Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: National Basketball Association

1. Default Re: National Basketball Association

I'd say the top 20 are superstars. DWade isn't int the top 20.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

2. Default Re: National Basketball Association

and even some of the top 20 I wouldn't call superstar. Marc Gasol? Rudy Gay? Bosh? Amare? come on, they aren't even first team.

Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    and even some of the top 20 I wouldn't call superstar. Marc Gasol? Rudy Gay? Bosh? Amare? come on, they aren't even first team.
    Gasol and Bosh could certainly be considered among the best 20 players in the league. Just depends on your list and what you value. Obviously not Amare and Gay. But contracts are obviously not a great measure of best players particularly considering how longevity in the league affects contracts. For example, LeBron has never been the highest paid player on a team until this season.

Blog Entries

NBA 2014-15 Player Salaries:

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries

NBA Player Salaries - National Basketball Association - ESPN

“Look at it like this,” Durant explained. “Kobe Bryant brings in a lot of money to Los Angeles, that downtown area. People go to watch the Lakers. Clippers are getting up there, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and those guys are bringing in a lot of money as well. Look at Cleveland, look at Miami when LeBron was there. These guys are worth more than what they are making because of the amount of money they bring to that area. That’s a conversation you can always have, but until it’s changed you never know what will happen to it.”
    Kevin Durant is right, top NBA players are underpaid with max salaries | ProBasketballTalk

NBA is a true microcosm of society; many employees believe they are worth more than what they are paid. There are a lot of people who would be satisfied with 10% of what these professional athletes make.

I've never been to a Thunder game. Too expensive for my budget. Players are going to price themselves out of a job. A new game of kings I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I've never been to a Thunder game. Too expensive for my budget. Players are going to price themselves out of a job. A new game of kings I guess.
    Seriously? My season ticket costs $12 per game. That's amazing value for a world class product. You can get $20 tickets to games on the street before a game as long as you're not trying to see a top one.

Blog Entries

NBA Re: National Basketball Association

Is Louisville Ready?

Attendance for the NBA preseason game between Miami-New Orleans drew 20,074. The exclusive use by the University of Louisville for the KFC Yum Center will be a tall hurdle for the NBA.

And if expansion’s out, Lousiville goes on a list that includes Seattle first and foremost, Kansas City, San Jose, Anaheim, Vancouver, another Chicago franchise, and a few other places. They probably land somewhere between the California markets and right around, if not above, Kansas City. The big problem? Their arena. The city wants to use the KFC Yum! Center (which I will never, ever call it if they do get a team) which is owned by the University.

Louisville is totally serious about getting an NBA team | ProBasketballTalk

But will there ever be more to the NBA in Louisville than exhibitions?

What's next for the NBA in Louisville?

Yum Center? It could have been worst, KFC originally wanted the naming-rights to call the arena the KFC Bucket:

If Heisley moves his team to Louisville, Tricon would pay millions in naming rights to an arena to be called the KFC Bucket.

Two Cities Propose New Arenas for Grizzlies - Los Angeles Times

Is expansion more likely than retraction? I'm not sure...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Retraction would be very unpopular. You would reduce your market footprint. In order to have a real impact; NBA would have to retract four or five franchises; then a disposal draft or redistribution of the players on the franchises retracted.

We are very fortunate to have two superstars on the Thunder roster along with some potentially potent rising stars in Serge Ibaka, Reggie Jackson and Steven Adams.

There are more than enough teams in the NBA. Retraction would not be a popular move.

Free Agency 2011: The Impact a Retraction Would Have on the NBA This Year | Bleacher Report

The NBA will probably not see an expansion until 2025.

10. San Antonio Spurs
    11. Oklahoma City Thunder
    12. Portland Trail Blazers

The Business Of Basketball List - Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Retraction is not going to happen, expansion is just really unlikely.

Blog Entries

Negotiations on an extension for small forward Kawhi Leonard have hit a standstill.

Extension talks between Leonard, Spurs at a standstill Spurs Nation - San Antonio Spurs News, Scores, Stats & Analysis ? Spurs Nation

Blog Entries

The NBA enters its 8th season in OKC, here's a glance at NBA attendance--team won-lost records in Oklahoma City from 2005-06 to 2014-15:

New Orleans-Oklahoma City Hornets

2005-06 18,168 - 38-44 2005-2006 NBA Regular Season Conference Standings - National Basketball Association - ESPN
    2006-07 17,833 - 39-43 2006-2007 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN
    2007-08 (DNP: Transition year, Hornets returned to New Orleans)

Additional reading, accolades for OKC: A Hornets Oklahoma City Reader

Oklahoma City Thunder

2008-09 18,693 - 23-59 2005-2006 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN
    2009-10 18,003 - 50-32
    2010-11 18,148 - 55-27
    2011-12 18,203 - 47-19 Arena downsized renovation from 19,163 to 18,203
    2012-13 18,203 - 60-22
    2013-14 18,203 - 59-23
    2014-15 Current season 2014-2015 NBA Regular Season Conference Standings - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Chesapeake Energy Arena
    Broke ground: May 11, 1999 - Opened: June 8, 2002
    Construction cost: $89.2 million/$95 million (renovation) 2009,Total Investment: $184.2 million
    Names: Ford Center, Oklahoma City Arena, Chesapeake Energy Arena
    Capacities
    19,163 (2002–2006)
    19,164 (2006–2008)
    19,136 (2008–2009)
    18,203 (2009–present)

13. Default Re: National Basketball Association

I still count the peake as a new arena, since the renovation was completed in 2009 and THAT really made it an NBA arena. So the arena is 5-years old.

I suspect we'd need a new arena in 2030, with perhaps another renovation before then in 2020 to keep things alive.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I still count the peake as a new arena, since the renovation was completed in 2009 and THAT really made it an NBA arena. So the arena is 5-years old.

I suspect we'd need a new arena in 2030, with perhaps another renovation before then in 2020 to keep things alive.
    There was some major differences between the current generation of NBA arenas and the generation before the building boom of new arenas around the 90s, at this point though there has still not been anything really new that should make renovations on most of the current facilities a more viable option. (Not that I expect it will stop teams for wanting to just get new arenas subsidized every 20-30 years)

Blog Entries

Research collected on selected cities with previous NBA arenas:

Selected City Arena Period Occupied Years
    Charlotte, NC Charlotte, Coliseum 1988-2005 17 years
    Cleveland, OH Richfield, Coliseum 1974-1994 20 years
    Dallas, TX Reunion Arena 1980–2001 21 years
    Houston, TX Summit Arena 1975-2002 27 years
    Orlando, FL T. D. Waterhouse Center 1989-2010 21 years
    Philadelphia, PA Spectrum Arena 1967-1995 28 years
    Portland, OR Portland Memorial Coliseum 1970-1995 25 years
    Sacramento, CA Sleep Train Arena 1988-2016 28 years
    San Antonio, TX HemisFair Arena 1973-1993 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    There was some major differences between the current generation of NBA arenas and the generation before the building boom of new arenas around the 90s, at this point though there has still not been anything really new that should make renovations on most of the current facilities a more viable option. (Not that I expect it will stop teams for wanting to just get new arenas subsidized every 20-30 years)
    Agree!

NBA arenas are good for 20-25 years. Chesapeake Energy Arena opened in 2002, originally occupied by the Thunder in 2008-09; you're probably looking at some kind of renovation/replacement arena after 2025. This could be included in a future MAPS referendum.

OKC has invested $193 million in the Peake ( Construction - $89.2/ $103.5 - upgraded) which excludes $10 million used to build the new practice facility.

The biggest thing that will impact us and our arena is what happens in Milwaukee. It's a similar market (not sure anyone could expect we could compete with the new arena in San Francisco) but if the Milwaukee arena blows us out of the water, you'll star to hear clamor that our is obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    The biggest thing that will impact us and our arena is what happens in Milwaukee. It's a similar market (not sure anyone could expect we could compete with the new arena in San Francisco) but if the Milwaukee arena blows us out of the water, you'll star to hear clamor that our is obsolete.
    With there being rumors the Bucks are trying to get something started on a new arena now, that might not have as big an impact on us than if they waited another ten years, since ours is still in the newest quarter of NBA facilities. Probably what will be interesting in the next round will be what happens in the cities that are still not in financial shape to build an arena. Will suburban arenas come back into vogue or will there be some shifts to markets that have had guys trying to get teams for years.

With there being rumors the Bucks are trying to get something started on a new arena now, that might not have as big an impact on us than if they waited another ten years, since ours is still in the newest quarter of NBA facilities. Probably what will be interesting in the next round will be what happens in the cities that are still not in financial shape to build an arena. Will suburban arenas come back into vogue or will there be some shifts to markets that have had guys trying to get teams for years.
    They have to start building by 2017 or the owners can back out. That would put a new arena open no later than 2020 (maybe 2018 if they start next year). You aren't wrong about the timing but if this one blows the Peake out of the water, then we'll see it coming.

Note: not saying it will. I think we have a great arena. We'll have to see if New Orleans or Salt Lake builds a new arena in the early 2020s.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    They have to start building by 2017 or the owners can back out. That would put a new arena open no later than 2020 (maybe 2018 if they start next year). You aren't wrong about the timing but if this one blows the Peake out of the water, then we'll see it coming.

Note: not saying it will. I think we have a great arena. We'll have to see if New Orleans or Salt Lake builds a new arena in the early 2020s.
    Oh, I did not mean they were trying to start construction now, I meant it sounds like they are trying to get an agreement out of the city supporting a new building in the near future, which so far has not made any public progress.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: National Basketball Association

A minor upgrade to the Bradley Center will extend the life of the Bucks for a few years.. They don't want to have to endure another loss of a major league franchise ( MLB: Braves relocated to Atlanta in 1966). Wisconsin's largest city was awarded an MLB expansion franchise (Brewers) in 1970.

The recent remodel of the BMO Harris Bradley Center was just a 'band aid' fix. Milwaukee would not want to lose their beloved Bucks; it will take some bucks to keep the 'Bucks' in Milwaukee.

Silver had just completed a tour of the Bradley Center, and he found several major issues that plague the arena, despite recent renovations:

"At the end of the day compared to other modern arenas in the league, this arena is a few hundred thousand square feet too small," Silver said. "It doesn't have the sort of back-of-house space you need, doesn't have the kinds of amenities we need.

"It doesn't have the right sort of upper bowl/lower bowl (seating) configuration for the teams frankly that Milwaukee wants to compete against," he said.
    The Milwaukee Bucks' Bradley Center problem - SBNation.com

Milwaukee knows that the 25-year old BMO Harris Bradley Center will have to be replaced.

Cities that are on Adam Silver's 'short list' for relocation include: Kansas City, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Richmond, Rochester, St. Louis and Seattle; several of these cities are overextended markets. Louisville would become a nice 'breakthrough' market with the 20,000-seat KFC Yum Center for NBA relocation since they do have a new arena in place. Raleigh would become an overextended market with the NHL and the NBA in the same building.

Blog Entries

NBA in OKC

As we monitor the situation with the Milwaukee Bucks in need of a new venue; it won't hurt to plan ahead.

When 'The Peake' becomes obsolete, it could play a role with the new convention center complex. The old Cox Convention Center would be a nice parcel for a new arena post 2020.

Note: Oklahoma City will be safe for now until 'The Peake' reaches its prime sometime after 2020. A future MAPS referendum is a voter initiative finance vehicle which could decide a new quality arena for OKC post Chesapeake Energy Arena. This could involve some help from the current primary tenant...

Oh, I did not mean they were trying to start construction now, I meant it sounds like they are trying to get an agreement out of the city supporting a new building in the near future, which so far has not made any public progress.
    Right. I believe if a deal isn't struck by 2017 the owners can legally remove themselves from the team. I'm assuming the NBA would step in and sell it to someone who will relocate to another area.

It'll be interesting to see how arenas evolve over the next 10-15 years and how that will influence the kind of building we'll be asked to build.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City Barons
    Oklahoma City Blue
    Oklahoma City Energy FC
    Oklahoma City RedHawks
    Oklahoma City Thunder

Thank you for all the things you do in your Oklahoma City Community.

Blog Entries

Mark Cuban's suggests NBA realignment.

In Cuban's plan, the Mavs, San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and New Orleans Pelicans would move to the Eastern Conference. The Chicago Bulls, Indiana Pacers, Detroit Pistons and Milwaukee Bucks would move to the West.
    Mark Cuban of Dallas Mavericks -- Conference realignment could benefit NBA - ESPN Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    I generally like the idea, but why even use the conferences for playoff seeding? What about just seeding 1-16 irregardless of conference?

Thread Information