated in law terminology and definitions.

About your incident with the charger, I can’t say I wouldn’t have stood behind you if you couple holes in that guy’s car provided there were no kids or passengers. I don’t think he’ll sit around and wait for the police after doing what you said he did. He’ll think twice before doing something stupid like that. At the very least a mirror slap at the next light would have been my course of action.

14. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

People with your lack of respect for traffic laws don’t deserve the privilege of being allowed to operate a motor vehicle Panda.

People with your lack of respect for traffic laws don’t deserve the privilege of being allowed to operate a motor vehicle Panda.
    Lol okay

This.

PluPlan, you finally crossed a line for me when you indicated that homicide by driving is essentially worthwhile. That's absurd. Too many people aren't held responsible for causing pedestrian/bicycle death when it is clearly their responsibility. You accept that hefty responsibility when you get your driver's license. Too many people don't keep that on their mind while driving.

Here's just one of many stories where similar excuses are made, and these excuses need to stop: https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/03/...-in-crosswalk/

17. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    PluPlan, you finally crossed a line for me when you indicated that homicide by driving is essentially worthwhile. That's absurd. Too many people aren't held responsible for causing pedestrian/bicycle death when it is clearly their responsibility. You accept that hefty responsibility when you get your driver's license. Too many people don't keep that on their mind while driving.
    Too many people think they are above the traffic laws. I think it's time we make the fines for breaking them stiffer. Require repeat offenders and excessive speeders to retake their driving tests and attend driving schools.

18. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

It's not just the Boulevard where it's a problem.... I've had people pass me doing 60+ on Walker and Western where the posted limit is 40.... Do those streets feel like they're designed to drive 60 on?
    Design obviously doesn't solve all problems, but when a ramp from an interstate leads to a road that looks like it could be easily be used for a drag strip, we're kind of setting ourselves up for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    This.

Here's just one of many stories where similar excuses are made, and these excuses need to stop: https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/03/...-in-crosswalk/
    Whatever. I didn’t say that but I couldn’t give two sh!ts what some posters on an online forum think so I’m not going to defend myself. Think whatever you’d like.

Too many people think they are above the traffic laws. I think it's time we make the fines for breaking them stiffer. Require repeat offenders and excessive speeders to retake their driving tests and attend driving schools.
    That ain’t ever happening but have fun dreaming.

22. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

Design obviously doesn't solve all problems, but when a ramp from an interstate leads to a road that looks like it could be easily be used for a drag strip, we're kind of setting ourselves up for failure.
    Yep. Not advocating raising the limit or not ticketing speeders, but I’m hoping the moment ODOT hands their irresponsibly-designed boulevard over to the City that the City immediately begins exploring design interventions which will calm traffic before it lands in pedestrian-heavy areas. Actually, I’m hopeful they are ALREADY exploring them.

Speed limit signs are the worst way to control the speed of cars. The road itself tells a driver how fast to go. If people are driving faster than you want them to, it’s because you’ve designed the road wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Whatever. I didn’t say that but I couldn’t give two sh!ts what some posters on an online forum think so I’m not going to defend myself. Think whatever you’d like.
    I was really hoping you would re-read what you wrote, realize how far over the line it was, and apologize saying you were drunk or something. Instead you're doubling down. Let's go ahead and review what you did say.

"However be it someone driving stupid at unreasonable speeds making a dumb mistake getting a murder charge which would ruin their life(yes I’m aware they ruined someone else’s) is a bit much."

You said, very clearly, that you think someone being held responsible for taking a life, with the associated ripple effects through friends and family, would be a bit much. You think it's just a 'mistake', and paying the penalty for their actions is too much to expect. You think "massive regret" is punishment enough. In your next post, you double down AGAIN and say increased penalties are never going to happen, it's a dream.

I'm REALLY hoping you are still drunk, or at the very least hungover, and are going to eventually post something along the lines of "Holy **** guys, I can't believe I said that, I'm really sorry". But, as you say..."That ain’t ever happening but have fun dreaming. "

For what it is worth, you asked about the legal definition of murder, something easily accessed. It's the unlawful killing of another human being without justification or valid excuse. There are, of course, different "flavors", but intent is part of the definition on some of them, not all (which is why there is a difference between murder and premeditated murder, first degree specifically says with or without premeditation). Murder can in fact be applied to someone who did not actually do the killing. Interestingly, the language of at least one of the definitions refers to killing someone who was just in the way. I'm not really sure how far "I didn't mean to do it, and I have massive regret about it, but I'm going to speed on my way home from this trial" would really take someone attempting to defend killing because they felt traffic laws were just an inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Yep. Not advocating raising the limit or not ticketing speeders, but I’m hoping the moment ODOT hands their irresponsibly-designed boulevard over to the City that the City immediately begins exploring design interventions which will calm traffic before it lands in pedestrian-heavy areas. Actually, I’m hopeful they are ALREADY exploring them.

Speed limit signs are the worst way to control the speed of cars. The road itself tells a driver how fast to go. If people are driving faster than you want them to, it’s because you’ve designed the road wrong.

Thread Information