Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Car Spotting in OKC

Default Re: Car Spotting in OKC

I saw a red Acura NSX with a black top in rush hour traffic yesterday...but only briefly. Whoever was driving it was enjoying the heck out of it. lol This isn't OKC, but since we're all car fans here, I thought I'd post this and ask. Several times when I've been up in Enid, I've seen an old man driving an Auburn Speedster around town. I keep thinking that it has to be a replica because...who would be crazy enough to drive an original in city traffic? From the glimpses I've seen, it doesn't really look like a fiberglass body, but he doesn't seem to "baby" it so it has to be a copy, right?

2. Default Re: Car Spotting in OKC

Takes all types. I'd never have a car I didn't drive, no matter the cost. If I bought a 5 million dollar Bugatti...You'd see my butt in it all the time, grinning like an idiot.

There's a dude out here in Choctaw with a mint condition OG Mini that I see driving all the time. It's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Any car collectors here on this forum. As in vintage cars? I'd love to be able to buy and restore old cars but being the product of a single mom, I can barely change my own oil.
    I've collected a few over the years, mostly one at a time, rolling out of one before buying another. None of them were show cars. Just fun drivers. I am without at this time, but the last truck I had before we moved into Edmond was a '53 Chevy 4100 series wheat truck. The one before that was a rare '68 International 1000C short wide pickup. Then there was the '61 rambler Classic I had. I really miss that car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5025.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	9375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INT20.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	402.2 KB 
ID:	9376
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rambler Left Front Qtr.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	9377  

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    Takes all types. I'd never have a car I didn't drive, no matter the cost. If I bought a 5 million dollar Bugatti...You'd see my butt in it all the time, grinning like an idiot.

There's a dude out here in Choctaw with a mint condition OG Mini that I see driving all the time. It's awesome.
    There are a few cars I'd only drive on the track if I had them just because I wouldn't trust other drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I'm jealous. My father-in-law restores old classic trucks and I'm always in awe.

The closest I came was when I found this Roadrunner Galaxie electric car. My only accomplishment was convincing the DMV to tag it so it would be street legal - which was quite the fight.

My mechanical ability is so inept that I recently sold it for fear it would break down and simply become a door stop in my garage because I wouldn't know how to fix it.

This is a video we shot of it when we were selling it....

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you sell it for?

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I've collected a few over the years, mostly one at a time, rolling out of one before buying another. None of them were show cars. Just fun drivers. I am without at this time, but the last truck I had before we moved into Edmond was a '53 Chevy 4100 series wheat truck. The one before that was a rare '68 International 1000C short wide pickup. Then there was the '61 rambler Classic I had. I really miss that car.
    A 61 Rambler? If it was from the OKC metro area, it probably was purchased at Shepard-Richardson Nash/Rambler/American Motors. I dated the niece of Shepard and her family always had nice Ramblers. I never liked the looks but they were pretty nice cars.
    C. T.

7. Default Re: Car Spotting in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    There are a few cars I'd only drive on the track if I had them just because I wouldn't trust other drivers.
    I'm the opposite. I don't trust me on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    A 61 Rambler? If it was from the OKC metro area, it probably was purchased at Shepard-Richardson Nash/Rambler/American Motors. I dated the niece of Shepard and her family always had nice Ramblers. I never liked the looks but they were pretty nice cars.
    C. T.
    Sorry C.T. The Rambler originally came from Kenosha, Wisconsin. The same city where it was made. I was the car's third owner. It was a great car.

Here's a car built according to the latest NHTSA (national highway traffic safety administration) regulations.

Name:	10710740_10203897874186002_7286495819062440753_n.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	9387

I really pulled a "Doh!" by not taking pics of the car I saw today. It was on a car hauler with some exec type limo's and suv's. It was an old VW bug. A very old one. Light metallic blue with a wood slate luggage rack on the rear engine cover and one on top. Heavy duty bumpers front and back. The guy was just getting back from getting a bite to eat and started checking the straps and such. I got and asked him about the bug and ii is heading toward cali to some rich dude. He had bought it in Warsaw, Poland. It looked like it was from the mid 60's and immaculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I really pulled a "Doh!" by not taking pics of the car I saw today. It was on a car hauler with some exec type limo's and suv's. It was an old VW bug. A very old one. Light metallic blue with a wood slate luggage rack on the rear engine cover and one on top. Heavy duty bumpers front and back. The guy was just getting back from getting a bite to eat and started checking the straps and such. I got and asked him about the bug and ii is heading toward cali to some rich dude. He had bought it in Warsaw, Poland. It looked like it was from the mid 60's and immaculate.
    Mel,
    Funny that you should mention a 60's VW bug, there is one in the parking lot of the garage on the Northeast corner of Edmond road (2nd) and Broadway. I believe it is pre-1960. It is definitely pre-1964 because it doesn't have the round bumper that was on the 64 and later models.
    C. T.
    Last edited by ctchandler; 11-20-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

I just forget what this durned phone I have can do most times. I know the guy would have let me climb on the carrier and get some inside shots. It was on the lower ramp at the back end. Somebody had slapped some TLC on that bug. It was uber classic.

Porsche 912 looks to be in excellent shape at NW 37th and Western in parking lot west of the Crown Heights Methodist Church.

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	9522

I am going to put up a sticky note in my car to remind me my phone takes pictures. Of course some of the times I get so gobsmacked I can not do much more than stare and TRY and keep on the road.

Mel,
    Funny that you should mention a 60's VW bug, there is one in the parking lot of the garage on the Northeast corner of Edmond road (2nd) and Broadway. I believe it is pre-1960. It is definitely pre-1964 because it doesn't have the round bumper that was on the 64 and later models.
    C. T.
    I driven past that VW numerous times. It's a '65 and very slick. Those round bumpers ran up until '67 and changed to the box style for'68.

Quote Originally Posted by cxl144 View Post
    Porsche 912 looks to be in excellent shape at NW 37th and Western in parking lot west of the Crown Heights Methodist Church.

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	9522
    Wow, are old Porsches beautiful. They have some amazing lines.

I driven past that VW numerous times. It's a '65 and very slick. Those round bumpers ran up until '67 and changed to the box style for'68.
    Rezman,
    I was off by four years, my brother bought one new and I had 1964 in mind, but he hadn't graduated from high school yet, he was USG class of 1965. He bought a new 1968. I'm pretty good about cars and I can't believe I blew this one. I think it's because a Navy friend of mine had a 1964. My senility is showing.
    C. T.

Rezman,
    I was off by four years, my brother bought one new and I had 1964 in mind, but he hadn't graduated from high school yet, he was USG class of 1965. He bought a new 1968. I'm pretty good about cars and I can't believe I blew this one. I think it's because a Navy friend of mine had a 1964. My senility is showing.
    C. T.
    Not at all C. T. It's hard to tell the subtle differences between the Bug years, but they're there. ... Plus that one says '65 on the for sale sign . It's hard to believe that there were over 21 million of those produced.

Not at all C. T. It's hard to tell the subtle differences between the Bug years, but they're there. ... Plus that one says '65 on the for sale sign . It's hard to believe that there were over 21 million of those produced.
    Rezman,
    You are right, "subtle differences", but the 1959 had a small back window and from1960 on, a large back window. The first one I ever rode in was a 1959 and it had turn flippers, turn signals that swung out of the side post that separated the front seat from the back, and flashed on the left if you were signaling (turning) left and on the right if you were signaling right. By the way, it could have been a 1957, but I'm fairly sure that it's a 1959. Most changes on the Beetle were functional since it was cheap and obviously not a glamour car. My problems isn't the differences, it's the model year, in this case, I was just confused about when my younger brother bought his. My brain is a storehouse of misinformation!
    C. T.

Rezman,
    You are right, "subtle differences", but the 1959 had a small back window and from1960 on, a large back window. The first one I ever rode in was a 1959 and it had turn flippers, turn signals that swung out of the side post that separated the front seat from the back, and flashed on the left if you were signaling (turning) left and on the right if you were signaling right. By the way, it could have been a 1957, but I'm fairly sure that it's a 1959. Most changes on the Beetle were functional since it was cheap and obviously not a glamour car. My problems isn't the differences, it's the model year, in this case, I was just confused about when my younger brother bought his. My brain is a storehouse of misinformation!
    C. T.
    Sounds like you know your Beetles C.T.
    Those flipper signals, also called semaphores, were pretty cool and used up until '55 on American versions, and into the early 60's in Europe. There were several changes in the glass over the years. The oval rear glass replaced the split window in '53, and the rectangle replaced the oval in '57 and the windshield was also enlarged. In '65 the front and rear glass were enlarged again along with the side glass. Subtle changes in sheet metal took place up into the late 60's & early 70's and the Super Beetle.

Those flipper signals, also called semaphores, were pretty cool and used up until '55 on American versions, and into the early 60's in Europe. There were several changes in the glass over the years. The oval rear glass replaced the split window in '53, and the rectangle replaced the oval in '57 and the windshield was also enlarged. In '65 the front and rear glass were enlarged again along with the side glass. Subtle changes in sheet metal took place up into the late 60's & early 70's prior to the Super Beetle.
    Rezman,
    I don't know them like you do, I just remember certain things about them and the years are definitely a problem for my feeble mind.
    C. T.

Ever since the Maserati dealership opened, the amount of them on the street has quintupled. I see them almost as much as I see Mercedes.

Those flipper signals, also called semaphores, were pretty cool and used up until '55 on American versions, and into the early 60's in Europe. There were several changes in the glass over the years. The oval rear glass replaced the split window in '53, and the rectangle replaced the oval in '57 and the windshield was also enlarged. In '65 the front and rear glass were enlarged again along with the side glass. Subtle changes in sheet metal took place up into the late 60's & early 70's and the Super Beetle.
    I know that I've said this before, but my first car was a 1960 faded green VW bug with European semaphore turn signals. I drove it for about three years. Never needed snow tires even in Colorado. Couldn't keep a clutch in it and the points were constantly burning up/getting pitted. It was imported, by the previous owners on a boat from Germany but apparently some dockhand stole the relay or solenoid or whatever that could have rendered the cool turn signals operative.

Did I forget to say that I loved that car?
    Even with the European heater with the little hand actuated valve between the seats?

RetroSpective Tech Tip: When changing the ignition points on a Vintage Beetle always change the condenser as well. You will be glad that you did.

Rezman,
    I don't know them like you do, I just remember certain things about them and the years are definitely a problem for my feeble mind.
    C. T.
    You're not feeble at all C.T., your a heck of a guy from where I stand, and I enjoy your postings.

It's just been over the last couple years that I've gained more interest in old Beetles. It's amazing what prices can be fetched for nice clean vintage examples. I'd love to have that one up on the corner.

I forgot to mention that my Beetle had the obligatory upside-down American flag on one of the windows (to denote distress), a peace sign (not the devil worship peace sign but the other one) and a bumper sticker with the immortal words of John Prine: "Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore." Yup. I was one of those people. But I was only about 19 so . . .

Thread Information