Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Hyatt Place

  1. #1

    Bricktown3 Hyatt Place

    The property immediately west of the Steelyard just went under contract to the NewcrestImage hotel group out of Dallas, which is the owner of the impressive Holiday Inn Express just wrapping up construction two blocks away.

    Originally, Hyatt corporate planned to develop the parcel for a Hyatt Place but then decided to pass the deal on to one of this preferred franchise operator.

    Although the development is still likely to fly the Hyatt Place flag, there is also the possibility it will end up as another hotel brand.

    I understand the scale will be in the neighborhood of 6 stories and 180 rooms, although plans are very preliminary.

    The hotel will be developed completely separately from the Steelyard, with their own architect and design.

    The group is in the initial stages of their due dilgence which will take at least 90 days.

    http://www.newcrestimage.com/index.html

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Hopefully each hotel will be a minimum of 8 stories and preferably 12+.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Just learned today that New Crest became certified to open full-service Marriott hotels, that becomes a possibility at this site.

    Should know more in a couple of weeks.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Along with the AC Hotel, they have submitted the final plans for approval to the Bricktown Urban Design Commission and there are no major changes since the last detailed images I posted:










  5. #5

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Are those faux bricked in Windows? To match other buildings in Bricktown?

  6. Default Re: Hyatt Place

    ^^^^^^
    Yes. There was discussion about this at the informational presentation to BUDC in September. The committee members expressed distaste for them, but the architect pointed out that the walls could not have windows because of the interior configuration of those rooms, and adding windows would require complete redesign of the hotel floorplan.

    There was some discussion that they might take a different approach to the brickwork and eliminate the faux bricked-in windows, but it appears that they chose not to. Bricked-in windows seem to be sort of an ADG thing; they did something similar to the north (alley) side of the Bricktown Ballpark. I think they see it as a tribute to the surrounding area (for example Spaghetti Warehouse), but I think it's also easy to make the case that it immortalizes bad times for the district.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Wow.

    I know posts that just state nothing but disapproval for a project are looked down upon, but I don't see how anybody could be happy with this. The architect needs to redesign the interior of the rooms so they can have real windows. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel room that didn't have a window, and I can't imagine that being a good experience.

  8. Default Re: Hyatt Place

    ^^^^^^
    Those rooms have windows. Just not on that wall. Building mechanicals are a huge factor in this. To a large extent they are limited by a corporate prototype floorplan. That said, the approach of faux bricked-in windows is probably a backfire; as it has become a flashpoint. There could have been a different brick pattern and/or materials mix on the same expanse of blank wall and nobody would have noticed, if done right.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    I don't see anything wrong with it. It's just one small section. And I think including bad history is a good reminder of where we were. An abandoned industrial district. And now it's bustling with new construction everywhere.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^
    Those rooms have windows. Just not on that wall. Building mechanicals are a huge factor in this. To a large extent they are limited by a corporate prototype floorplan. That said, the approach of faux bricked-in windows is probably a backfire; as it has become a flashpoint. There could have been a different brick pattern and/or materials mix on the same expanse of blank wall and nobody would have noticed, if done right.
    How likely is it that the Bricktown Urban Design Commission will kick it back and require a redesign?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    I wonder how Hyatt's pending acquisition of Starwood will affect this hotel development boom.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I wonder how Hyatt's pending acquisition of Starwood will affect this hotel development boom.
    Hyatt is just one of several companies seeking to purchase Starwood.

  13. Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    How likely is it that the Bricktown Urban Design Commission will kick it back and require a redesign?
    It's a good question. I'm not sure.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    I wish they would place the entrance at the corner instead of the center. If they did that, I would have no issues with this.

  15. Default Re: Hyatt Place

    If they put the entrance to Hyatt Place on the corner it would face a fire lane, the train tracks and Deep Deuce, and away from Bricktown. I agree about the appeal of corner entrances in an urban environment, but I don't think it is appropriate for that specific hotel.

  16. Default Re: Hyatt Place

    In the site plans posted above, north is to the left; therefore, putting the entrance on the corner would place the entrance looking right at the railroad easement (and possible future railroad crossing). Personally, I'm okay with having the entrance in the middle, facing the police department. I also like the faux bricked-in window look - to me, it gives the building more character.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Rather than being at the corner of Firelane and Joe Carter (which was on their original renderings), it would have been better if it were mid-block at the intersection of Main and Joe Carter.

    It's an impossibly simple principle: The main entrance of buildings hoping to bring people in should be placed where there is the most traffic. Intersections (or in this case Bisections) will with a 100% success rate bring more traffic than a single portion of one of those same streets.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Rather than being at the corner of Firelane and Joe Carter (which was on their original renderings), it would have been better if it were mid-block at the intersection of Main and Joe Carter.

    It's an impossibly simple principle: The main entrance of buildings hoping to bring people in should be placed where there is the most traffic. Intersections (or in this case Bisections) will with a 100% success rate bring more traffic than a single portion of one of those same streets.
    So you think someone might be walking along the street going to the Hyatt Place and say "You know, I don't think I going to spend the night here after all because the entrance isn't at the corner"? I understand your reasoning but it doesn't apply that much for a hotel where people don't normally just randomly drop in while walking down the street.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    So you think someone might be walking along the street going to the Hyatt Place and say "You know, I don't think I going to spend the night here after all because the entrance isn't at the corner"? I understand your reasoning but it doesn't apply that much for a hotel where people don't normally just randomly drop in while walking down the street.
    One time I was in Dallas and I found a hotel that was out of sight within a six lane road but was super luxurious for $30/night. I kept on driving.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    One time I was in Dallas and I found a hotel that was out of sight within a six lane road but was super luxurious for $30/night. I kept on driving.
    Sleep, plupan.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    I'm too excited about these highway expansions. Not sure if I can.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    So you think someone might be walking along the street going to the Hyatt Place and say "You know, I don't think I going to spend the night here after all because the entrance isn't at the corner"? I understand your reasoning but it doesn't apply that much for a hotel where people don't normally just randomly drop in while walking down the street.
    No.

    What I really think is that if I were a patron of that hotel, I'd like to walk outside and have multiple vistas and options of where I could possibly walk. For instance: Domino's which would be in direct sightline of an entrance at the bisection. Instead a parking lot is right in front, encouraging the pedestrian to turn south and not look toward the West until something demands their attention.

    What I really think is that if I were the owner of this hotel, I'd want my product to be plainly visible to potential patrons and citizens alike. How many OKC residents recommend an out-of-towner consider stay at the Skirvin because of brand recognition? Placing the entrance at the bisection means the awareness of the hotel for people walking on that portion of Main Street would heighten.

    I'm not saying this development is a failure or that this is an egregious error…but this absolutely is the kind of attention to detail that sets apart great development from good development, great districts from good districts, and great cities from good cities. This is good development. Bricktown is a good district. OKC is a good city. I will always love it and cherish it and be content with good enough here. But I'd really prefer we strive to be great…especially when it's at the tip of our fingers.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    No.

    What I really think is that if I were a patron of that hotel, I'd like to walk outside and have multiple vistas and options of where I could possibly walk. For instance: Domino's which would be in direct sightline of an entrance at the bisection. Instead a parking lot is right in front, encouraging the pedestrian to turn south and not look toward the West until something demands their attention.

    What I really think is that if I were the owner of this hotel, I'd want my product to be plainly visible to potential patrons and citizens alike. How many OKC residents recommend an out-of-towner consider stay at the Skirvin because of brand recognition? Placing the entrance at the bisection means the awareness of the hotel for people walking on that portion of Main Street would heighten.

    I'm not saying this development is a failure or that this is an egregious error…but this absolutely is the kind of attention to detail that sets apart great development from good development, great districts from good districts, and great cities from good cities. This is good development. Bricktown is a good district. OKC is a good city. I will always love it and cherish it and be content with good enough here. But I'd really prefer we strive to be great…especially when it's at the tip of our fingers.
    Again, I understand your reasoning but you changed your argument. At first you were only concerned about bringing people in. I just don't think it's a significant issue for this particular development and believe it will have zero affect on it's success.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Again, I understand your reasoning but you changed your argument. At first you were only concerned about bringing people in. I just don't think it's a significant issue for this particular development and believe it will have zero affect on it's success.
    I'm not sure you read my post very thoroughly. I didn't change my argument at all. The goal of this business is to bring people in and in the earlier post I never said that's all I was concerned with.

    My last 3 sentences argued that it's not a significant issue. I admitted that it's good development. You're content with that and so am I. It could be better. I explained how and you've failed to refute that explanation, but sought to minimize it for a reason that is unclear to me.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Hyatt Place

    Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I'm not sure you read my post very thoroughly. I didn't change my argument at all. The goal of this business is to bring people in and in the earlier post I never said that's all I was concerned with.

    My last 3 sentences argued that it's not a significant issue. I admitted that it's good development. You're content with that and so am I. It could be better. I explained how and you've failed to refute that explanation, but sought to minimize it for a reason that is unclear to me.
    Well, I guess we just disagree on some issues then and I did read your post very thoroughly. I guess you understood what you meant better than I did. I stand by what I said, for what it's worth, and it's not worth any more arguing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2011, 09:22 AM
  2. best place.
    By pedro in forum General Food & Drink Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
  3. Need a place....help!!
    By sammiam832 in forum General Food & Drink Topics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 10:19 AM
  4. So Where Is This Place?
    By kevinpate in forum General Food & Drink Topics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 07:06 PM
  5. Hyatt coming to OKC
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-28-2007, 12:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO