Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tamashii Ramen

Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

Patio almost complete:

Blog Entries

I was under the impression that it was already open, but in the evenings only? And that they put the furniture in the corner to lock it up?

Patio appears to be more or less complete, through it was not open during my lunchtime visit, so it may only be used in the evenings. Granted, it wasn't exactly patio weather that day either.

They are planning to put up a patio cover and do some additional improvements to their patio area:

5. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

Ate here again on Saturday night. I really love the small vibrant atmosphere of this place and their food is also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are planning to put up a patio cover and do some additional improvements to their patio area:

Hopefully that includes leveling it off. Feels kind of weird eating on a slanted table.

7. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

Good to see this! This is one of my favorite places in Midtown and I had been wondering why the patio area seemed half-finished.

I ate there two weekends ago. It was crowded and we were seated near the door which was constantly opened and let in the cold air. Very unpleasant. Server took our orders and walked away before I could put mine in (she 'zoned out'). Ramen was good but I had better at the ramen place in the Plaza District. Not a good first impression for me.

9. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

I have eaten at both Tamashii and Goro and personally I preferred Tamashii. Goro was very good, I just really enjoyed the spicy ramen at here.

Tamashii is better in my opinion, although I had a similar experience with the service there. Not the best.

The noodles at Tamashii are thicker and absorb more flavor than at Goro. It's also barely cheaper and you get more of it.

If you're into the spicy ramen at Tamashii, get the regular ramen at Goro and get the garlic/chili bomb. The regular ramen at Goro has better ingredients in general compared to their spicy.

They're making a killing during the cold weather. I come in at 1:30 (they close at 2) and the place is still packed. If I weren't by myself I'd be waiting a long time.

I think the overall quality of a basic entry-level ramen bowl is better at Goro than Tamashii. Tamashii serves a greasier product, in an environment that is kind of harsh with not so good customer service experience. Goro has more quality in its ingredients, and a better environment. I do think Goro has some management issues which are worked out over time, they are not consistent with their customer service. Some of the food at Goro is over-seasoned, to me. But I would prefer over-seasoned food to bland, greasy food.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    I think the overall quality of a basic entry-level ramen bowl is better at Goro than Tamashii. Tamashii serves a greasier product, in an environment that is kind of harsh with not so good customer service experience. Goro has more quality in its ingredients, and a better environment. I do think Goro has some management issues which are worked out over time, they are not consistent with their customer service. Some of the food at Goro is over-seasoned, to me. But I would prefer over-seasoned food to bland, greasy food.
    It's been a long time since we had Tamashii, so I don't know if it has improved or not. But this was how I felt with my first visit to Goro. Not necessarily bland, but extremely greasy. It's even been longer since I've had Kaiteki, but I felt like that was my favorite ramen in town. And to be honest, all 3 don't compare to other places throughout the country. But then again, I'm no ramen expert. Just one man's opinion.

If you guys ever head down to Dallas, hit up Monta in Richardson and report back here and compare it to what we've got here.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/monta-ramen-richardson

Checking out their website, it looks more like what I had in Tokyo than the places here.

I've been to Monta once with a group of friends and truthfully, I wasn't that impressed... Had the spicy tonkotsu ramen and added a nitamago. I was not a fan of the noodles (they tasted too flour-y) and then the next day a couple of us woke up with really bad food poisoning. Maybe they're not as authentic, but I like the ramen at Tamashii better. That said, the appetizers that we had on the table were darn good... The Chashu Buns and the Takoyaki were delicious! So maybe it was just an off night for them or something.

Tamashii is just incredible - IMO far more authentic than Goro. Goro fits for plaza district though, but tamashii has a far more Japanese feel to it. Have never had a problem with service there - but then again my wife and I are regulars so many of the staff know us.

Tamashii's Japanese curry is absolutely to die for. I have not had anything that delicious since Kyoto. Incredible. Goro's food seems to come out lukewarm, not hit - a HUGE no-no when it comes to Ramen!

18. Default Re: Tamashii Ramen

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Tamashii is just incredible - IMO far more authentic than Goro. Goro fits for plaza district though, but tamashii has a far more Japanese feel to it. Have never had a problem with service there - but then again my wife and I are regulars so many of the staff know us.

Tamashii's Japanese curry is absolutely to die for. I have not had anything that delicious since Kyoto. Incredible. Goro's food seems to come out lukewarm, not hit - a HUGE no-no when it comes to Ramen!
    The curry was just a special, right? I love Japanese curry but Tokyo's the only restaurant I know of in the city that has it on the menu permanently. I'd love to see Tamashii bring it back more often.

Quote Originally Posted by zefferoni View Post
    The curry was just a special, right? I love Japanese curry but Tokyo's the only restaurant I know of in the city that has it on the menu permanently. I'd love to see Tamashii bring it back more often.
    There is a place in L.A. called Hurry Curry of Tokyo that has about a dozen variations of Japanese curry and I loved that place.

They have a Tokyo curry which is ground beef and veggies over rice, made to any level of spiciness. I haven't found anything remotely similar in OKC.

Large Chain Re: Tamashii Ramen

A guy on the Oklahoma's Chefs/Cooks Facebook page just posted that he is looking for work because the place he was previously employed closed their doors yesterday. He listed himself as the GM of Tamashii Ramen. Anybody know if there's truth to his statement?

Not according to their fb page.

He likely hasn't updated his profile in a while; I was just there a few days ago, all seemed well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andon View Post
    He likely hasn't updated his profile in a while; I was just there a few days ago, all seemed well.
    Yes, that is,exactly the case. Got it confirmed through a TR employee. Now I wonder what it was that actually closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is a place in L.A. called Hurry Curry of Tokyo that has about a dozen variations of Japanese curry and I loved that place.

They have a Tokyo curry which is ground beef and veggies over rice, made to any level of spiciness. I haven't found anything remotely similar in OKC.

I imagine you're asking for a restaurant that serves authentic curry, but curry is actually quite easy to make at home and you can buy most curry roux bars online. Then, just add your choice of protein and vegetables and serve with short grain white rice.

House Foods and S&B Foods both make roux bars and even ready-to-eat curry that taste very authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    Yes, that is,exactly the case. Got it confirmed through a TR employee. Now I wonder what it was that actually closed.
    Perhaps the Haunted House. They did just close.

Thread Information