Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Outlets

Default Re: Outlet Shoppes what next?

Wasn't Penn Square planning an expansion that was going to be a high end wing? Maybe Saks is going to be the anchor? lol j/k

Quote Originally Posted by NWOKCGuy View Post
    Wasn't Penn Square planning an expansion that was going to be a high end wing? Maybe Saks is going to be the anchor? lol j/k
    That would be great if it were so but I highly doubt it. I really do wish they would move a bit upmarket by kicking out some bottom-end tenants and bringing up mid to high end ones.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    One thing about the outlet mall is many of the brands that have stores there are quite a bit higher end than what's at the other OKC malls. Most other cities the size of OKC have very successful malls or lifestyle centers with full-line, non-outlet versions of many of the stores that are there. Do you think it was a mistake building the outlet mall out at I-40 and Rockwell rather than closer to Nichols Hills or Edmond?
    If anything, it might have been smart to have built the outlet near Guthrie and let it suck up the dense suburban cashflow and put Quail out of its misery, but Yukon/Mustang is literally exploding with people and it's super close to the airport. I still think Saks Off 5th failed because it wasn't a good store and is more of an anomaly than a referendum. I bet Nordstrom Rack is doing much better, because it's actually a good place to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    If anything, it might have been smart to have built the outlet near Guthrie and let it suck up the dense suburban cashflow and put Quail out of its misery, but Yukon/Mustang is literally exploding with people and it's super close to the airport. I still think Saks Off 5th failed because it wasn't a good store and is more of an anomaly than a referendum. I bet Nordstrom Rack is doing much better, because it's actually a good place to shop.
    "Put Quail out of its misery"? I may not be the best judge of things since I haven't been inside an OKC mall in at least two years, but Quail doesn't look to be struggling at all ... at least from my perspective. I've heard great things about Von Maur and the mall seems busy when I drive by. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    In all the cities I have been in or lived in I don't think I have ever seen an outlet mall as close to the city as the one in OKC, they are usually 20 or so miles outside of town. Not sure why, but that is my observation.
    Grapevine Mills and Allen Premium outlets are very much in the DFW urbanized area.

This may have been true at one point, but not so much now.

"Put Quail out of its misery" LOL! That's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    "Put Quail out of its misery" LOL! That's a good one.
    When the Outlet was built in 2008, Quail was a pretty crappy mall and easily could have been put in serious trouble by an Outlet mall so close by. Not so much the case today.

8. Default Re: Outlet Shoppes what next?

Pretty sure it opened up in August 2011, IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Pretty sure it opened up in August 2011, IIRC
    Right, dates mixed, but either way I'd definitely argue that it was in decline until the Von Maur announcement was made. A bright shiny outlet next door would've definitely hurt.

When the Outlet was built in 2008, Quail was a pretty crappy mall and easily could have been put in serious trouble by an Outlet mall so close by. Not so much the case today.
    I personally wouldn't have classified it as crappy, but it isn't the best. The same can still be said today. That mall needs a major upgrade and I agree with you the outlet mall would have done a number on it.

I think Quail has hit rock bottom and is on its way back up, but a couple of years ago it was showing significant signs of decline. GGP was a mistake away from having a Crossroads on their hand. Glad to see it coming back though. I think Tuscana, if it would have been built, would have been a bigger threat to QSM. It would have been a truly upscale lifestyle center and would have possibly even hurt Penn Square.

Quote Originally Posted by theanvil View Post
    "Put Quail out of its misery"? I may not be the best judge of things since I haven't been inside an OKC mall in at least two years, but Quail doesn't look to be struggling at all ... at least from my perspective. I've heard great things about Von Maur and the mall seems busy when I drive by. Am I missing something?
    Pretty much this, Quail has been trying to get rid of some of the lower end tenants and there are worse malls in Oklahoma than Quail, (I'm pointing at you Promenade Mall in Tulsa)

I don't remember hearing about Tuscana. Can you fill me in on what and were it was and never was.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I don't remember hearing about Tuscana. Can you fill me in on what and were it was and never was.
    Sorry if this angers or saddens you, but this is what was to be.

Were was it to be located at?

Ok, now I can see the small print. Shame it didn't happen.

Here's a couple more:

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Ok, now I can see the small print. Shame it didn't happen.
    Yeah. Directly north of Quail Springs.

There is still a large sea of surface parking I'm not crazy about, but that could easily be developed later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    There is still a large sea of surface parking I'm not crazy about, but that could easily be developed later on.
    I think the surface parking is fine for that kind of development and its similar to how I've seen them in most cities. Most of the retail would be facing the walkable area in the center.

My wife and I lived in the apartment complex that is in the area now. They sold us on the possibility of it being built up but I never knew there were any actual plans for the area. Why did it not happen?

Quote Originally Posted by camrun91 View Post
    My wife and I lived in the apartment complex that is in the area now. They sold us on the possibility of it being built up but I never knew there were any actual plans for the area. Why did it not happen?
    It didn't happen because of the 2008 recession. Had the deal come six months or a year earlier the lifestyle center would probably be there as we speak.

Yeah, still sad Tusacana never happened. I understand why, but still sad.

This reminds me of Bee Cave, TX. Just outside of Austin by Lake Travis. Basically they have an outdoor mall that is the town center which include a library and other amenities as well as outlet shops. All the housing is built around the shpping center. It is actually really neat area with great shops and fun environment. Bee Cave, TX : Home

So I heard from an employee Saks is closing due to under performance. I sure hope that isn't true. If it is, that is bad news for future high end retail.

Thread Information