Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

I guess RH is okay with a 2025 opening.

I'll see myself out lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard85 View Post
    I guess RH is okay with a 2025 opening.

I'll see myself out lol
    Plot twist: they are not ok with opening in 2025. The regional manager has been losing sleep on it. Lol

Is there any planned improvements to the intersection at all when this is done?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Plot twist: they are not ok with opening in 2025. The regional manager has been losing sleep on it. Lol
    Do you know what happened and why their construction started so much later than the others?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Is there any planned improvements to the intersection at all when this is done?
    Which intersection? There have already been changes at the NWX and Penn intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    Do you know what happened and why their construction started so much later than the others?
    Oh my god

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Which intersection? There have already been changes at the NWX and Penn intersection.
    Sorry, I meant the whole intersection. I know they did changes for the bus lane, but I am curious if there would be pedestrian improvements in case people want to walk from PSM to OAK.

Interactions like this is why I would think that a pedestrian bridge should be in order. NWX is a massive 6-lane stroad with a patch of grass serving as a divider, but crosswalks could prove hazardous to pedestrians as there are inattentive drivers. I know that would make it more car-friendly, but we have to have some measure of safety for those who are disabled or young looking to make the trek across what is basically a 6x9-lane intersection (including turning and bus lanes).

Oak construction update video

Drove by on Penn the other day. The angle of the hotel really "hides" its size for people traveling on NWX. When you go by on Penn it just feels so much bigger. I think having Brick so far up the East elevation makes it feel even bigger - something about those small individual units makes mid-rise buildings feel larger.

Really wish the office was set to be as tall as it used to be. I think new buildings in this area of the city that surpass 10 floors would really do a lot to highlight just how critical this section of NWX is to the greater OKC area. There's a reason that it was chosen for BRT and continues to hit home runs with retail.

Hey Gaeddert2, Thanks for that very comprehensive trip through The Oak. This project is nothing less than terrific. Between your and Pete’s drones and Pete’s excellent photographs and updates, the construction of this project will have been as fully documented, in real time, as any development in our city’s history.

Does everyone think the OAK and Penn Square can co-exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Not sure about everyone, but I certainly do.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Not sure about everyone, but I certainly do.
    I know in Dallas, Northpark co-exists with The Shops at Parklane which is across the highway. Parklane reminds me of The Oak. But Dallas is also a lot larger market.

15. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Classen Curve has co-existed with the Belle Isle Station and Penn Square for years. This is another reason why Oak developers see this as the perfect spot.

Two completely different types of retail. More options + the hotel and apartments should do nothing but bring more people into the area and help both

Quote Originally Posted by SagerMichael View Post
    Two completely different types of retail. More options + the hotel and apartments should do nothing but bring more people into the area and help both
    What I'm noticing is Penn shifting more to traditional mall retailers, especially with the demise of Quail Springs. Penn Square is essentially the last major retail center for traditional mall retailers in the OKC market, with Quail Springs winding down. Local shops like BC Clark, Mr. Ooleys, etc. are leaving. And more upscale stores like Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn are more traditionally located in mixed use open air shops. Just look at Tulsa...they're located in Utica Square, not Woodland Hills. I guess if Utica Square and Woodland Hills can co-exist, Penn and OAK can co-exist.

Penn Square and OAK are going after different markets. They absolutely can co-exist and most cities have examples of enclosed traditional malls and upscale outdoor centers, often in close proximity.

I do wonder a little bit about the competition between OAK and Classen Curve/Nichols Hills Plaza. Those concepts are similar enough that they may be fighting for the same tenants. Although at this point OAK seems to be exclusively national names, where CC/NHP have more local places.

Restaurants and retail generally do best en masse, especially retail.

Downtown and Memorial Rd. will suffer from Oak more than Penn Square/Classen Curve

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Restaurants and retail generally do best en masse, especially retail.

Downtown and Memorial Rd. will suffer from Oak more than Penn Square/Classen Curve
    Memorial will not suffer, and I doubt downtown will either. It isn't an either/or situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Memorial will not suffer, and I doubt downtown will either. It isn't an either/or situation.
    Memorial will be fine in general, but it no doubt has to compete with this area.

Downtown retail almost surely suffers from the success of the Belle Isle/Penn/Classen&63rd area.

Absolutely, retail supports retail, this is the main shopping hub for a huge chunk of Oklahoma in general. Especially in the case of large destination retailers like department stores and brand flagship / magnet kinds of stores that have 1 maybe 2 locations max in the entire state, being close to other major retail outlets only helps.

Now, who do I have to kill to finally get a F*cking Nordstrom (or any like, REAL department store) in this god forsaken city ?!?! I'm still so irritated that this development is so exciting and attractive and just has the most painfully dull, pedestrian retailers I could have imagined, I mean, I'll be glad the Williams and Sonoma is coming back, but outside of that this adds no hot modern retail stores of any kind. I hope that changes as the project nears completion, but so far it is just like, oh cool another dated but slightly repackaged concept from a mall 10 years ago, mall clothes, mall furniture, bleh. Beautiful development with a list of flyover state stores, it's a bummer

When was the last time Nordstrom opened a new store that wasn't a Rack?

The reality is that the number of department stores of 125,000 square feet and up isn't really growing. Especially not "hot modern" ones.

So, I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon in this market or any of the not forsaken ones, either.

It has to be said that Dillard's -- and especially the two large stores at Penn Square -- is darn good. Von Maur, too.

I used to love Nordies when I lived in L.A. and had to wear a suit every day (*suit*, not a sportcoat and no casual Fridays) and their customer service is outstanding, but I started to buy only tailor-made clothing from an outfit that would come to your office and they were no more expensive and infinitely better.

Nordstrom sportswear and casual stuff can be bought in other places, including online. I'm not sure they are nearly as relevant as they once were in the 90s and 00s. And they really are just a big clothing and accessories store, not a true department store.

Now Bloomingdale's would be a big deal but that is never going to happen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Memorial will be fine in general, but it no doubt has to compete with this area.

Downtown retail almost surely suffers from the success of the Belle Isle/Penn/Classen&63rd area.
    How so?

Thread Information