Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Outlets

Default Re: Outlet Shoppes

I can answer my own question. The express outlet opens today (10/8)

I think there's a lot of movement in outlet malls regardless. There has always been a perception that Tulsa is a better retail market but I doubt that's true. Oklahoma City is considerably larger than Tulsa, so even a small difference in average income is nullified by the greater numbers. In addition, Oklahoma City sits at the crossroads of I-40 and I-35, which makes the location better for non residents. OU and Thunder games bring people in from around the state and even other states. The fact that there are new stores coming as well makes that sound like one of those rumors that sounds worrisome unless you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I think there's a lot of movement in outlet malls regardless. There has always been a perception that Tulsa is a better retail market but I doubt that's true. Oklahoma City is considerably larger than Tulsa, so even a small difference in average income is nullified by the greater numbers. In addition, Oklahoma City sits at the crossroads of I-40 and I-35, which makes the location better for non residents. OU and Thunder games bring people in from around the state and even other states. The fact that there are new stores coming as well makes that sound like one of those rumors that sounds worrisome unless you think about it.
    I agree, and with all due respect to Kermotblue I am always a bit leery of hearsay like that. Definitely not the full story IMO.

I do hope that the mall exceeds expectations in Tulsa, but they are only a 2-3 hour drive from outlets in OKC and Branson. Their market will be very hemmed in, whereas the OKC outlet has all of Western OK and the TX panhandle all to itself.

There is also evidence that OKC is handling this current downturn in oil prices much better than Tulsa.

This is from the most recent report of the Economic Development Trust:

Approximately 28,000 square feet of new space opened in November 2012 and another additional 25,000 square feet was opened in August 2014. For the period of August 2012 through July 2013, the mall saw sales totaling $130.1 million or $353 per sf. For the period August 2013 through July 2014, mall sales totaled $130.3 million. While the Saks store closed in January of 2015, the outlet mall sales from August 2014 through July 2015 totaled over $135 million, exceeding the sales target for the contract year by 3.1%

Blog Entries

Great to hear...we went the other night and there were not too many people there but it was also Columbus Day. The mall has a wide range of stores, it's easy to navigate and I think the outdoor setting and walkability makes it nice to stroll around.

Blog Entries

It kind of sucks to shop that outdoor setting around xmas, but it is what it is...

Anyone know of the date for Garage Burger Opening?

It looked like they might be open Saturday and we stopped by. We were greeted at the door asking if we had reservations and then were told they were having training, come on in, eat and drink for free but no inviting friends.

It was good. We'll be back.

I had a bison with green chilies, fries with grilled jalapenos and a draft beer of some kind. They have a lot of variety on the menu and they are close to home and work. Plus decent music, some booths with some privacy.

On the negative and one reason I shy from similar places, like the nearby Buffalo Wild Wings for instance, and so many current places built cheap, with unfinished ceilings, no acoustical treatments and thus comparatively noisy. Can't have a conversation with my wife without many "What?"s (I'm getting old.) Boomerang on 39th is our good basic burger go-to now. Head to head with this one sample, Boomerang is a better burger and I like their fries better too. But there's not much else to compare between the two.

I believe their regular opening was today.

It's all just a matter of personal taste and opinion, but I think Boomerang is a notch below Garage in selection, food quality and atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    It's all just a matter of personal taste and opinion, but I think Boomerang is a notch below Garage in selection, food quality and atmosphere.
    I said that on selection and atmosphere (other than noise.) No comparison, we agree. I like Boomarang's burger better so far, but I intend to work through other items on the menu at Garage. I'm sure there are some great items on there.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    It looked like they might be open Saturday and we stopped by. We were greeted at the door asking if we had reservations and then were told they were having training, come on in, eat and drink for free but no inviting friends.

It was good. We'll be back.

I had a bison with green chilies, fries with grilled jalapenos and a draft beer of some kind. They have a lot of variety on the menu and they are close to home and work. Plus decent music, some booths with some privacy.

On the negative and one reason I shy from similar places, like the nearby Buffalo Wild Wings for instance, and so many current places built cheap, with unfinished ceilings, no acoustical treatments and thus comparatively noisy. Can't have a conversation with my wife without many "What?"s (I'm getting old.) Boomerang on 39th is our good basic burger go-to now. Head to head with this one sample, Boomerang is a better burger and I like their fries better too. But there's not much else to compare between the two.

I believe their regular opening was today.
    That's funny, same thing happened to me. One of the best surprises I've had in awhile.

Ted's is open!

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Ted's is open!
    Man I was hoping they were going to do a soft opening as well so I could get some more free food.

We didn't get a free meal but they brought us a free sampler plate of sides with some mashed potatoes, corn and guacamole on it. I don't normally eat at Ted's so it was nice to try those. They were all pretty good.

They were doing site survey today behind the braum's. Is Jimmy's eggs and Taco Mayo still a go for the area?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    They were doing site survey today behind the braum's. Is Jimmy's eggs and Taco Mayo still a go for the area?
    Probably both, although no building permits yet.

The OnCue spot in that area now has a "coming soon" sign:

On Cue coming along but still nothing going on with Taco Mayo and Jimmy's egg?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    On Cue coming along but still nothing going on with Taco Mayo and Jimmy's egg?
    I haven't seen any building permits.

I suspect Jimmy's wants to finish their Mustang location first.

Sure is a shame this development wasn't more thought out. Would have been nice to have a more cohesive design with the surrounding restaurants rather than having the parking lot inbetween.

Old Navy is set to start work on an 11,000 SF store.

Does anyone know if the outlet malls are truly "discount" outlets, I was shopping for some stuf for my son at the American eagle and it didn't seem to be any cheaper than the mall.

New building or addition to the complex?

Taking existing space in the middle of the complex; old Hanes space and maybe one or two more.

Quote Originally Posted by OKIEDOKE View Post
    Does anyone know if the outlet malls are truly "discount" outlets, I was shopping for some stuf for my son at the American eagle and it didn't seem to be any cheaper than the mall.
    I think outlet is just a name these days. I don't think any outlet stores have been truly discount since the '90s.

Thread Information