Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: SH 74 Widening

Default Re: SH 74 Widening

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    I know that project has had a lot of existing utilities in the way that have caused delays. From what I've been told on other projects, say they run into an AT&T fiber line, they have to wait for AT&T to go through the process of letting our a contract to relocate their lines, wait for that work to be completed, and then come back and start over.
    I understand what you are saying. The movement of utilities play a huge factor. But this project has been going on for two years. Utility relocation was done, or should have been done a long time ago. I understand if something was missed and had to be addressed before construction continued, but there has been day after day of good weather with comparatively little work being done. I drive through there at least twice a day, and many days, there's no one even there working. In the time this project has been languishing along, Danforth/192nd from about 1/3 mile east of Western to Penn has been widened from 2 to 4 lanes. 178th from Penn to May has been widened from 2 to 4 lanes, both projects all in concrete I might add, and the SH 74 has gone from nothing to where it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I understand what you are saying. The movement of utilities play a huge factor. But this project has been going on for two years. Utility relocation was done, or should have been done a long time ago. I understand if something was missed and had to be addressed before construction continued, but there has been day after day of good weather with comparatively little work being done. I drive through there at least twice a day, and many days, there's no one even there working. In the time this project has been languishing along, Danforth/192nd from about 1/3 mile east of Western to Penn has been widened from 2 to 4 lanes. 178th from Penn to May has been widened from 2 to 4 lanes, both projects all in concrete I might add, and the SH 74 has gone from nothing to where it is now.
    Oh I'm not making excuses, you're right. Just tossing in what little I do know about the job.

I hear you, and thanks.

This from today about 15 minutes ago..... Nothing but crickets in either direction. There were 3 or 4 guys laying sod on the east side of the road, so it would be misleading to say there was No One out there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	11454
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	11453

Since they are putting in access/service/frontage roads, is it reasonable to think there will be heavy commercial development there? Would they build it like that if they weren't expecting a lot of development? Also, when the second stage starts, are they likely to demolish the Sonic and those other businesses at NW 178th & Hwy 74?

I can't say this with any authority, but I think it would be unlikely that they would. If you look at aerial views of the stretch between NW 206th / Covell and NW 150th, all of the businesses are on the west side of Portland except for one - and that one on the East side (at 206th & Portland) is set back far enough from Portland that it does not encumber the widening project.

If I had to guess, the ultimate facility from the existing, widened portion of SH 74 (north of 206th) down to NW 164th St will likely be shifted slightly east of the current Portland ROW. At 164th, the ROW would curve slightly to the west toward the new NW 150th bridge and interchange.

Again, that's just my wild guess - but from aerial views, it would make the most sense.

Oklahoma Department of Transportation

Traffic Advisory — SH-74 traffic will move to temporary alignment between Memorial Rd., 164th St.

SH-74 traffic will shift to the recently paved west frontage road between Memorial Rd. and N.W. 164th St. on Wednesday afternoon. Shifting traffic to the west allows contractor Haskell Lemon Construction Co. to begin working on the new northbound and southbound lanes of SH-74.

The widening project will reconstruct SH-74 from two lanes to a four-lane divided highway from just north of Memorial Rd. to just north of N.W. 164th St. Also being added in the widening are frontage roads on the east and west sides of the highway.

Drivers are cautioned to remain alert as the changes take effect this week and to plan for extra time while traveling this section of the corridor.

Access from SH-74 to a row of businesses and private entities on the east side of the highway from Memorial Rd. north to N.W. 150th St. will be limited for the next four months. Northbound traffic will be able to access the area from the frontage road, but will not be able to exit back to southbound SH-74. The detour will be Parkway Commons Dr. to Memorial Rd. or to N.W. 150th St.

This $34 million project is the third phase in widening the SH-74 corridor from Memorial Rd. north to Waterloo Rd. Completion of this phase is expected in late spring 2016. The fourth and final phase to four lane SH-74 is scheduled for 2018 from north of N.W. 164th St. to N.W. 206th St. (Covell Rd.).

Well, they switched us to the new 2 lane road, and it is terrible. Do NOT go that way if you can help it. There are no left hand turning lanes, and the temporary lights cycle to only let on direction go at a time. Why didn't they install turning lanes and actual lights? They are keeping it like this until april! Why did they set it up like it is now? I'm sure there is a reason, but it seems like a huge cluster right now...

Yeah I went that way this morning at 630 EB on 150th to turn SB on 74 and holy crap what an abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Well, they switched us to the new 2 lane road, and it is terrible. Do NOT go that way if you can help it. There are no left hand turning lanes, and the temporary lights cycle to only let on direction go at a time. Why didn't they install turning lanes and actual lights? They are keeping it like this until april! Why did they set it up like it is now? I'm sure there is a reason, but it seems like a huge cluster right now...
    As with everything else roads-related, money (or lack of it) is the answer. Putting in an extra lane on the new frontage road would not be cheap. Nor would permanent traffic signals.

Oklahoma Department of Transportation

Traffic Advisory — SH-74 (Portland) rush-hour traffic improvements scheduled for Monday

The temporary realignment of SH-74 (Portland Ave.) traffic between Memorial Rd. and N.W. 164th St. will see additional improvements in time for Monday’s evening rush hour. They include:

Left turn lanes will be added at the intersections of Memorial Rd. and N.W. 164th St.
    There will be southbound, eastbound and westbound left turn lanes added at the N.W. 150th St. intersection. There is not enough room on the temporary pavement to add a left-turn lane for this direction.
    Left turns will be restricted from northbound SH-74 to westbound N.W. 150th St. during evening rush hour from 4-6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
    Additionally, traffic light timing will be adjusted at Memorial Rd., N.W. 150th St. and N.W. 164th St. to allow more traffic to simultaneously move through the intersections.

Signage will be placed ahead of the work zone warning motorists about the left turn restriction. Drivers are cautioned to remain alert as the changes take effect and are strongly urged to find an alternate route or plan for additional travel time.

Traffic was shifted to the newly paved west frontage road between Memorial Rd. and N.W. 164th St. on Wednesday afternoon so the contractor could begin construction of the four-lane divided highway.

ODOT is maintaining access to a row of businesses and private entities located on the east side of SH-74 from Memorial Rd. north to N.W. 150th St. Access is limited to northbound traffic along the frontage road, but traffic will not be able to exit back to southbound SH-74. The southbound detour will be Parkway Commons Dr. to Memorial Rd. or to N.W. 150th St. Southbound traffic will be able to access this area from N.W. 150th St. or Memorial Rd. to Parkway Commons Dr.

I'm fortunate to live near NW 178th & May so I've just avoided the whole 74 area since they started. I occasionally drive thru on a weekend just to see what progress has been made. I guess I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Signage will be placed ahead of the work zone warning motorists about the left turn restriction. Drivers are cautioned to remain alert as the changes take effect and are strongly urged to find an alternate route or plan for additional travel time.
    Its complete Garbage. I have traveled through at 150th, and 164th over the past two days, just to see the carnage. To say its bad, is an understatement. Will definitely go 178th now, but I think with them having "signage" telling motorists, no left turns (between certain hours) will also be disasterous. You will have many motorists, that will simply disregard these signs, and make the traffic flow even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    but traffic will not be able to exit back to southbound SH-74. The southbound detour will be Parkway Commons Dr. to Memorial Rd. or to N.W. 150th St. Southbound traffic will be able to access this area from N.W. 150th St. or Memorial Rd. to Parkway Commons Dr.
    And although, I shouldn't find humor, in others frustrations...I have found it somewhat satisfying, to see people illegally zoom past me westbound as we all sit there. They think they're clever, by cutting thru the Parking lot of the Crossings church, hoping to get access to Southbound Portland. about 15 minutes later, when I'm STILL in line to get to the light, I see their car reappear...coming Northbound to the intersection, and seeing the look on their face, when they realize that they're going to have to get right back in line...to do it all over again. Its glorious actually.

Anyone been thru this area lately? I've been avoiding it but I thought it was scheduled to be done around now and I'm hoping traffic on Southbound May will return to normal. It's not unusual to have traffic backed up to NW 164th from 150th and back to Angie Debo Elem from 164th. I'm hoping a substantial portion of this is people who would otherwise have taken 74 and that they will go back to 74 when it's complete.

It's almost done. About December I had heard end of May so they going to be close of the weather stays decent. They really just have to lay the final layers of a asphalt on the whole thing and it will be done.

I've been avoiding that area like-a-heck as well. I go around and get off at Western and go north. I can be home, relax and have diner ready by the time I'd be home after coming through that mess. I'll be glad when it's done though.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    It's almost done. About December I had heard end of May so they going to be close of the weather stays decent. They really just have to lay the final layers of a asphalt on the whole thing and it will be done.
    That really sucks so they are using asphalt? I thought they were just using it as the base and using a cement overlay.

I think it's concrete until they have asphalt in the non permanent area on the northern end (where it all narrows back to the old 74) where later on they'll tear out to connect the next leg. I could be wrong but I've noticed that's generally what ODOT does.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I think it's concrete until they have asphalt in the non permanent area on the northern end (where it all narrows back to the old 74) where later on they'll tear out to connect the next leg. I could be wrong but I've noticed that's generally what ODOT does.
    Yeah that is probably what they are doing.

However I wonder why they used concrete on the new crosstown but asphalt for the shoulders and the new BLVD. wtf!!

Same thing with the new I-35 design in Norman. The most recent one they did was asphalt. Why do they use asphalt on some "permanent" projects like the I-35 reconstruction in Norman and cement on others like the Crosstown project?

The northern end of 74 is concrete so I don't know why they would only use asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah that is probably what they are doing.

However I wonder why they used concrete on the new crosstown but asphalt for the shoulders and the new BLVD. wtf!!

Same thing with the new I-35 design in Norman. The most recent one they did was asphalt. Why do they use asphalt on some "permanent" projects like the I-35 reconstruction in Norman and cement on others like the Crosstown project?
    Just so you know, PluPlan, concrete and cement are two different things. Cement is one of the ingredients to make concrete. Not trying to be snarky at all.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    Just so you know, PluPlan, concrete and cement are two different things. Cement is one of the ingredients to make concrete. Not trying to be snarky at all.
    Thanks for the info. I did not know that.

From driving by, I am pretty sure this is all asphalt. I've never seen concrete overlaid on top an asphalt base, it is typically done the other way. As for why they'd use one over the other? Cost and spreading the love around to keep both industries honest on price. If you always used concrete, they'd charge more. Same reason why you see steel and concrete bridges under a certain length (over that length is almost always Steel and all of sudden when standard concrete beams aren't realistic any more, the cost of steel beams skyrockets).

Yes asphalt is a lot cheaper than concrete. Asphalt is preferred in more hot environments due to it's ability to be more easily repaired and it's flexibility. Concrete can buckle massively in heat, not to say asphalt can't but it has more give -- hence ruts from trucks over time, etc. When done correctly, asphalt is easier to maintain in the long run as you can do continuous mill-and-overlays if you have a good aggregate base. Only maintenance on concrete is to actually cut out a concrete section then pour and set but you get a lot of those in an area and you have nasty patches -- which you may remember toward the end was pretty much what the I-40 crosstown was, just a bunch of bumpy patchwork. Once you start repairs on a stretch of concrete road you'll never have that continuity of smoothness until it's just all torn out and redone. But it's no secret that concrete lasts longer. Heaven forbid you see concrete holes patched with asphalt! I've seen that before and that's not a good thing. I cannot say whether 74 has been all asphalted or not since I have only driven it once -- ironically to see how the construction was going -- however I got stuck for what seemed like forever at a light in the middle of the construction area which made me so irritated that I even forgot to really check out the construction. The intersection was closed to all east-west traffic so it was beyond me as to why the light was there to begin with. Anyway that's a different story.

Again, the northern widened section of Hwy 74 is concrete...in a lesser traveled area... Why on earth would they change over to asphalt?

Most likely it's a base layer. Side roads will probably be asphalt but I'd like to see them laying the strips of green rebar down before adding the concrete.

Time to email ODOT again...

Thread Information