Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: National Basketball Association

Blog Entries

NBA Re: National Basketball Association

Key dates for 2018-19 NBA season
    Notable upcoming dates, season milestones and key NBA initiatives: http://www.nba.com/key-dates

Blog Entries

Default Re: National Basketball Association

Blog Entries

Tomorrow, January 21 is the last day of NBA All Star voting; your selections will count twice...

NBA All Star 20196 vote: https://vote.nba.com/?referrer#/

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City's Historic Skirvin Hotel

Skirvin ghost tales may get a Hollywood treatment:

The Skirvin Hilton Hotel and Effie, the fabled ghost who supposedly haunts the historic landmark, may soon be featured a Hollywood movie based on tales told by NBA players who say they've had encounters with the tragic and sometimes amorous apparition...

...We were quite aware of Effie, who legend says was a former maid impregnated by the hotelier and oil wildcatter W.B. Skirvin and then locked in the room on the 10th floor until she gave birth.

ESPN and Variety reported Monday afternoon the hotel will get the Hollywood spotlight with Imagine Entertainment announcing it has optioned an upcoming Players' Tribune oral history article on the Skirvin with the movie set to star Kyrie Irving of the Boston Celtics and “Uncle Drew” fame.

The reports do not indicate whether the studio will be filming at the historic hotel, but based on past response by the hotel's current owners, Marcus Hotels and Resorts, film crews may find themselves unwelcome guests.

Once the baby was born, the tale goes, Effie jumped, baby in her arms, to her death.

Repeat after me: It never happened.

Skirvin ghost may get a Hollywood treatment: https://www.oklahoman.com/skirvin-gh...rticle/5621437

Dallas Mavs just got better. Especially with the potential rookie of the year on the roster already.
    https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/1/...vericks-knicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Dallas Mavs just got better. Especially with the potential rookie of the year on the roster already.
    https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/1/...vericks-knicks
    wow... that's just crazy

Saving clicks

DSJ + DJ + Wesley Mathews + first round pick for KP, Tim Hardaway Jr, Courtney Lee, and Trey Burke.

Blog Entries

The New York Knicks are finalizing a deal to trade Kristaps Porzingis to the Dallas Mavericks, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. The deal, according to the New York Times’ Marc Stein, will send Dennis Smith Jr., DeAndre Jordan and Wesley Matthews to New York, and Porzingis, Courtney Lee and Tim Hardaway Jr. to the Mavericks. There may be more draft assets to follow, according to Wojnarowski.
    With the numbers 19-year-old Doncic is putting up; along with those support players, Dallas (23-27) will be a nightmare for any team if they make the playoffs.

Presti will make a mid season move; because the WC playoffs is now up for grabs...

BTW: What's the status on Dre; also Alex Abrines will need to step up his game and minutes now that he's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    With the numbers 19-year-old Doncic is putting up; along with those support players, Dallas (23-27) will be a nightmare for any team if they make the playoffs.

Presti will make a mid season move; because the WC playoffs is now up for grabs...

BTW: What's the status on Dre; also Alex Abrines will need to step up his game and minutes now that he's back.
    I saw a Billy quote recently that said Roberson is doing some non contact stuff right now and is nowhere near getting on the court.

Has Kristops even played this year ?

Seems like he's hurt most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Has Kristops even played this year ?

Seems like he's hurt most of the time.
    He had an ACL injury. He hasn't played in a year.

Blog Entries

Update on Seattle Center's Key Arena...

New Seattle Center arena to cost an estimated $850 million: https://www.king5.com/article/news/l.../281-621138581

Check out these renderings of the new arena at Seattle Center: https://q13fox.com/2018/07/12/first-...center-photos/

I hope Adam Silver is more forgiving than David Stern was. I didn't think Stern would ever allow the NBA to return to Key Arena, regardless of what was done to it. Silver might not have the same level of personal animus. I think the biggest challenge going forward is sharing the overall arena revenue with both an NHL and NBA teams as "anchor" tenants.

I think Seattle is going to be the first expansion market for the NBA, but, it may be over 10 years before they expand. And I don't think any team is going to relocate within the next 25 years.

14. Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I hope Adam Silver is more forgiving than David Stern was. I didn't think Stern would ever allow the NBA to return to Key Arena, regardless of what was done to it. Silver might not have the same level of personal animus. I think the biggest challenge going forward is sharing the overall arena revenue with both an NHL and NBA teams as "anchor" tenants.

I think Seattle is going to be the first expansion market for the NBA, but, it may be over 10 years before they expand. And I don't think any team is going to relocate within the next 25 years.
    Not so fast. The Pelicans might be flying away to Seattle unless they can swing a deal for Anthony Davis that brings in names (or draft picks) that will fill seats. Mediocre Lakers players will not do that. If they work a deal with the Knicks and land the #1 pick, Zion Williamson might fill seats and possible save the franchise. I just don't have good feelings about their staying power down there.

15. Default Re: National Basketball Association

Weren't the Bobcats an expansion franchise? I couldn't remember.

As for the Pelicans, I think they have been on life support for some time now. I have deep roots in Louisiana and no one cares about the Pelicans. I'm actually surprised they have lasted this long, but their current lease does end in 2024. I think this Anthony Davis debacle might have sealed their fate.

I have heard it reported on a national sports program that the current owner wants to focus on her other team, the Saints. Should she hold Davis through his contract next year, the asset will be more valuable when she sells to a Seattle ownership group.

17. Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I have heard it reported on a national sports program that the current owner wants to focus on her other team, the Saints. Should she hold Davis through his contract next year, the asset will be more valuable when she sells to a Seattle ownership group.
    That would be the smart play. They don't HAVE to move him now.

I recall the Bobcats were the last team added, about 15-20 years ago. I don't think the NBA wants anything to do with relocating any team, especially New Orleans. The Pelicans do well enough, even if it isn't great, and the national of image of the city rebuilding after Katrina is still fresh enough to heartburn for the league if they left. I'm guessing the NBA would prefer other local ownership to step up and buy the Pelicans from Mrs. Benson.

I think the NBA is such an important part of any city's image nowadays that the league wants stability if at all possible. And when Sacramento kept the Kings from leaving for Seattle a few years ago we saw that new dynamic in full display. Cities want to keep their NBA teams more than ever in the league's history.

Blog Entries

The Horses' mouth:

2018-19 NBA Trade Tracker: Raptors add Marc Gasol for playoff run; 76ers send Markelle Fultz to Orlando: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...tz-to-orlando/

Blog Entries

Wasn't Marc Gasol, a person of interest connected to some missing cattle in Oklahoma--it was believed he ate the evidence...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Not so fast. The Pelicans might be flying away to Seattle unless they can swing a deal for Anthony Davis that brings in names (or draft picks) that will fill seats. Mediocre Lakers players will not do that. If they work a deal with the Knicks and land the #1 pick, Zion Williamson might fill seats and possible save the franchise. I just don't have good feelings about their staying power down there.
    They definitely need to fill some seats; Memphis Grizzlies may be a fit for Seattle. Here's where NOLA rank among the 5 NBA small markets:

Salt Lake City Utah Jazz 494,262 - 18,306 91.9
    Oklahoma City Thunder 455,075 - 18,203 100.0
    Milwaukee Bucks 470,246 - 17,416 100.4
    New Orleans Pelicans 392,367 - 15,694 91.3
    Memphis Grizzlies 382,007 - 15,280 84.3

Source: NBA Attendance 2018-19 http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

Blog Entries

The Seattle fans want their Supersonics back; Oklahoma City will become a bigger rival than Portland, Utah, Los Angeles or Milwaukee. There is no love for 'OKC' on the message boards since the Sonics' relocation.

Seattle's lament:

1970: Seattle Pilots moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers.

1996: Remember when the Seahawks almost moved to L.A.? https://www.king5.com/article/sports.../281-385662645

2008:
    Seattle SuperSonics moved to Oklahoma City and became the Thunder.

Seattle's anger toward Oklahoma City is the result of Milwaukee & Los Angeles' actions of the past. Seattle obtained franchises thru expansion; Seattle Pilots were relocated to Milwaukee. Los Angeles attempted to hijack the Seahawks and Oklahoma City's Supersonic ownership group relocated the team to OKC in 2008.

Milwaukee & Sacramento were given time to build new NBA arenas; whereas Seattle felt they weren't given the same treatment.

New Orleans & Memphis are current NBA franchises not on solid foundations--Seattle now feels that relocation is 'fair game.'

The Seattle fans want their Supersonics back; Oklahoma City will become a bigger rival than Portland, Utah, Los Angeles or Milwaukee. There is no love for 'OKC' on the message boards since the Sonics' relocation.

Seattle's lament:

1996: Remember when the Seahawks almost moved to L.A.? https://www.king5.com/article/sports.../281-385662645

2008:

Seattle's anger toward Oklahoma City is the result of Milwaukee & Los Angeles' actions of the past. Seattle obtained franchises thru expansion; Seattle Pilots were relocated to Milwaukee. Los Angeles attempted to hijack the Seahawks and Oklahoma City's Supersonic ownership group relocated the team to OKC in 2008.

Milwaukee & Sacramento were given time to build new NBA arenas; whereas Seattle felt they weren't given the same treatment.

New Orleans & Memphis are current NBA franchises not on solid foundations--Seattle now feels that relocation is 'fair game.'
    They don't feel Bennett was sincere trying to get an arena built out there. But he did put forth a lot of effort on an arena and was rebuffed. The coffee guy also couldn't get anything done so he sold the team. Seattle had plenty of time to get an arena built but they just couldn't get it done. They have no one to be mad at but themselves. They can cry in their coffee all they want. Hopefully Memphis and Nola can get things on the right track and keep their teams.

Seattle's lament:

2008:

This post is a little confusing. While your focus seems to be on basketball, the baseball add makes it confusing. The Pilots were in Seattle for only one year before the were in bankruptcy court. The franchise was not relocated in the traditional sense, it was bought in bankruptcy court. Talking about a new arena in Milwaukee has nothing to do with the Brewers or baseball. The Bucks had nothing to do with the Brewers.

Two things:

Seattle sued when the Pilots moved, and part of the settlement was that they got the expansion Mariners as soon as the county built the King Dome (1977).

The part about Milwaukee and Sacramento is Seattle sour graping about those cities getting more time to make a new arena deal than Seattle did. I do not think that is accurate.

And it is my opinion that the Seattle situation made the NBA decide to work harder to keep teams from moving in the future. Which means Memphis and New Orleans are not moving.

Thread Information