Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is the biggest waste of money?

Default What do you think is the biggest waste of money?

Honestly for me, it's taking a car to get an oil change or wash. I do that myself with the only exception of my car being dirty(which I usually don't let happen) and I need to wash it quick. Very rare that happens. It has only happens about two times.

What do you think is the biggest of money?

Here is an article about it: A Look At What Americans Waste Money On - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Oh, and one more thing, I think organic food is a big waste of money.

Default Re: What do you think is the biggest waste of money?

That's a tough choice. It's either the war on terrorism or the war on drugs. Eh, flip a coin.

3. Default Re: What do you think is the biggest waste of money?

Stew pretty much nailed it. I could probably think of a few more government functions that could be added to the list as well.

i think the point was more about individuals, not the government

I used to say if you are able bodied then you should never waste money on paying someone to do your lawn, but I've had some time crunches this year and I've probably split the duties 50/50 with a neighbor HS kid (i at least try to support a young person doing things for himself)

5. Default Re: What do you think is the biggest waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    i think the point was more about individuals, not the government
    My individual tax dollars are funding the government and I'm not happy they are wasting it on those two "wars".

But if you want another option... Credit card and loan interest

I'll take Dave Ramseys advice and say that if there's a way you can get by without it, don't buy it if you have to use credit.

ETA:
    Opps! OKBBQ beat me to it.

The difference in the amount of money long-time, loyal, Cox Communications subscribers have to pay compared to what "newbies" pay for exactly the same services.

8. Default Re: What do you think is the biggest waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    ETA:
    Opps! OKBBQ beat me to it.
    LOL... Well technically we have the same time stamp.

Politicians

Health insurance. I've paid for it since I started my first full time job and haven't been to the doctor since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Honestly for me, it's taking a car to get an oil change or wash.
    I can agree with most, but while I'll do my own oil changes because I like the control, I've found they're not really any cheaper than paying for it. 6 QTs of oil and a filter put me at close to $30 doing it myself, and that's cheap oil and filters. If I use synthetic and a better filter, I'm looking at $50-60. So it's six of one, 1/2 a dozen of another, if someone doesn't want to hassle with doing it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    The difference in the amount of money long-time, loyal, Cox Communications subscribers have to pay compared to what "newbies" pay for exactly the same services.
    That seems to be an ongoing problem with all cable/internet providers. I tend to jump back and forth between Cox and Uverse every two years, to get onto the newbie deal.

13. Default Re: What do you think is the biggest waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I can agree with most, but while I'll do my own oil changes because I like the control, I've found they're not really any cheaper than paying for it. 6 QTs of oil and a filter put me at close to $30 doing it myself, and that's cheap oil and filters. If I use synthetic and a better filter, I'm looking at $50-60. So it's six of one, 1/2 a dozen of another, if someone doesn't want to hassle with doing it themselves.
    I get a coupon from my mechanic about every 3 months for $25 off. So my oil changes usually run about $5.... I don't think I can do it any cheaper than that.

There are so many different ways to waste money. Some would be considered necessities, while other things could definitely be cut out all together without much change to lifestyle. I don't personally think about a lot of them, but one that typically raises my eyebrows in my dry cleaning bill. It pisses me off, every time I drop off/pick up but I do so.....without much thought. But, looking back at statements its always $300-$400/month for the last several years. I've tried to cut down..but alas...I always fail.

And I'm fully capable of changing my own oil as well, as I enjoy working on cars....... but its so convenient to have someone else do it for me. I can drop my car off on my way to work...they provide a loaner vehicle at no additional cost to me. When I pick my car up later that day, it has been washed/vacuumed, and is ready to go. so, until something changes in that regards...its well worth it to me, to have someone change my oil.

With most Americans, I'd say most of their money is wasted by buying new cars.

Drive Free. Retire Rich.

Brownwood Guest

Although I can change the oil, mow the lawn or do laundry, I hesitate to call it a waste because I'm knowingly paying for the convenience and time savings. I consider something a waste when I perceive getting less value than what was paid. Based on my definition, my Cox Cable bill is a waste. I don't feel like I get the value for what is paid and would "cut the cord" if not for live sports on ESPN and FOX. For the most part, I could take or leave cable programming and be fine with Netflix and HULU. The cost for COX as an ISP is in second place. Our family is reliant on an internet connection for work and school and I feel compelled to have it at almost any cost. Perhaps Google Fiber will make it's way to OKC soon.

middle management. Mostly, they only seem to get in the way of progress.

18. Default Re: What do you think is the biggest waste of money?

gym memberships

and Starbucks and cigarettes too

Me sitting here in the middle of my workday reading and commenting on OKCTalk instead of doing billable hourly work.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    yeah.... the dealership at which I work, it's actually cheaper for us to take out cars to OKC Auto and have them change the oil than it is to do it ourselves. We send quite a few cars though.

21. Default Re: What do you think is the biggest waste of money?

for some I would also throw in college. we all know people who spent a ton on college only to do nothing with their degree and have a mountain of student loan debt. Current total debt is around $850 Billion.

College isn't the answer for a lot of people. This is why I think they should encourage directional schools and trait schools in high school. just an example you don't need 4 years of college to become an electrician and you can make good money.

Looking back, I have wasted the most on new cars. I get the bug to buy one and then justify and rationalize the heck out of it until I get it. After a few years, I am yearning to go in another direction. The second was going somewhat overboard when remodeling the house. Don't really need Viking and Miele appliances.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    That's a tough choice. It's either the war on terrorism or the war on drugs. Eh, flip a coin.
    How about the war on poverty? LBJ started the war, and its only gotten worse after trillions and trillions spent

24. Default Re: What do you think is the biggest waste of money?

I remember reading that the total waste of spending really only comes in three areas military, healthcare and social security. Everything else is too small to notice if we cut.

I enjoyed that puzzle from the New York Times about balancing the budget. It was hard and I can see why people in power would be afraid to cut anything from health care, military or social security. They might as well lose all older generation votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    How about the war on poverty? LBJ started the war, and its only gotten worse after trillions and trillions spent

Thread Information