Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: West Village

Blog Entries

Default Re: West Village

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    There are a ton of developments in OKC to criticize. This isn't one of them. This and the Steelyard will definitely raise the bar in terms of what is expected for mixed-use developments downtown. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished out.
    Steelyard hid their parking. This development put it right out front and is a very basic concrete garage. Glad you love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Steelyard hid their parking. This development put it right out front and is a very basic concrete garage. Glad you love it.
    He may not love it, but he isn't letting great be the enemy of good.

HangryHippo Guest

I’m with you on this. All this money and great design, but the parking seems front and center in every shot. Disappointing.

Blog Entries

I think the one in the middle on Main will be fine once it's sandwiched between apartments, but I can't understand for the life of me why they put the apartments right next to jones instead of the garage. I mean, on concert nights, those people ain't getting much sleep, so you'd think they'd want a sound barrier the size of a garage anyway.......

The Steelyard development was built on a veritable blank slate of land roughly three times the size of this area between 21c and the Jones. Plus the Steelyard land backs up to abandoned railroad tracks instead of being surrounded by city streets and a beautiful boutique hotel. The Steelyard had way more options available to them in planning their layout. I wouldn't consider this an apt comparison to make.

That being said, I do agree that the garage could be done better, but I'm willing to wait for completion before I judge it too harshly.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I mean, considering that their brand identity is built around the "Drive-in" concept, I can understand the lack of interest in a non-drive up model - but given that they've had operators successfully run locations in shopping mall food courts and in at least one airport, not to mention their walk-in only flagship store in Bricktown, all operating during that time frame, I'm a bit surprised at the total disinterest in further walk-in stores. I certainly hope that mindset has changed or at least softened a little.
    I would assume their reluctance is because they don't want to get away from their core competency. I can see wanting that site to be more urban now that the area is getting built up, but that Sonic has been there for years and until just several months ago there was not much there. Plenty of room for parking and a drive-in restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I think the one in the middle on Main will be fine once it's sandwiched between apartments, but I can't understand for the life of me why they put the apartments right next to jones instead of the garage. I mean, on concert nights, those people ain't getting much sleep, so you'd think they'd want a sound barrier the size of a garage anyway.......
    Not mention the view from the apts on the west side. I would rather look over west OKC (as bad as it is right now) than look at a parking garage wall.

From today:

What a presence that makes.

Does anybody have an estimate in terms of when this development will be complete?

Another view of the bricks going up, from The Downtown Development twitter:

Bricks are installed on the West Village apartments/commercial building along Sheridan Ave (just east of @theJonesOKC).

Really excited for this project. It's coming along nicely. I'm still a bit disappointed by the free standing garages but overall this is going to be nice.

There are so many monstrous parking garages in that last pic... I can't not look at them. (I spy 14 free standing garages!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Really excited for this project. It's coming along nicely. I'm still a bit disappointed by the free standing garages but overall this is going to be nice.

There are so many monstrous parking garages in that last pic... I can't not look at them. (I spy 14 free standing garages!)
    I would think at the very least, these two new west village garages would be built with small ramp areas and flat floors, so that when they become completely unnecessary in a few short years, they can easily be converted into housing or office. Cant do that when each floor is unlevel. Plenty of other developers are doing this in other big markets, as they see autonomous cars lessening the demand for parking.

Does anybody know when this is supposed to finally be completed?

I think a lot of people underestimate how massive this area is and what it will do for downtown. The phrase "game changer" is overused on OKCTalk but this is one development where I think it legitimately applies.

Completely finished is going to take more than a year.

The first units in the building just east of Jones will be ready this fall.

Hopefully the brick facade makes those of you who felt uneasy about the parking garages, sleep a little easier tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    Hopefully the brick facade makes those of you who felt uneasy about the parking garages, sleep a little easier tonight.
    Just so you know, I think that is just about it for the brick on that building.

Maybe a bit more on the west end near the entrance/exit but the rest will be painted or stucco.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    The second is better than the first, but still not good. It is sandwiched so it will be less noticeable. The other is at the entrance and has major presence on two highly trafficked streets. The whole project is nice, but they did the minimum on the garages.

In the plans they had stucco on parts of the now-concrete. And also had large advertisements on some of the now-concrete giant walls.

Also I think I remember seeing a Film Row District logo on one of them.

Hopefully all those things are still coming.

23. Default Re: West Village

Is that garage in the last photo pretty much finished? It seems to be the most bizarrely unfinished looking garage I've ever seen.

Honestly, I love the fact that this area is booming and being developed; however, the aesthetic of this entire development is not pleasing. It just seems like the designs of the apartments and the garages are not to the high standards that 21C and Jones have.

I've been thinking the same thing every time I drive by.

Thread Information