Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Outlets

Default Re: Outlet Shoppes

Quote Originally Posted by ClayCall View Post
    I picked up a North Face Jacket for $99 that was still for sale in Von Maur for $189. Also, I always suspected that the J Crew outlet store's clothes were of a cheaper quality than an actual J Crew. I have lost some respect for several of my shirts now...
    Was the NF jacket from the outlet the same quality as the one at Von Maur? North Face outlet shop always seems to have good prices, but I'm suspicious of the quality.

I've bought a few jackets from the North Face Outlet and have been very happy with them, I think they may actually be discontinued or last season products because they all have a black marker on the tag/label.

Dirt was being moved and equipment was being dropped off at 7am this morning for the Jimmy Egg, Taco Mayo project. Any guess how long before they open. 6 months?

I was at the Outlet mall recently, made a special trip out there after work (so from moore), to visit the Lane Bryant outlet, looking for (hoping for anyway) some more clearance items (a certain one) & was very disappointed to find the exact same stuff for the exact same price as the Full retail shops... now they did have an ok clearance section but nothing that I wanted, tho I think the retail LB Store over on 240/penn had a better Clearance section.... I remember going to the LB outlet shortly after (w/i the first year I think) and getting some stuff , but was very disappointed to NOT find any bargains at all there, I did stop by a few other stores but w/o having much money ... lol , just felt like I wasted gas & time going out there (had to drive bck home to MWC after leaving soooo)
    I remember (vaguely) when outlet stores were true outlet (or at least seemed to be) they had off season stuff, slightly imperfect stuff, etc... then they went to Outlet specific lines ( would say LB Outlet) & now it's the exact same stuff...

Building permit was issued on 2016-09-07 for the Jimmy's Egg/Taco Mayo project.

Bath and Body Works putting in a 3,900 square foot store.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Bath and Body Works putting in a 3,900 square foot store.
    Lots of rapid expansion for our outlet shoppes.

Only thing that bugs me about it is how I remember the Gainesville shoppes just growing by leaps and bounds its first few years, but now the place is a falling-down, nearly abandoned ghost town. I realize there's probably loads of "not an apples to apples comparison," but when you do take note of the fact that the idea of an "outlet store" has changed a lot and sometimes the "values" aren't so good....you have to wonder if the "outlet store" mall bubble risks popping. Just musing, not predicting any doom, just caution

^ I don't think so.

Remember Yukon, Mustang, and the whole Canadian county is experiencing very strong growth -- this is the closest retail destination to all of that, a much shorter and easier drive than to Penn Square or Memorial Rd.

People from the west county may still drive to PSM for certain stores or products not available at Rockwell, but it covers most retail shopping needs for that area.

I think it will be fine, and I think most people understand that Outlet Malls are really nothing special anymore as far as cost savings -- but located in the right area, which this one is, it can stand on its own.

9. Default Re: Outlet Shoppes

I agree with Catch, the 'outlet' is just a name but in reality it is THE retail center for the West OKC Metro area.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Yeah this is the neared mall to me now, and my wife and I go there on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Lots of rapid expansion for our outlet shoppes.

Only thing that bugs me about it is how I remember the Gainesville shoppes just growing by leaps and bounds its first few years, but now the place is a falling-down, nearly abandoned ghost town. I realize there's probably loads of "not an apples to apples comparison," but when you do take note of the fact that the idea of an "outlet store" has changed a lot and sometimes the "values" aren't so good....you have to wonder if the "outlet store" mall bubble risks popping. Just musing, not predicting any doom, just caution
    I was living in Ardmore at the time the Outlet Shops were build in Gainesville. The developers of that mall originally looked at putting it in the Ardmore area if I remember correctly. But because of local business opposition, they moved it to Gainesville. No one at the time believed it would last. Gainesville is a small town. A fair amount smaller then Ardmore. Plus there is way more money in Ardmore. Way more. It might have worked in Ardmore. But it was doomed when it opened in Gainesville. Just not enough folks. And no one goes to Gainesville for much of anything. When it was opened, it was the only thing out there. It was just a bad plan and idea from the get-go.

I have been to the outlet shops in Gainesville more times than I can count and it was always a stop off place to stretch your legs, maybe do a little shopping, grab a bite, drain the lizard and then keep going to your destination. The reason being is it is on the border of Oklahoma and Texas with a population of just over 16,000 people. It would be like putting an outlet mall on I-44 near Miami, OK and hoping people stop along the way. The current outlet mall is in a major metro area, on a major highway with other stuff around it. The two aren't even comparable.

People forget that outlet malls where originally put outside metro areas so that they would not compete with full price retail stores. The idea being people would drive out to them to save money and stock up. Now that outlet stores are not selling seconds or last years style but are making a cheaper version they are competing with the likes of the big mall stores. Now they want their stores in the metro areas. The older outlet malls in the middle of nowhere are dying. Remember the Stroud mall. It mall, it had vacancy issues before the tornado took it out.

Last week I was out here doing some last minute Christmas shopping, and a cashier in one of the shops I was in mentioned that Cole Haan, Kenneth Cole, and Nine West were all set to close either before the end of the year, or, immediately after the new year. I walked by the Kenneth Cole store and there were banners hanging up and in the windows indicating that they would like to get rid of all their merchandise in a hurry, but no actual signage saying the store was closing. I would hate to see a Cole Haan and Kenneth Cole stand-alone store leave Oklahoma, even if it is just an outlet shop.

Quote Originally Posted by YeahIKnow View Post
    Last week I was out here doing some last minute Christmas shopping, and a cashier in one of the shops I was in mentioned that Cole Haan, Kenneth Cole, and Nine West were all set to close either before the end of the year, or, immediately after the new year. I walked by the Kenneth Cole store and there were banners hanging up and in the windows indicating that they would like to get rid of all their merchandise in a hurry, but no actual signage saying the store was closing. I would hate to see a Cole Haan and Kenneth Cole stand-alone store leave Oklahoma, even if it is just an outlet shop.
    Bummer. I hated to see the Coach Men's store close, but I think they closed quite a few stores across the country in recent years. That may be part of the reason these stores are closing as well; who knows. I think some of these retailers are really losing out to the "fast fashion" chains like H&M, Zara, Topshop, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    Bummer. I hated to see the Coach Men's store close, but I think they closed quite a few stores across the country in recent years. That may be part of the reason these stores are closing as well; who knows. I think some of these retailers are really losing out to the "fast fashion" chains like H&M, Zara, Topshop, etc.
    They are closing because Oklahoma in general is a blue jean State not high end casual. Its a hick. good ole boy place, not NE preppy. Just the facts

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    They are closing because Oklahoma in general is a blue jean State not high end casual. Its a hick. good ole boy place, not NE preppy. Just the facts
    You're just trolling and are going to get banned if you keep it up.

WOW!

I know a ton of people, both older and younger across political and religious demographics, who are very in tune with fashion. They are also from Oklahoma (i.e. born and raised). Take your hyperbolic nonsense elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You're just trolling and are going to get banned if you keep it up.
    Pete,
    Not trolling. As you know, I visit the site I dare say every day. I love the site and what you have done, but if you are going to restrict opinion then I guess you should ban me. With some of the comments I have SEEN POSTED ON THIS SITE ABOUT ALL MANNER OF ISSUES IF THIS comment GETS ME BANNED , OH WELL. The sensitivity of Oklahomans runs deep but the absolute refusal to acknowledge the States or cities well documented and substantiated failings as well as its successes is disappointing. You chose to move back home to Oklahoma, many like me choose not to because of the thinking of many of the people who reside there unable to embrace rational criticism to affect change but stubbornly hold on to antiquated ideas that keep the state mired in mediocrity.

yeah they're closing all of them, http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/11/kenne...et-stores.html

It's my understanding that Cole Hana isn't doing well in general. They're overpriced for their quality level and that price range is pretty crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    My friend works at Kenneth Cole and told me in September that all the outlets are closing. Apparently their full-priced product line is selling very well so they have no need for the outlets. Kind of sucks because it was my favorite store at the outlet. Cole Haan was nice but was really plain in my opinion, and I could have predicted Coach Men's would have a hard time catching on in OKC.

Referring to an earlier comment, Zara would absolutely kill in this market.

LOL - this is limited to Oklahoma? Most people in DFW wear cargo shorts, Texas Rangers t-shirts, and flip-flops. You could say that every southern state is a blue jean state.

Quote Originally Posted by ourulz2000 View Post
    Most people in DFW wear cargo shorts
    Perhaps in Fort Worth that might be more true but not in Dallas. Anyone that says OKC is a fashionable city would be laughed at by people in the fashion industry. I will say it is getting better, but it is not like Los Angeles.

I hope to see some high-end stores such as Gucci and Luis Vuitton open here. If that happens, I'll purchase those products from OKC when I visit instead of LA(at least the products I can get as they likely won't carry everything the stores in LA have) to give OKC my tax dollars and support the store sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Perhaps in Fort Worth that might be more true but not in Dallas. Anyone that says OKC is a fashionable city would be laughed at by people in the fashion industry. I will say it is getting better, but it is not like Los Angeles.
    Of course it's not like Los Angeles, very few places are. But all you have to do is go downtown during the day (roughly 50,000 workers) or to Paseo, Plaza, Midtown, AA or Film Row in the evening or weekends and you can see a lot of fashionable people. Now, it might be some hipster fashion, but I know a lot of people who pay a lot of money for good clothes at local stores and are very fashion forward. Yes, OKC has it's fair share of blue jeans wearing people, I am one of them. But there are also plenty of nicely dressed people as well.

By the way, you can't state your opinion and say it's a fact, that not how it works. (not directed at you PP.)

Thread Information