Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Bars

Default Re: Good Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I couldn't imagine eating at the landing zone or consuming anything that wasn't hermetically sealed yet you have sparked my interest. Sounds like a dare.
    Stew,
    You and OKBBQEA are probably a little young to remember a little dump on the Southwest corner of 44th and Lincoln. I don't remember the name of the place, but following the name it said, "Home of the Blue Eyed Indian". They had cold beer and really good hamburgers. The first time I had to be dragged in there, after that, it was in my lunch rotation along with Leo's, Tom's, Sussy's, The Patio, R. J.'s Diner and Big Beef. Throw in an occasional visit to Pulliam's and El Chico on 22nd and Broadway as well as in the Paseo district and that was my lunch for quite a few years.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I was pretty much the same way.... I don't like eating in smoke filled bars either. But I've heard nothing but good things about these burgers.
    Back when Edna's mama was alive, she would fix chicken and dumplings once a week........worth the smoky bar.

3. Default Re: Good Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Back when Edna's mama was alive, she would fix chicken and dumplings once a week........worth the smoky bar.
    Well I do love some chicken and dumplings but my love of smoked foods requires hard wood be used to apply the smoke. Not acrid smelling weeds. So I probably would have ordered it to go!

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    There are other places like The Landing Zone that are your typical "bar", but I wouldn't call them "nice". And there are the real gems like Booger Reds or heaven help us, the Lilly Pad LOL.
    The Lilly Pad?...are you referring to the Frog Pond on 29th?

It's actually a very nice Hudson's since it's a converted Interurban (among other eateries over the years). Smoke is going to be harder to avoid in Mid-Del...there aren't a lot of bars that are not gear toward the typical bar group. But there are a LOT of places to eat that have bar areas. Chequer's is a MWC local with a small bar, no smoke. The food is ok, nothing stellar, but it's far from bad. That's on Air Depot, north of 15th.

There are other places like The Landing Zone that are your typical "bar", but I wouldn't call them "nice". And there are the real gems like Booger Reds or heaven help us, the Lilly Pad LOL.
    Bombermwc,
    I am a (very) senior citizen that's slopping at the government trough, SS and Medicare. Or as some folks call them "Entitlements", so are you trying to get rid of me? The Lilly Pad? I'm not sure I would survive a visit to their bar. Now, Chequer's sounds good, I will have to cheque them out.
    Thanks for your honest evaluation,
    C. T.

Landing Zone is not that bad and I hear they have a guy cooking in there now that is turning out some top notch burgers. Haven't made it over there to try one yet but if the pics I have seen do them justice they look pretty darn tasty.
    I drove by the Landing Zone today, not really what I was looking for, but your comment on burgers will force me to give it a shot.
    C. T.

7. Default Re: Good Bars

Trousers, yeah sorry, I meant the Frog Pond....either way, avoid it. :P

There aint any good bars since the Rendezvous burned down.
    Try the Bamboo Room, over by the old Planet. Dave runs a tight ship. Clean, and not so stinky. Full bar.

9. Default Re: Good Bars

I have a friend that played in a band at the Bamboo Room back in college. I was shocked to find out that they had live groups there. When he told me where he was playing, I will admit, I though "that piece of crap place has live music?" I've never been there, so I can't really comment on it, other than to say at least it does look better outside now than it did for a very long time.

10. Default Re: Good Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Head View Post
    LMAO.... Best thing to ever happen to MWC was that place burning down!

Played in the MWC dart league for several years and played in some dive bars but Rendezvous had to be the diviest. ;+)

LMAO.... Best thing to ever happen to MWC was that place burning down!

Played in the MWC dart league for several years and played in some dive bars but Rendezvous had to be the diviest. ;+)
    So... I win?

Quote Originally Posted by Head View Post
    Try the Bamboo Room, over by the old Planet. Dave runs a tight ship. Clean, and not so stinky. Full bar.
    Head,
    I drove by the Bamboo Room Tuesday but I didn't stop. It was early and I'm not sure they were open. It looked reasonably nice, I will give it a shot. Right now I think Old Chicago and Chequers, and if Pelican's still has a bar, are probably the best ones. I do plan on giving the burgers at The Landing a shot, and I will have to stop in at Henry Hudson's. I'm not a big HH fan, I have been in good and bad ones for going away parties. Usually a lot of smoke which I'm fine with if it's not too bad. The last one I was in was on Hefner East of Rockwell. I met some former work buddies for lunch and it was pretty good.
    C. T.

Been there once or twice. And yeah it's a pretty classy joint. it seemed like the most popular beer in there was the Beast.

Bombermwc,
    I wish you had provided the address of the "Frog Pond" so I could have avoided it. I drove by it today and it's not one of Mid-Del's finer places.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Bombermwc,
    I wish you had provided the address of the "Frog Pond" so I could have avoided it. I drove by it today and it's not one of Mid-Del's finer places.
    C. T.
    You have to respect the owners, for building the structure to follow the contours of the landscape. So as not to interrupt the flow of the scenery, I suppose.

Today I discovered a couple of places not mentioned so far, "Da Bomb" on SE 29th just West of Sam's and "The Garage" on Sooner, North of 29th. I really enjoyed The Garage in Edmond, and even though the one on Sooner is about five miles from where I will be living, I will have to go there for a couple of beers. I really enjoyed their burgers too. Da Bomb looks like it has been bombed, probably not a place I need to be visiting.
    C. T.

Your initial impression of "Da Bomb" is probably fairly accurate.
    2 injured in Midwest City bar shooting | News OK
    Two Stabbed At Midwest City Bar - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

It was fairly rough when I used to go there occasionally, back in the 70's (and it went by a different name), but the Frog Pond was a lot rougher. I guess time has shuffled rough stuff around a little. Bottom line: Avoiding Da Bomb is akin to wisdom.

Friday I stopped at Old Chicago and it was good with a very nice selection of draught beer, several "craft" beers as well as name brands, Stella, Newcastle, et al. I drove by Chequers Restaurant & Pub and it looked a little down for some reason. I will stop by there in the next few weeks and check it out.
    C. T.

The Black Raven, supposedly a traditional Irish pub has opened in Choctaw. Not exactly Mid/Del but not far either. I will try it out. It's only seven miles from the place I am moving to.
    C. T.

Well, after paying a $1,000 deposit on July 14th, 2014, there is finally a vacancy. Looks like I will be moving possibly late December, but maybe as late as January. When I started this thread I thought it would be just a few months, but it's been sixteen+. They only have thirteen "cottages" at Arbor House and a vacancy requires a death, worsening health, or just somebody deciding to move out and it's finally happening. Not looking forward to leaving my home of forty years, but ready for a change. Maybe I can meet some of you for lunch or a beer very soon. Thanks for the tips.
    C. T.

I'm glad are finally able to move. I'm sure it was frustrating.

There is a bar near me that hasn't been mentioned. The "Celebrity Club" is at Air Depot and Foster Place. All I know about it is, judging by the amount of construction, they have spent quite a bit of money fixing the building and parking lot up. As to clientele and atmosphere, I haven't a clue.

The Bamboo Room was mentioned several times. It has or will be moving to about the 900 block of S. Air Depot where a Chinese restaurant was for a long time. Where it was located will be a chain eating place, the name of which has just floated out of my consciousness only to return once I have finished this and signed out.

22. Default Re: Good Bars

Congrats C.T.. In the back of my mind I always thought I might get one more chance to come over and join your boys in recklessly jumping from the trampoline into the swimming pool one last time. But alas, at age 48 and being 70 pounds overweight it might have been a bad idea anyway...plus I know a wind storm got the trampoline!

Drinking a beer with you sometime sounds like a MUCH better idea, now that I think about it.

Well, I now live in Midwest City. Moved in yesterday. I would love to say "this town isn't big enough for both of us", but unfortunately, I'm an old toot with health problems. Tough to move out of a place I lived in for forty years, but glad I have done it. Hope to see some of you
    C. T.

Congrats on the move C.T.

Enjoy, but do not be a speed demon on the streets of your new home. And most definitely do not imbibe and drive.
    MWC has one of the strictest municipal court systems in which I've ever appeared.
    They are all as polite and professional as they can be, but it's really, really not a good town to find yourself in trouble.

Most bars get better the more you drink.

Thread Information