Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 222324252627

Thread: West Village

Default Re: West Village

The city better consider extending the Bricktown loop west to this area.

Are all of these new projects in West Village rental units? Or are there units up for sale/ownership?

^

Yes, all apartments apart from some commercial space.

https://www.apartments.com/west-vill...ty-ok/kpjdgj9/

5. Default Re: West Village

I haven't lived in an apartment in 25 years. I remember having a pet deposit but never saw additional pet rent before, Is this common nowadays?

Dogs and Cats Allowed: We welcome 2 pets per apartment home. There is a $350 non-refundable fee per pet due at time of move in. Pet rent is $20 per month. There is a weight limit of 50 lbs per pet, and aggressive breeds are prohibited. Please call for complete pet policy information.

$20 Monthly Pet Rent
    $400 Fee
    50 lb Weight Limit
    2 Pet Limit

Very common.

I know at least one local apartment complex that uses a DNA testing service to match dog poop to owners in their complex.

All Midtown R properties do pet DNA testing I was told (but don't live in one of those properties so not first hand info).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I know at least one local apartment complex that uses a DNA testing service to match dog poop to owners in their complex.
    I almost rented from a place that does this. Key word, almost. I always clean up after my dogs, but this takes it too far. If you don’t trust your tenants with dog waste, I can imagine how the move out inspection will go. Hint, probably not in the tenants favor for recovering any of your deposit.

Easier solution. Have maintenance people clean up dog waste and that’s it. If they witness someone leave their dog waste behind confront them and fine them.

11. Default Re: West Village

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Easier solution. Have maintenance people clean up dog waste and that’s it. If they witness someone leave their dog waste behind confront them and fine them.
    Agreed. . What does the extra $40 month pet rent cover? You already are paying a non refundable deposit for any damages. The extra "pet rent" seems like a money grab unless they are having to actually do something like have a pet scooping service clean up.

12. Default Re: West Village

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    All Midtown R properties do pet DNA testing I was told (but don't live in one of those properties so not first hand info).
    This is true. I lived in one of their properties and so did my wife. They started probably back in 2014.

Those are pretty invasive policies. I wonder if MR really doesn't want pets... but they figure that if pet owners are willing to agree to such agreeable terms to them then it's in their interest to allow them.

14. Default Re: West Village

As someone who owns and manages 5 rentals, you can't charge enough for a pet fee It may seem like a money grab, but I can assure you all of it goes to deep cleaning and ozone treatments after tenant moves out.
    Last edited by worthy cook; 01-26-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: changed deposit to fee.

Blog Entries

^Agree, We now prohibit pets after a couple of really bad experiences - chewed door facings, scratched floors, torn carpets, etc. Anyway, that extra per month isn’t unreasonable.

16. Default Re: West Village

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    As someone who owns and manages 5 rentals, you can't charge enough for a pet fee It may seem like a money grab, but I can assure you all of it goes to deep cleaning and ozone treatments after tenant moves out.
    I have owned residential rentals also and have no issue with the pet fee of $350 per pet as there is extra cleaning but I would hope every unit gets a deep cleaning between tenants regardless of whether they had pets. Any extra damage can come out of the regular deposit. I find issue with the extra recurring monthly fee. What extra expense does the landlord have each month due to a pet. I do see that they have a dog park and if they are doing upkeep and maintenance on it....that may justify it.

I live in a building that allows pets (and also charges a monthly fee/rent for them) and there is recurring damage to common areas by the pets at times. Accidents on the hallway/elevator carpets, scratches to exterior apartment doors, elevator walls, probably things I don't notice. Not justifying the fees per se but reporting on things I've seen that could be using to rationalize. But if they're going to do a monthly fee, especially in these larger facilities, maybe something like $5-10/mo (maybe more for a smaller facility with fewer units/pets) which should more than cover said common area damage in the aggregate.

What I heard about Midtown R DNA policy is that is stopped cold the residents from not picking up after their animals. They test everything and only non-residents/non-tested animals aren't picked up after. The non pet owners are happy about this arrangement.

My current complex has a dog park, multiple doggy bag stands around the property and problems with people not picking up. Somebody recently left a handmade sign in one area, it's getting that bad. I can understand the DNA testing for this reason

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Agreed. . What does the extra $40 month pet rent cover? You already are paying a non refundable deposit for any damages. The extra "pet rent" seems like a money grab unless they are having to actually do something like have a pet scooping service clean up.
    I think most rental management companies are complete scam artists to begin with. I just moved out of an apartment 2 weeks ago (hopefully my last as I’m purchasing) and they said they won’t assess any deposit charges for 30-45 more days.

20. Default Re: West Village

This made me laugh out loud.
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

An ex of mine rented a house one street north of Nichols Hills in The Village from a very nice man who just moved his family out of the house--typically a wise move to keep your starter home as a rent house. A month later she adopted a pit-mix and never told him. The house was carpeted and the dog was allowed to roam around. The landlord eventually found out about the dog and made her pay a pet deposit (much kinder than eviction.) After the lease was up she decided to move somewhere else. When the landlord stepped foot in his house he immediately realized the deposit was not going to cover the damage. The year old, white carpet was covered in stains from the dog chewing on a rawhide all throughout the house. The back yard looked like a minefield, scratches all over the front and back doors and other miscellaneous damage to the house by the dog. The man eventually decided to sell the house as to not deal with the stress.

After that I made the decision to never own a pet until I own the property I am living in. The shame-by-proxy I felt in that situation was too much for me to handle again.

This has been a long winded way of saying that I agree with the additional fees these apartments are charging. You just never know what is going on behind the doors.

22. Default Re: West Village

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    An ex of mine rented a house one street north of Nichols Hills in The Village from a very nice man who just moved his family out of the house--typically a wise move to keep your starter home as a rent house. A month later she adopted a pit-mix and never told him. The house was carpeted and the dog was allowed to roam around. The landlord eventually found out about the dog and made her pay a pet deposit (much kinder than eviction.) After the lease was up she decided to move somewhere else. When the landlord stepped foot in his house he immediately realized the deposit was not going to cover the damage. The year old, white carpet was covered in stains from the dog chewing on a rawhide all throughout the house. The back yard looked like a minefield, scratches all over the front and back doors and other miscellaneous damage to the house by the dog. The man eventually decided to sell the house as to not deal with the stress.

After that I made the decision to never own a pet until I own the property I am living in. The shame-by-proxy I felt in that situation was too much for me to handle again.

This has been a long winded way of saying that I agree with the additional fees these apartments are charging. You just never know what is going on behind the doors.
    Yeah, irresponsible pet owners ruin it for everyone. Accidents happen, but everything you mentioned was plain negligence and that’s really unfortunate. With proper training and management when not able to be within eyeshot (confinement to a small room when home or crate when away) most of that could’ve likely been prevented. She never should’ve let a newly adopted dog or a puppy roam free like that...just completely irresponsible and not at all conducive to actually training a dog or breaking bad habits...whether in an apartment, rent house or your own house. Some people just shouldn’t own a dog, your ex sounds like one of those people.

Now some hotels are 'pet friendly' and allow dogs into hotel rooms. I've know situations where rooms were severely damaged by dogs in addition of tics being in carpet and other furnishings. What a mess from pet owners who are clueless to how much damage their pets can cause.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah, irresponsible pet owners ruin it for everyone. Accidents happen, but everything you mentioned was plain negligence and that’s really unfortunate. With proper training and management when not able to be within eyeshot (confinement to a small room when home or crate when away) most of that could’ve likely been prevented. She never should’ve let a newly adopted dog or a puppy roam free like that...just completely irresponsible and not at all conducive to actually training a dog or breaking bad habits...whether in an apartment, rent house or your own house. Some people just shouldn’t own a dog, your ex sounds like one of those people.
    I warned her about the responsibilities of being a pet owner. She didn't care.

I failed to mention that I ended the relationship before she ever moved out of the house. Her roommate filled me in on the aftermath.

Thread Information