Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seattle is the fifth Whitest Big City

Default Re: Seattle is the fifth Whitest Big City

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    So New Orleans is a chocolate city and Seattle is a white chocolate city. Or it could be called almond bark city.
    . . . or perhaps a "Quadruple Stuff Oreo City"?

The first comment after the article:

What is it about white liberals who seem to need to go through this hand-wringing about race? It's hard to imagine 2 black people who are residents of Detroit sitting around obsessing about "Why is Detroit so black?" As for the term, "multicultural", we need rather to think of the goal is to be a multiracial nation with one culture. Victor David Hanson says it best: "The very affluent, mostly white, liberal people who use it (the word 'multicultural') don't actually want the police in their neighborhood to have the culture of Mexican officers. They don't want to be treated with the same medical protocols that prevail in China. They don't want their daughters to have clitorectomies as in Sudan.........what they really mean is they want a core culture that is Western, enhanced by exotica on the periphery, such as fashion, food, literature, and movies."

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    The first comment after the article:
    I recon all I can say is . . . what the f-*** does one mean by "race" . . . is it something akin t' human?
    (that isn't a snarky/troll/remark . . . just in case it wasn't clear =)

I think that a factor in this discussion, leading to statistical analyses of subjects, such as this, is the fact that many of the kids and uberkids making these sorts of metaphorical statistical determinations weren't even alive when there were serious, everyday issues in play. I will admit that where I grew up the minority group was mostly Hispanic and the only five "black people" in my schools (including the U of C) were athletes or cheerleaders.

Since those primitive times . . . c. '65 to '72 . . . I have, here in Oklahoma, learned to appreciate the common qualities of good people.

Regardless of color.

One thing that I've noticed is: The Common Denominator of Folks Who Share My Perspective Here is Gray. =)
    Regardless of "race".

And that is just a little bit sad, it you think about it . . . =)

I have to admit, that, while doing a couple of walking laps around the Myriad Gardens, this morning, and smoking a cigar, in order to capture the beauty of Autumn, I tried to steer clear of those Mormon Guys sharing "My Space" . . . and simply replied, "Really Well" . . . in response to the "How you doin' today . . ?"

DP due to Matrix BS (and that is just a little bit sad, it you think about it . . . =)

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I couldn't help but note in today's Seattle times print edition where they had an article about Seattle being a very white city. I find this interesting because Seattle has a stereotype/image of being multicultural but the stats are farthest from this. I tried to find the digital version of the story to no success but Tacoma radio station KPLU had a similar article with the same stats, so I'll post that instead.

Why is Seattle such a white city? | I Wonder Why ... ? from KPLU

Highlights
    1) Portland 72.2% (holy cow)
    2) Colorado Springs 70.7%
    3) Louisville 68.3%
    4) Omaha 68%
    5) Seattle 66.3%

Tulsa 57.9%
    13) Oklahoma City 56.7%
    Nashville 56.3%
    Jacksonville 55.1%
    KCMO 54.9%
    Denver 52.2%
    Austin 48.7%

Interesting to note is that not only is Seattle 66.3% white but the percent white is increasing YoY. King County, not including Seattle, is not that much different, also significantly above 60% (but a little more diverse that the city). This is interesting because it reverses the trend nationwide AND significantly discounts a commonly help misperception that coastal cities are quite diverse.

Now, I must confirm that Seattle is very integrated with segmentation based on economics and NOT race. But this was an interesting finding to me and there does seem to be a lack of visible diversity here in the US Pac NW (Vancouver, that's a totally different story). Also interesting is Portland OR is the MOST white city in the US.

Anybody else surprised by this study? Thoughts?
    Seattle, in the area where I grew up ( South Seattle, Rainer Valley) was very multicultural. I went to Rainer Beach High School, which was a mix of white, black, Asian, Samoian, and Filipino. Loved the experience, and it's a beautiful city ( on a non-rainy day) lol. There were some neighborhoods that were mostly white, Ballard, and North Seattle.

When I live out of state, I miss the Salt Water of Puget Sound, the snow-capped mountains of the Olympic and Cascade mountain ranges, and of course the big mountain- Mt. Rainer.
    Plus, being so far north, in summer, we get long sunsets over the Olympic mountains, with twilight lasting till 10 pm.

There was a video circulating back when the SuperSonics/thunder stuff starterd. The actors portrayed themselves as the first black people to come to okc. It was kind of funny., but I thought that it was odd that people in Seattle seemed to think everyone was white in Oklahoma. I’ve spent a few weeks in Seattle and Oregon a few years back and the paleness is overwhelmingly obvious in contrast to here.

Why are we reviving multiple threads that have been dead for a decade?

I an new to this Forum, and just noticed this, I live in Seattle....

10. Default Re: Seattle is the fifth Whitest Big City

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Why are we reviving multiple threads that have been dead for a decade?
    Because someone wants to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentC View Post
    I an new to this Forum, and just noticed this, I live in Seattle....
    Is Seattle still white?

Despite how white the Pacific Northwest statistically is, I feel people outside of that region tend to underestimate how pronounced the Asian and Indigenous cultural influence is, spanning beyond ethnic lines. Even with people that appear white, there’s a lot of Russian and Ukrainian families that have migrated within the last 20-30 years, which adds to the white culture there feeling distinct to white culture in other parts of the U.S.

Thread Information